Sign in to follow this  
icestormganon

New Canon. Ships, Pilots, Officers. *Spoilers*

ANYWAY, to turn this thread back to the original, did anyone else notice the big change in how hyperspace works?  Gravity wells now only prevent entering hyperspace, you can exit close to a gravity well if you want, so Interdictors are less useful.

ANYWAY, to turn this thread back to the original, did anyone else notice the big change in how hyperspace works?  Gravity wells now only prevent entering hyperspace, you can exit close to a gravity well if you want, so Interdictors are less useful.

Yeah that made my eye twitch slightly. Made for a good action sequence, at least.

We can assume that whatever technology powers the Interdictor still works as described though. Maybe it uses particles of unobtainium to create a super dense mass field, who knows?

Yeah that made my eye twitch slightly. Made for a good action sequence, at least.

We can assume that whatever technology powers the Interdictor still works as described though. Maybe it uses particles of unobtainium to create a super dense mass field, who knows?

That's how they worked in Legends - they'd create the mass shadow of a planet so hyperspace motors would fail (thus dragging the ships out of hyperspace).  This also means Thrawn's favorite tactic won't work.

That's how they worked in Legends - they'd create the mass shadow of a planet so hyperspace motors would fail (thus dragging the ships out of hyperspace).  This also means Thrawn's favorite tactic won't work.

I mean, they can fix it with a wave of the hand.

"Oh Starkiller had a reverse mass shadow generator so we could fly it around super fast" or whatever.

"Oh Starkiller had a reverse mass shadow generator so we could fly it around super fast" or whatever.

Changing how things work with an offhanded comment?  The fans will never accept that!

Changing how things work with an offhanded comment?  The fans will never accept that!

I don't know, the casual dialog and action/adventure feel of the new movie is fairly disarming.

That's also how they worked in Rebels a few weeks ago.

Damnit, people. Keep it together.

I assume han turn off and overrode the safety switch that causes the ship to drop out so he could due his stunt. Most folks wouldnt turn off the safety switch.

The big think i noticed is JJ made hyperspace jump take place over mear seconds and not the hours/days/weeks they took in the EU

In TCW, it's possible (though dangerous) to enter hyperspace from so close to a planet that you're actually in its upper atmosphere (Jedi Crash, in Season 1).

So, there's a certain amount of flexibility in "how far from a planet you need to be to make the jump". And in the same way, when exiting, it's very close to the star.

I think what makes the Interdictor special is that it forces a ship to exit, and prevents it from entering, hyperspace - it's even more effective than a nearby planet would be.

I assume han turn off and overrode the safety switch that causes the ship to drop out so he could due his stunt. Most folks wouldnt turn off the safety switch.

The big think i noticed is JJ made hyperspace jump take place over mear seconds and not the hours/days/weeks they took in the EU

There's a new map. Many major new systems are very close together, maybe a few dozen light years at most.

I think we need to accept that particularly in movies and TV shows, which the setting is rapidly moving to with full speed, thew is a distinct need for these things to be "at the speed of plot."

I am disappointed that we don't seem to have much in the way of new material. Hopefully Rebels, the comics, and the new novels give us some exciting new dog to see.

Loved the movie. Already planning to see it again soon.

and Chuck Wendig (Aftermath) is writing Aftermath Life Debt.  Wouldn't count these new characters out yet.

I can still barely comprehend the fact that this hack got paid real people money for the tripe he put out, and they're going to have him slam his forehead against a keyboard until he reaches the right word count AGAIN?!

I felt like I was reading a rough draft.  Aftermath felt like a good book someone had accidentally sent the manuscript to the printer instead of the editor.  Unfortunately it sounds like they're rushing again so I don't have high hopes for the next one.  Lost Stars was the better of the two but a tad formulaic.  I did like how it covered the human impact of the war.

I had the sane feeling for the novel and for the new movie

I'm sorry to spoil the basking in the new canon, but what do these hotshots mean for some of the old, well-loved standbys from the EU? How does Gradd compare to Soontir Fel for instance?

If you read Blade squadron parts 1 and 2 (should take you about 20 minutes?) you can answer the question for Gradd at least...

The answer is exactly what I wanted it to be.

I fully expect wave 3 to be Force Awakens stuff, possibly not even teased until around the release of the movie.

I expected that also but now... I´ll just say dont expect it... IMO

Having now seen the movie, I'm now with you. The books are giving us some nice new canon to work with, but the movie doesn't have enough. Edited by Truthiness

Pretty sure the Interdictor works to force ships out of hyperspace by triggering the safety mechanism. As in, mandatory built in safety device to prevent catastrophic damage to the gravity well object.

But the Falcon is so modded, it was probably overridden. How else could he make the Kessel run in 12 parsecs!

Pretty sure the Interdictor works to force ships out of hyperspace by triggering the safety mechanism. As in, mandatory built in safety device to prevent catastrophic damage to the gravity well object.

But the Falcon is so modded, it was probably overridden. How else could he make the Kessel run in 12 parsecs!

I heard 14.