Sign in to follow this  
cvtuttle

Adding Expansions

Pardon me if this has been covered somewhere but I am a bit confused.

I have purchased Eldritch Horror as well as all three expansions out so far. I understand that when using any of the expansions it says something to the effect of "When using this expansion include X cards, etc etc.." Usually this contains instructions to leave certain cards OUT when some earlier effect, prelude card or specific old one isn't in play.

My question is - Is there any reason to NOT just mix in the rest of the cards with my basic set? Characters, items, unique artifacts, etc? Is there any problem with using all of those in a game of Eldritch Horror? (I think there is NOT a problem with it - but I just want to confirm.)

Thanks,

Carl

Nope. You can add it all in. Just make sure you understand the mechanics well. Seeing as how you bought it all together, you might not understand some of the nuances yet, and adding in difficult Ancient Ones or some spells and unique allies/tasks etc could be overwhelming if you aren't a very experienced gamer. Glamours are a new type of spell that act a bit differently than the base game spells.

Also, obviously, the clues that spawn in the Antarctica side board can't spawn there if you aren't using that board, but I just set them aside as i come across them instead of trying to pull them out before the game.

Basically the only reason to NOT include it all would just be to help you learn the game in steps instead of all at once. The cards don't really present any dilution problems or anything like that as far as I'm aware of.

Also, if you're new, I suggest you DON'T start with Yig. 

Edited by Soakman

Thank you so much for your incredibly helpful reply! I have played a BUNCH of Arkham Horror over the years but only a couple of games of Eldritch Horror - so I just wanted to make sure I was completely correct in integrating the expansions.

We still haven't won a game yet (of just the base game) but are now playing with the expansions as well. Loving every minute of it!

Thanks again.

I have a separate bag for the cards and tokens that only come up if a certain Prelude or AO is being used. There actually aren't as many as I feared, and the expansions still provide plenty of extra content for games that don't go into their special realms (Antarctica for MoM and the various ancient sites for SR).

On a somewhat related question, has anyone made or purchased a divider that allows everything so far to fit in the main EH box? I got it down to the EH box (boards, instructions, investigators/AOs, tokens) and the MoM box (most card decks), but with a proper separator of some kind it seems it might be possible to get it down to one.

On a somewhat related question, has anyone made or purchased a divider that allows everything so far to fit in the main EH box? I got it down to the EH box (boards, instructions, investigators/AOs, tokens) and the MoM box (most card decks), but with a proper separator of some kind it seems it might be possible to get it down to one.

I'm using a plano box to contain all my tokens and bits - the cards I am currently keeping separate in bags. It all fits in the box, though the lid doesn't close completely. But it makes set up quite a bit faster.

I store mine in the main box + one of the small expansion boxes.

It can all fit into the one box but I keep my monsters and clues in the small box and use it as a monster cup.

This is actually a really great idea for the smaller boxes!

I mix all the cards together but we do not use the antarctica board unless playing with that old one. There is a card that opens all gates at once and if you have the other board you will be toast unless you have enough players covering the world. Just an example of how using everything all the time can hurt you.