Sign in to follow this  
Iskander4000

MC-80 build

My local group has decided to allow 400 point builds starting this week, and those who won a Wave 2 prize at Sullust will be allowed to use it. I took home Home One and came up with the following list. I plan on spamming engineering commands, and the Navigation Officer is there in case the AFII needs to break formation and get the hell out of there chase down enemies trying to escape. I'll let you know how it fared after Tuesday's game, and of course I'm open to suggestions:

400 Points

MC80 Command Cruiser

-Admiral Ackbar

-Advanced Projectors

-Leading Shots

-Home One

AFIIB

-Navigation Officer

-Advanced Projectors

-Enhanced Armament

CR90-A

-Slaved Turrets

-Jaina's Light

CR90-B

-SW-7

Tycho, plus 3 more A wings

Edited by Iskander4000

I ran something similar over the weekend, and the amount of red dice you get to use is a real joy!

What are you thinking for objectives there?

With an MC80 I really like Advanced Gunnery. Also found that Dangerous Territory is helpful for dealing with all the overlaps your big base puts you in danger of. I finished mine off with Fire Lanes but with the slow speed of the MC80 Contested Outpost might be better.

If you aren't including a seconf AFIIB then do you only have one?

I would recommend a second one if possible to run a "screen" for Home One (not blocking the way of shots or movements but closer just to draw the fire.)

How I run my MC80:

MC80 Assualt Cruiser  (114)

-Raymus Antilles          (7)

-Home One                  (7)

-Projection Experts      (6)

-Advanced Projectors  (6)

-Admiral Akbar           (38)

Total:                            (178)

I know giant target but 6 Engineering Points a turn and 15 shields to eat through before you get to hull makes it tough and if you don't take damage on it give 2 shields to a AFII that took some damage for free pretty much. You can drop it to a Command Cruiser to save 8 points if you want.

Now if running with CR90s I wouldn't recommend Slaved Turrets. It's more a personnal thing since I like the option to shoot twice and just bank on Akbar giving me 2 free dice and making one of them an ACC. Also you can double arc pretty easy with a CR90 but if you don't have that luck then if it works, it works.

I'd like to hear how well your CR90-B works out. It's an intresting idea I hadn't thought of.

I second the recommendation for a second fish - with Ackbar and Home One, your red dice are *nuts*.  Enhanced Armament is a nice call on the AF, although you may find you get better use out of a Gunnery Team - I found that it's easier to get 2 shots out of the same side against 2 different ships, than 1 shot out of each side.  Or you could dump the Advanced Projectors and get both...

As to your defense objective, I can't recommend Fleet Ambush highly enough.  Putting half their fleet in range of your train right off the bat is huge.  

Edited by qualistarian

Thanks for all of your replies. I ran 2 AFIIs at Sullust with good results; both of them had Enhanced Armament and Gunnery Teams and while they both came in handy, I think overall the Enhanced Arms helped me more. But then again I will have Akbar, so I guess EA isn't quite as necessary.

Realistically I'll probably eventually settle for 2 AFs with the MC80, but I want to see how these Corvettes fare. The slaved turrets are there because they will hopefully combo with Akbar (since I can't double arc with his ability anyways; Akbar and slaved turrets let me add an AF battery to the little Corvette!). I'll also let you know how the blue corvette works out. 

For objectives, definitely Advanced Gunnery, probably Dangerous Territory, and either Fleet Ambush or Fire Lanes.

I won by 23 points against a 400 pt Motti VVG list with 2 of each generic TIE (my opponent wasn't at Sullust and therefore had only Wave 1 stuff). My oppenent had initiative, went first, and chose Fleet Ambush. I won by 23 points--I killed his Glad and his flagship; Home One blew up on turn 4, my red corvette died on turn 5 (after ramming both the Glad and the Vic, which for both enemy ships was for the final damage card!), and all A wings lost. Some thoughts:

-Fleet Ambush was a terrible choice for this list. My opponent put both his Vics and all his TIEs far forward, so by the end of turn 1 Tycho and 1 A wing were dead and half his fighters could go after my ships, and the other two A's died on turn 2. Additionally, I deployed my AF and MC80 the way I did with my dual AF lists against Imp lists, forgetting that the Vics were already forward. Long story short, my AF only fired one salvo the whole game because he overshot my opponent.

-I take back what I said about Gunnery Teams. My opponent placed his ships in such a way that for every turn, they were entirely within the starboard arc of both my AF and 80. If I had this upgrade on both ships, or even just on the 80, I would have killed both his Glad and flagship much sooner. As it was, I had to destroy them piecemeal which resulted in the 80 being destroyed. I guess the best defense really is a good offense.

-Ackbar: pants-down awesome. He took my favorite strategy and made it even better.

-Advanced Projectors: awesome on the AF, even better on an 80

-Leading Shots: never actually needed it. Thinking of swapping it out for the SW-7

-Home One: this SHOULD have been awesome. I say that because the four times I could have used it, I completely forgot I had it. Whoops...that's what happens when I use a new list I guess.

-Navigation Officer: I used him late in the game when I was trying to get my AF back into the fight. Could be good; will have to see.

-Slaved Turrets: so-so on a red corvette. When I was at long range, they combo'd nicely with Ackbar. When it got to close range though, Ackbar was dead and I couldn't take advantage of double-arcing my opponent, so I had a net loss of a blue dice by only being able to fire from one arc. I want to like it, but I'm not sure where to put it (and it can't co-exist with gunnery teams).

-SW-7: I really like this one, especially if the enemy ship was already softened up that turn.

Overall: I had a lot of fun with the new ship and upgrades (even though I forgot to use one of the best ones). Thinking of getting rid of the blue corvette, and putting SW-7 on the 80. This will free up the points needed for Gunnery Team on both the AF and the 80. With 34 points leftover, I can put enhanced arms back on the 80 and AF. Then I just need to decide what to do with those remaining 14 points...and of course no matter what I do things will change once all of Wave 2 goes on sale.

Edited by Iskander4000

Good report.  As I said above, a 2nd fish could have made the difference for you here, even if you had to lose the blue corvette and strip some upgrades to do it.  I ran a similar fleet (Ackbar in an MC80 Command Home One, 2 naked AFII-B, 2 naked Red Corvette, no squads) and I tabled my opponent.  Even without Gunnery Teams or EA, the sheer number of red dice I was throwing from the sides was nuts.

If I were going to run it again, I probably would dump one of the Corvettes for 4x A-wings, just because a larger bomber ball would give me trouble.   

WTB Vassal for Wave 2 so I can game all day errry day :D

Also, I just bought the wood for my custom game table and got some nice acrylic/felt to top it. Should have that done in under a week: be much better than my 30" by 70" table that isn't even the right size for home games :\

OK, went back to the ol' drawing board and decided to make a 2xAF list. Sadly I won't be able to field test it for a few weeks. The upgrades I selected are those that meshed with my play style during Wave 1, combined with the lessons learned from yesterday.

399 points

MC80 (179 points)

-Admiral Ackbar

-Raymus Antilles

-Advanced Projectors

-SW-7 Ion Batteries

-Home One

AFIIB (85 points)

-Gunnery Team

-Advanced Projectors

AFIIB (86 points)

-Gunnery Team

-ECM (since I only have 2 copies of AP)

Tycho

3x A-wings

Edited by Iskander4000

Scary...ish. Masses of red dice in Wave 2 scare the bejeezus outa me and my brawler list. It's also very hard to analyze a list without reference points: so i'll use mine.

(397 of 400 pts)
Flagship: (129 pts)

• Victory I-Class Star Destroyer(73 pts)
  • Admiral Screed (26 pts)
  • Intel Officer (7 pts)
  • Ordnance Experts (4 pts)
  • Heavy Turbolaser Turrets (6 pts)
  • Expanded Launchers (13 pts)

Fleet Ship 1: (86 pts)

• Gladiator I-Class Star Destroyer(56 pts)
  • Demolisher (10 pts)
  • Wulff Yularen (7 pts)
  • Engine Techs (8 pts)
  • Assault Proton Torpedoes (5 pts)

Fleet Ship 2: (49 pts)

• Raider I-Class Corvette(44 pts)
  • Assault Proton Torpedoes (5 pts)

Squadrons (133 of 133 pts):

• 1x Major Rhymer Tie Bomber Squadron (16 pts)
  • 1x Howlrunner Tie Fighter Squadron (16 pts)
  • 1x Tie Bomber Squadron (9 pts)
  • 2x Tie Interceptor Squadron (22 pts)
  • 2x Tie Fighter Squadron (16 pts)
  • 1x Punishing One - Dengar (20 pts)
  • 1x Firespray-31 (18 pts)
  • 1x Aggressor Assault Fighter (16 pts)

Objectives:

• Precision Strike
  • Hyperspace Assault
  • Superior Positions

My list would have initiative: so what objective would you favor?

Hyperspace Assault is probably your least likely pick since it'll allow me to bypass your long range on my slow VSD and potentially pop into close range on turn 2-3.

Superior Positions allows me to settup after your complete deployment and gives me insane amounts of raw points fairly fast with 10 squadron stands and 2 very agile ships.

So most likely you'll ellect to pick my red: Precision Strike (I actually am ultra torn on this objective though)

With this one you'll have to contend with +15 points per GSD/Raider and maybe +30 with a double arc and decent rolls. My VSD, also, has a good chance of forcing through standard criticals with his Heavy Turbolaser Battery. Combined with my, obviously, superior bomber presence and access to intel I can inflict a few more hits that generate raw points with them each turn.

Be fun to play...that's for sure!