Sign in to follow this  
Meadbeard

Idea Farm

I wanted there to be a thread for people to share their ideas for FFG with FFG. I hope that this can serve that function.  *If there is already a similar thread in existence, I have not seen it.  If so, please inform me.  I am fairly new to the forums. 

Let me begin:

1. Paper Only Expansions.  These small packs would consist of pilot cards, upgrade cards, ship base cardboards, and maybe dials.  No ships, pegs, or bases.  These packs could serve many functions advantageous for FFG and players alike.   

What I would love to see come out of this:

• New pilots for pre-existing ships.  Some ships like the Z-95 and TIE Defender just don't have many good pilots.  This idea could provide a good way to facilitate adding more pilots.  
  • More cross-factional ships.  I so want there to be a rebel version of the Lambda shuttle.  
  • More cross-factional pilots.  Rebel Soontir Fel?  Scum Han Solo?  Yes please!

Why this makes sense for FFG:

• Cheap to manufacture and ship, but can still be sold at a healthy premium while still being viewed as more affordable by players. 
  • Can help provide extended revenue from the ships already purchased by consumers.
  • For ships not targeted for inclusion in an "Aces" expansion, this could be a great alternative.   
  • Potential shorter/easier project timelines.

Why this makes sense for FLGS:

• Lower price point=easier sale
  • Smaller packaging requires less shelf space and storage room
  • Creates an easy up-sale opportunity.  

Why this makes sense for PLAYERS:

• We've already bought piles of ships from the first waves.  We don't need the ships, just the cards to accompany them.   
  • Breath new life into old ships and lists.
  • Cheaper than an "Aces" expansion
  • MOAR options!

2.  Captured Ship.  As I mentioned above, I would like to see more cross-factional ships.  This could be partially facilitated through a new Captured Ship rule.  A ship with the Captured Ship header would gain certain benefits before and during the initial engagement, but not afterwards.  So, for example, the rebels have captured a Lambda Shuttle and are using it to infiltrate an Imperial base.  While at range 2+ and before the shuttle has shot, enemies would not be able to target it.  Any enemy that the shuttle shoots at during its initial engagement is -1 agility and cannot use evade tokens.    Once the shuttle targets an enemy, it is identified and can now be targeted itself.  If the shuttle comes within range 1 of an enemy, it is identified and can be targeted by the enemy.  All combat involving the captured ship after its initial engagement is normal as it has been identified by the enemy.  

Anyways, there are two ideas to start the discussion.  What do you think?

Card-only has already been ruled out by FFG. It's come up on the forums a lot.

While they didn't give reasons, the main one I see is perceived value. Take an Ace Pack. People by and large aren't going to spend £20 on four pilot cards and a few upgrade cards. The pair of plastic ships allow them to sell for the prices they do.

An Ace Pack comes with four throughly tested pilots and a set of upgrades and retails for about £20. A Netrunner expansion is about £10 and comes with sixty cards, three copies of twenty different cards. To make the same amount as you would from an Acepack, you'd need to design and test ten times as many pilots in the same period of time. That'd by the literal definition decimate the time spent on each pilot.

Thanks to economies of scale manufacturing the plastic ships themselves isn't the bulk of the cost. It's the design work.

Edited by Blue Five

I wanted there to be a thread for people to share their ideas for FFG with FFG. I hope that this can serve that function.  *If there is already a similar thread in existence, I have not seen it.  If so, please inform me.  I am fairly new to the forums. 

I'd guess a double-digit percentage of all posts on this forum are started by people brainstorming about aomething they'd like to see. So you didn't miss a similar thread...

Anyways, there are two ideas to start the discussion.  What do you think?

Blue Five already explained one set of reasons paper-only expansions might not work for FFG. They've said repeatedly they're unlikely to do them.

As for captured ships, there's nothing stopping you from implementing a rule like this in your home games, as part of a custom scenario. In fact I'd encourage you to try it and come back with a set of thoroughly playtested rules other people can borrow and enjoy.

I wouldn't mind seeing some kind of upgrade that allowed Rebel and Imperial pilots to use illicit upgrades.  Call it Bounty or Price on Their Head or Shady Contacts or something.  Only drawback I can see is opening up some scary small ships to using Cloaking Device.

I like the idea around idea 2. But as mentioned above it would be more of a mission idea. If I had a regular game going I would run story missions like the ones that came with the Tantive.

(...)

2.  Captured Ship.  As I mentioned above, I would like to see more cross-factional ships.  This could be partially facilitated through a new Captured Ship rule.  A ship with the Captured Ship header would gain certain benefits before and during the initial engagement, but not afterwards.  So, for example, the rebels have captured a Lambda Shuttle and are using it to infiltrate an Imperial base.  While at range 2+ and before the shuttle has shot, enemies would not be able to target it.  Any enemy that the shuttle shoots at during its initial engagement is -1 agility and cannot use evade tokens.    Once the shuttle targets an enemy, it is identified and can now be targeted itself.  If the shuttle comes within range 1 of an enemy, it is identified and can be targeted by the enemy.  All combat involving the captured ship after its initial engagement is normal as it has been identified by the enemy.  

The captured ship should have a negative modifier while fighting. The prize crew will be unfamiliar with the controls, at least all the finer details. They cannot be as good as people trained for years on a particular craft.

I absolutely hate the idea of Rebels flying TIEs and Imperials flying X-wings etc.

Agreed. The only way I like the idea of cross factionalising ships is if there's a prominent example in the lore. Han Solo/Lando/Chewie/Dash Rendar etc. etc as scum, or Ace Azameen as rebels... maybe. A triple faction Mara Jade would definitely work. As for the Lambda, a Shuttle Tyderium zero point title that lets rebels take generic shuttles I could get behind.

But it should be tightly restricted, IMO.

I mean, I have a bunch of card ideas I've already made other threads for.

One where I did a whole series of Cards inspired by the old X-Wing/TIE Fighter PC games.

A series of Title Cards for the TIE Experimentals from X-Wing Alliance.

My idea for an upgrade that lets you equip a beam weapon in a System slot.

Then of course there's my TIE Defender title card, meant to be combined with this and this to finally make the Defender what the lore says it should be.

Edited by DarthEnderX

I absolutely hate the idea of Rebels flying TIEs and Imperials flying X-wings etc.

Partially agree, but some characters have complicated pasts.  Take Soontir Fel, he fought on both sides.

Edited by Meadbeard

To make the same amount as you would from an Acepack, you'd need to design and test ten times as many pilots in the same period of time. That'd by the literal definition decimate the time spent on each pilot.

Thanks to economies of scale manufacturing the plastic ships themselves isn't the bulk of the cost. It's the design work.

Then I offer my services as a playtester.  :)

I would like to several things:

More sets like Most Wanted, this si closest to Card only expansion we ever had.

I would like to see one such pack for rebels and possibly even the imperials.

I would like to see dual faction ships, designed that from the start. 

We could get YT-2000, T-Wing, R-41, and possibly more.

I would like to see new cinematic themed mechanics, like ship capture, probably not a tournament mechanics, but anyone who played the any X-Wing or TIE Fighter game would know and love them. Why not to Capture the Tantive IV in a mission. Or free the prisoners from Gozanti transport. And there is a lot of ships dedicated to the role that can be added.

And i would like to see some more options to spice the battlefield. Why not introduce minefields. Or i would like to see defense satelites, and even installations.

And finally i would like to see active ordnance. Something like dropped sentry turrets (mines that shoot, and have to be shoot back}. 

As noted, we're unlikely to ever see a 'card pack' due to cost issues, and - to date - FFG has never done event-only prize support (a card not available for sale). I hope they don't, because I know a lot of people lost interest in Attack Wing as a result of that (the ships were in many cases noticably better and could only be acquired by winning events).

That said, I'd be quite interested in a 'half-sized' aces box; arguably one repaint starfighter with one named pilot (and the generics), potentially without new upgrades (or minimal ones) does meaningfully reduce the design/playtest effort required.

There will always be new fighters to explore - and even then, there's pilots in other fighters to consider; Vader and Stele in TIE Defenders, Corran Horn in an X-wing, or cross-faction stuff (like the Tyderium title and Han Solo in a Lambda), or even Tag & Bink in TIE fighters.

Whilst I would be open to having a mission where the shuttle followed such rules, having cross faction pliots/ships puts you into the realm of Star Trek Attack Wing and it doesn't exactly work there.

I mean, Picard (Darth Vader PS and ability) on a BORG Sphere (6/0/10/10 pwt) with Klingon Torps, tractor beam and Kirks Cheat Death EPT? Yeah . . . doesn't that sound fun . . or!

Dark Curse in a TIE Interceptor with Royal Guard title, Stealth Device and Autothrusters. Or maybe even Mauler in a Phantom? six dice at range 1?

The game is very balanced the way it is and cross faction seriously does, not, work.

Id like to see something like pokeman does where they put out the world championship top 4 deck list. Lets say a large box set. Each box contains one complete list the ships and upgrades that are used in worlds t4

That's a pretty cool idea.

Maybe throw in a copy of that season's promotional card with it too.

Edited by DarthEnderX

I heard somewhere mentioned that ffg license for x wing is as a miniatures game and their license does not allow them to sell cards on their own since that would entail a card game and license does not cover that.

If it's true it kinda makes sense, and in that case we'd never get card only packs. 

Id like to see something like pokeman does where they put out the world championship top 4 deck list. Lets say a large box set. Each box contains one complete list the ships and upgrades that are used in worlds t4

I also feel this would make the game more accessible to new players looming for upgrades.