Sign in to follow this  
Frostweasel

Expansion order

Hi all,

I've finally acquired my own copy of EH after gaming with a friend for a long while and I'm introducing it to another group. Everyone is enjoying it but we find we are chewing through the encounter cards too quickly in the base game due to the relative low number of continent specific cards available.

Therefore I'm looking at acquiring an expansion or two to bulk out these decks as well as adding some new ancient ones and items etc. Now my question is as follows: does it matter what expansion I go for first? Forsaken Lore is almost impossible to get at the moment as its awaiting reprint, otherwise I'd have gone for it first. Are there any mechanics in Strange Remnants that are introduced and explained properly in MoM?

I'm familiar ish with all of the content but have almost no idea of what comes with what. Any advice?

It does matter. If you can't buy the Forsaken Lore then I would go for Strange Remnants. Mountains of Madness may have more content but A LOT of it is used only with the Antarctica board.

Edited by tsuma534

It does matter. If you can't buy the Forsaken Lore then I would go for Strange Remnants. Mountains of Madness may have more content but A LOT of it is used only with the Antarctica board.

Both MoM and SR add the very same number of encounter cards to the already existing encounters deck (4 each for General, America, Europe and Asia), the same number of OW cards (6). No expedition cards are added with SR, but 6 new cards are added in MoM.

So, basically, they have the same number of new encounters. MoM adds a lot more stuff on other fields, tho: a new board, two AOs instead of 1, a richer adventure, and more Preludes.

MoM and SR hence enhance the core game experience in the same way, but MoM gives you more in general.

Both MoM and SR add the very same number of encounter cards to the already existing encounters deck(...)

So, basically, they have the same number of new encounters. (..)

...yet MoM is twice as expensive.

Large part of MoM's price goes towards the Antarctica sideboard and it's features. Having core game and MoM, you're are using all that stuff in approximately 1 in 6 games.

@Frostweasel: You already know that you need the Forsaken Lore. Strange Remnants should give you enough content to have fun until FL reprint arrives. While saving 25$* for the FL.

Also, the Mystic Ruins deck gives the functional benefit of having new encounter sites without the need of setting up an additional board. It's easier to use Mystic Ruins with any AO, than incorporate the Antarctica.

*I assume that if cost was irrevelant, then you would just buy both MoM and SR.

Edited by tsuma534

Forsaken Lore first. It vastly expands the encounters for the first AOs in the game. It is more of a patch than an expansion.

Well I would get it but as I said in my original post its out of print and very hard to get hold of at the moment. Therefore I need to consider the other expansions in the meantime.

Both MoM and SR add the very same number of encounter cards to the already existing encounters deck(...)So, basically, they have the same number of new encounters. (..)

...yet MoM is twice as expensive.

Large part of MoM's price goes towards the Antarctica sideboard and it's features. Having core game and MoM, you're are using all that stuff in approximately 1 in 6 games.

@Frostweasel: You already know that you need the Forsaken Lore. Strange Remnants should give you enough content to have fun until FL reprint arrives. While saving 25$* for the FL.

Also, the Mystic Ruins deck gives the functional benefit of having new encounter sites without the need of setting up an additional board. It's easier to use Mystic Ruins with any AO, than incorporate the Antarctica.*I assume that if cost was irrevelant, then you would just buy both MoM and SR.

It's less of a costing issue and more of a "don't overwhelm the newbies" decision. The main issue is that having personally played with all 3 currently available, I need more depth as I've already absorbed the main game. My gaming team however haven't so I want to add depth and variety, without adding too many extra mechanics to confuse the issue. (I'm already adopting the focus token using my X-Wing focus tokens just because focus makes tests more passable).

I don't think new players will be overwhlemed by additional assets in the reserves or encounter cards for London. The focus toekn is an excellent additional for when you've got to Svalbard, messed up the research encounter and are going to be camping there for next turn.

In the interim here's a couple of other fan-made expanions you may want to consider:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/100957/king-yellow-ancient-one-mini-expansion

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1422888/blasphemous-cults

There's also an Alice in Wonderland and a Mi-go expansion which are currently being developed. They're still in playtest mode, but they're worth having a shufty at anyway.

For the record Forsaken Lore is easily attainable (in the United States) through Amazon... 

This is how I got my copy it cost me about £25 in total to be sent to France, I can't remember who I bought it off though, be sure to check all the shipping rates as there are some big variations.

For the record Forsaken Lore is easily attainable (in the United States) through Amazon... 

I bought it last month and had it shipped to South Africa from Amazon.com. I really don't think it's hard to get hold of unless you are trying to buy it directly from FFG webstore. If we can get it down here at the bottom tip of Africa, I can't think that it would be difficult to get in most other places in the world.

Hi all,

I've finally acquired my own copy of EH after gaming with a friend for a long while and I'm introducing it to another group. Everyone is enjoying it but we find we are chewing through the encounter cards too quickly in the base game due to the relative low number of continent specific cards available.

Therefore I'm looking at acquiring an expansion or two to bulk out these decks as well as adding some new ancient ones and items etc. Now my question is as follows: does it matter what expansion I go for first? Forsaken Lore is almost impossible to get at the moment as its awaiting reprint, otherwise I'd have gone for it first. Are there any mechanics in Strange Remnants that are introduced and explained properly in MoM?

I'm familiar ish with all of the content but have almost no idea of what comes with what. Any advice?

Just like everyone else, I'd highly recommend Forsaken Lore before anything else, even if it's hard to find. Which country do you live in?