Sign in to follow this  
Wes Janson

"...but the empire is far from defeated."

Just thought I would show off my Assault Frigate MkI. I decided to do a little sequence with the shots in this one using the Aftermath story arc. (link to custom cards/base template)

The Emperor is dead, Vader with him, and the Death Star is destroyed. The New Republic has dealt a grave blow to the Galactic Empire but, the enemy has not been defeated. Remaining vigilant, New Republic forces continue to press into Imperial space.

SB1A_zpssdgnz1dp.jpg

On patrol near Imperial space in the Vega Tul sector, the Verdant Sun stumbles on an Imperial recon patrol emerging from a near by asteroid cluster. Dispatching its Y-wing CAP to persue, the enemy forces look to be in retreat.

SB1B_zpsgyscystz.jpg

The Verdant Sun finds itself quickly on the recieving end of the retreat with the arrival of the ISD Resolution.

SB1C_zpssul81v5j.jpg

Edited by Wes Janson

I actually find that ugly. . . It looks like an oversized Nebulon that will break under pressure. . . 

Great painting but I dont like the look of the ship. . . 

Edited by Lyraeus

Maturin, its a Utar resin Assault Frigate MkI V.

Thanks guys. I don't think it is a pretty ship by any stretch of the means Lyraeus, but I grew up with this being the Assault Frigate. That space whale MkII was not even a thought. However I do agree with its Nebulon-B comparison, but I get the impression they were at the time trying to blend it into that ilk.

Because I have a soft spot for Y-wings. Spent many night playing X-wing (PC game) dogfighting with the best of em, even if it was a bus.

I used to like them because in X-wing vs TIE fighter, if you pressed the 'switch weapon' key really fast, you could increase your rate of fire of both ion cannons and lasers by about 1,000%

Back on topic, I like the Assault Frigate.  My Star Wars knowledge of EU ships come from the X-wing series rather than the comics, so I would have preferred a Mon Calamari light cruiser.  Judging by the tendency of FFG to favour potato shaped ships for the rebels already, the future looks bright for that one.

Edited by D503

Love this compared to the pure uglyness that is the AFM2. A proper assault frigate. Gotta love modified Dreadnoughts.

(Which is not to say that it's pretty!)

Agreed!

This is what a Rebel assault frigate is supposed to look like!

(Before it's destroyed by green turbolaser fire, that is.)

Because I have a soft spot for Y-wings. Spent many night playing X-wing (PC game) dogfighting with the best of em, even if it was a bus.

I used to like them because in X-wing vs TIE fighter, if you pressed the 'switch weapon' key really fast, you could increase your rate of fire of both ion cannons and lasers by about 1,000%

Back on topic, I like the Assault Frigate.  My Star Wars knowledge of EU ships come from the X-wing series rather than the comics, so I would have preferred a Mon Calamari light cruiser.  Judging by the tendency of FFG to favour potato shaped ships for the rebels already, the future looks bright for that one.

I would love to see Mon-Mothma's Light Moncal Cruiser in future expansions.

I actually find that ugly. . . It looks like an oversized Nebulon that will break under pressure. . . 

Great painting but I dont like the look of the ship. . . 

To each his own, I think the Assault Frigate Mk-I is the best looking rebel ship of them all. Love the exposed superstructure and how its visibly a modified Dreadnought.

I'm actually a fan of the look of the AF. Model looks great could you post a link on where to find them per chance?

You can get it from Utar Ships. Mel Miniatures does the two-pronged Type VI variant. And if you want specific cards for them (rather than using it as a replacement for the Mk.2) you can find them in Armada Shipyards.

Nah I have Mel's dreads and Utar's Assault frigate. I have other guys with Utar Dreadnaughts in my group but they just got them so they have not had a chance to paint them. I suppose the biggest thing I could compare is that Utar's Dreadnaught is a little closer to the size it should be for the sliding scale. Mel's is oversized but nicer detailed.

I have ordered both types of Assault Frigate Mk1 from Shapeways  :D

Can't wait to do a paint job, just as good as Wes ;)

http://www.shapeways.com/product/VX3TUE5JD/armada-assault-frigate-mk-i?li=shop-results&optionId=57225647

http://www.shapeways.com/product/UDEE3Z42V/arm-aslt-frig-mk-i-type-v?li=search-results-1&optionId=56743186&rc=SearchResults

PS: Wes I like the way you painted the Y-wings, even though they are seen from a distance, they look good to.

Kiwi rat, you can always get the Utar Assault Frigate MkI in resin direct from him. The one pictured here is a resin copy of the 3D print version so the quality is excellent.

Thanks for the compliments. I want to do some highlights on the hull I think, but I may just leave it at this point.

Kiwi rat, you can always get the Utar Assault Frigate MkI in resin direct from him. The one pictured here is a resin copy of the 3D print version so the quality is excellent.

Thanks for the compliments. I want to do some highlights on the hull I think, but I may just leave it at this point.

It was more convenient for me to order via Shapeways.

I did contact Utar via E-mail, and he said he was going to close down shop next month for a year, so to spare him to hazzle of making a hasty last minute job, I decided to order the Shapeway version.  ^_^