Sign in to follow this  
Wes Janson

Imperial Star Destroyer weathering.

Veeery very nice Wes. Lovin' the contrast on it and the really good surface staining. It looks awful natural and used. I've been waffling over what type of weathering I want to do on at least one of my ISD's, so I might very well have to go the same route. Mind if I ask a few questions? I really rather do fancy it.

Is the speckling from foam tear, stippling, or brush spray? It makes the pitting look very natural. Base grey, is that a cold grey? It didn't turn out well, it turned out fantastic! Oh, and congrats on the win for an ISD :)

I lucked out on the win, I was the organiser and nobody picked it?!

No base colour, straight over the Fantasy Flight paintjob. I figure why base when it is already done. I just drybrushed the darker panels with administratun grey to help reduce contrast, then I drybrushed the entire ship with a light go of white to blend it together and pick out details. The black/brown chips where just done with a piece of foam glued to the end of an old brush. I debated the look but in the end I figure war is dirty.

... -blinks, slowly opening and closing mouth- No one picked it... I'll need to let my brain reboot from that one.

FFG's stock painjob on the ISD is that clean and consistent? On the VSD's I've got, and every other I've seen, their wash pools and muddies it. I'm impressed. Then again, I picked up a Raider for placing and its factory paint was immaculate too. I guess they upped their game, or at least their quality control.

It looks terrific, and the foam really does help add that war-pitting. You did a great job on it, mate. N ot that I had any doubt, I've seen what you can do :)

Yep, I jut mean FFG's factory black wash they put on their models. The ones I have tend to look grainy where it's evaporated at the edges and doesn't look as clean as the one you have. Don't get me wrong, FFG's prepaints are still the best I've seen, but some of them (the core set Nebulon being most notable) was really harsh on that muddy wash. This, by all standards, is super clean on the plates (for a base, naturally.  You mad eit look exceptional with the pitting and drybrush).

I debated doing lighting with some yellow, but I don't know if I really want to lol. The lighting you do on your ships I really like. I also find I prefer the blue/white light, but you lose it in the Imperial grey. Yellow makes a nicer contrast.

Thanks mate. Aye, that's a tough one. I use red as the 'outer layer' of yellow specifically because it gets totally lost any other way. I'm.... not sure. Personally, blue is always my favourite, but because the engines are so prominent, I rarely feel comfortable using it for windows (feels like a meltdown going on inside :P ) And I wonder if it would be lost on that grey as well.

As for the brown staining. I figure everything from oxidation from oxygen leaks and condensation, fires and laser scorches, water in space (it's a thing apparently), or the material just changing on its own as well from temperature variation and radiation. Oh, and 37,000 crew and a near miss from another star destroyer :P

You can try a white fade to blue. I think limiting the use of it to the darker areas of the model will help, but once again I don't always see it as even required really. I find it works better on the rebel ships because the cool blue/white light stands out against the earth/warm tone of their ships.

I suppose we could go against the norm and do green lighting, at least on the bridge.