Sign in to follow this  
Wes Janson

First game with an ISD

I decided on using an ISD in my game tomorrow since I got one at a Sullust event. My aim was to use several of the new upgrades included in the ISD expansion as well as the ship itself.

ISD-II, Intel Officer, Electronic Countermeasures, Heavy Turbolaser Turrets (140 pts)

VSD-I, Darth Vader, Slaved Turrets, Dominator

VSD-I, Captain Needa, Flight Controllers, Boosted Comms

6x Tie Fighter Squadrons

I have been a bit overwhelmed with the new options so here goes.

Any update on how this went? Not had any builds for ISD quite click with me yet so I'm now considering a "budget" build like this rather than the countless upgrades that'll never get used that I normally fall into the trap of.

It worked ok, but I found I didn't need the Intel Officer as much as I wanted a Gunnery Team. I managed to do quite a bit without it, but my second game saw the Gunnary Team combined with the ISD's speed allow me to put 2 smaller ships down in a single turn of fire. Put my opponent in a tough spot for activation order.

The Slaved Turreted Vic II with Vader swaped Dominator to be standard Vic-II. Slaved turrets worked well on this vessel seeing as I was only in range of one enemy ship most of the game..

Edited by Wes Janson

My Vic-I was never in short range the whole game. Nor would it have been. I have trouble justifying the cost of expanded launchers on a ship that may never use it.

Did the heavy turbo lasers help at all? I keep thinking i wont need them due to the amount of blue dice the ISD II has.

The Heavy turbolasers were a great deterent to my opponent since his strategy was reliant on soaking damage with his shields. If I did not get enough accuracies to stop all of his defense tokens I would simply use vader to roll for additional damage. This left him with the choice of use his brace only and take the damage where I want, or brace for a single damage and redirect the rest. Either way it is not an ideal situation for him to be in. So yes, they helped.

With 2 VSDs and an ISD I fail to see how you can't get the Vs in close range. You should be able to box him in and get close. You also tout Heavy Turobs as a deterent when EA can do the same and it's going to be nearly impossible for them to evade that ship if it guns in at speed 2 with 2 big ships to help flank.

I like the idea of an IVV list, but I really like my Demolisher and Raider (on paper) for fancy moving :)

With 2 VSDs and an ISD I fail to see how you can't get the Vs in close range. You should be able to box him in and get close. You also tout Heavy Turobs as a deterent when EA can do the same and it's going to be nearly impossible for them to evade that ship if it guns in at speed 2 with 2 big ships to help flank.

I like the idea of an IVV list, but I really like my Demolisher and Raider (on paper) for fancy moving :)

I think the Demolisher will have a roll in Imperial fleets forever with the move and shoot ability. Currently theorizing a ISD2,ISD1,Demo /w projection experts staring Vader to minimize the need for re-roll upgrades.

The amount of Rebel red dice, and the VSD's speed has really got me thinking about the need to close the Gap with the enemy ASAP. VSD for me will likely turn into a carrier for now.

Edited by Virtigo

I, too, am concerned for my VSD1 in the Ackbar-Age. Not sure if charging full-tilt and trying to delete ships with black dice or sitting bakc is best. Though my options are: Charge in with 2 shots at same target, hopefully getting to short range before I blow up and delete the ship or two. Hide in reserves till I get a good/safe spot to jump my VSD onto the board. Or perhaps just slow-play with Sup Pos and use my faster ships and fighters to shred them and wrack up massive points via rear (worst spot on them) arc shots.

The last thing that I want to do is hang back and try to out (Red dice) a rebel opponent. It also doesn't sound very empire to me "Asteroids do not concern me admiral!"

True. Though more like: make them get closer with a tighter angle to shoot at my VSD while my other ships pounce and then my VSD jumps ahead full-steam to unload :D

I think the Demolisher will have a roll in Imperial fleets forever with the move and shoot ability. Currently theorizing a ISD2,ISD1,Demo /w projection experts staring Vader to minimize the need for re-roll upgrades.

I cannot envisage a time when I would not take Demolisher in an Imperial list.  It is just so good, you can't leave it at home.