Sign in to follow this  
icestormganon

New Canon. Ships, Pilots, Officers. *Spoilers*

With that other topic about the interdictor in Rebels, I thought now would be a good time to talk about other things new (And some old stuff) with the new canon.  So... I thought I would share a few characters I would like to see in the game.  Spoilers ahead from the new comics, books, what have you.  Continue at your own risk.

I haven't read all the new works myself.  Some of the ones I have are kinda bad. I don't know about abilities... I'll leave that to those wiser in the game.  I'm hoping down the line they release new pilots and such for the current fighters.

Shattered Empire:

Shara Bey:  Awesome A-Wing pilot.  Took part in  the Battle of Endor and battles after.  Married to a spec forces solider named Kes Dameron (Possible ship officer?).  Mother of Poe Dameron in episode 7.

Lost Stars:

This has honestly been the best book out of the new canon so far, and it really surprised me.  

Thane Kyrell: Trained as an Imperial officer, defects to the rebellion as an X-Wing pilot.  Took part in the Battles of Hoth, Endor, and Jakku.

Ciena Ree: Extremely loyal Imperial Officer.  Can fly Tie/Lo and Tie/In, but is mostly a command officer.  Was in the Battles of Hoth, Endor, and Jakku.  At 25, she becomes one of the youngest Star Destroyer captains and takes over the Inflictor that goes down in the Battle of Jakku (The one we see the remains of in the trailer).  She tried to go down with the ship but Thane intervened.

There's a ton of other characters who could make for decent officers.  I don't have my book on me at the moment, but there was an Imperial Officer with the last name something like Windrunner.  He was the flight commander of the Inflictor, and he was sort of fanactically crazy loyal to the Empire after they blew his planet up.  Really stood out to me.

There's a ton more out there already.  Anything from the new stuff that you would all like to see?

Commander Gradd was a TIE Interceptor pilot during the Battle of Endor who appeared in the Blade Squadron short stories. He was the commander of all TIE fighters on board the Devastator, which was once Vader's own personal flagship. Gradd was practically Vader's equal when it came to piloting. This statement comes from another character who personally hates Gradd, yet he still compares Gradd's skills to Vader's own. 

Admiral Montferrat could not believe the audacity of these rebel scum. Didn’t they realize they were facing the Devastator? Vader’s onetime flagship, the pride of Death Squadron… Montferrat prided himself on having the best trained crew in the entire Imperial Navy. Ever since he had taken command of her at the battle of Hoth, Montferrat had personally and ruthlessly combed the ranks, recruiting and promoting only those officers and ratings who had met his meticulous and exacting standards. And even though he found his TIE fighter commander Gradd personally distasteful, there was no doubt that his skills as a fighter ace were almost on a par with Darth Vader himself.

If you guys haven't read Blade Squadron parts One and Two, you can find them on starwars.com. They're pretty entertaining.

Just read "Lost Stars" after reading this post the other day. Really enjoyed it. Doesn't go into the hardcore combat that all the events covered may have, but the characters and their perspectives were really good. It also does a great job demonstrating the true nature of the empire - its corruption and brutality.

Remaining on-topic but inverting perspective, are we to assume that all ships, vehicles, and characters released by FFG (for either Armada, Star Wars LCG, or Imperial Assault) is in fact part of the new canon?

Remaining on-topic but inverting perspective, are we to assume that all ships, vehicles, and characters released by FFG (for either Armada, Star Wars LCG, or Imperial Assault) is in fact part of the new canon?

no.

edit: bah, hadn't refreshed the page after dinner.

Edited by akenatum

It really hasn't gotten that deep yet. Very few of the original trilogy have even made it into the new fiction. Even then, it's limited screen time and it's characters like Rieekan, Mon Mothma, Akbar, Vader, and Wedge. I think these books are, for now, singularly focused on providing new perspectives and building to the movie. They have to provide the bare bones background before the movie, after all. However, I think in time some of the authors will be able to insert old favorites into the new cannon. James Luceno, for example, did the first official book and he canonized a large number of ships.

It's been announced that Claudia Grey (Lost Stars) is writing a new book called Bloodlines and Chuck Wendig (Aftermath) is writing Aftermath Life Debt.  Wouldn't count these new characters out yet.

Edited by icestormganon

It's been announced that Claudia Grey (Lost Stars) is writing a new book called Bloodlines and Chuck Wendig (Aftermath) is writing Aftermath Life Dept.  Wouldn't count these new characters out yet.

Not counting them out by any means. I'm just saying that we have a very narrow scope of things right now.

I'm sorry to spoil the basking in the new canon, but what do these hotshots mean for some of the old, well-loved standbys from the EU? How does Gradd compare to Soontir Fel for instance?

If you read Blade squadron parts 1 and 2 (should take you about 20 minutes?) you can answer the question for Gradd at least...

OMG, Admiral Rae Sloane definitely needs to make it into Armada.  She's freaking brilliant and certainly more open minded than most Imperial officers (New Dawn).  She is definitely as cool as (if not cooler) than Daala.  Probably a better leader as well, as she is not prone to (or condoning of) needless violence (she reprimands Stormtroopers for firing at a crowd of anti-imperial protesters as such actions only aid the Rebellion's cause) nor does she go off the handle just because she can (such as gassing an entire room of high ranking Imperial officers to take control of the fleet).  She's loyal, but not so loyal that she falls into the realm of blind stupidity.

Here's my want list as far as officers go:

1. Rae Sloane

2. Jylia Shale

3. Admiral Daala

4. Denetrius Vidian

and Chuck Wendig (Aftermath) is writing Aftermath Life Debt.  Wouldn't count these new characters out yet.

I can still barely comprehend the fact that this hack got paid real people money for the tripe he put out, and they're going to have him slam his forehead against a keyboard until he reaches the right word count AGAIN?!

and Chuck Wendig (Aftermath) is writing Aftermath Life Debt.  Wouldn't count these new characters out yet.

I can still barely comprehend the fact that this hack got paid real people money for the tripe he put out, and they're going to have him slam his forehead against a keyboard until he reaches the right word count AGAIN?!

This post seems like nerd rage but is actually quite appropriate.

That book was ****.

Lost Stars, despite being billed as the "young adult" novel, was far and away superior. I could barely get through Aftermath. It actually got me thinking I could write something better.

I fully expect wave 3 to be Force Awakens stuff, possibly not even teased until around the release of the movie.

I expected that also but now... I´ll just say dont expect it... IMO

Edited by Kentares

Lost Stars, despite being billed as the "young adult" novel, was far and away superior. I could barely get through Aftermath. It actually got me thinking I could write something better.

You can.

Source: you just typed three full coherent sentences in a row.

I felt like I was reading a rough draft.  Aftermath felt like a good book someone had accidentally sent the manuscript to the printer instead of the editor.  Unfortunately it sounds like they're rushing again so I don't have high hopes for the next one.  Lost Stars was the better of the two but a tad formulaic.  I did like how it covered the human impact of the war.

I felt like I was reading a rough draft.  Aftermath felt like a good book someone had accidentally sent the manuscript to the printer instead of the editor.  Unfortunately it sounds like they're rushing again so I don't have high hopes for the next one.  Lost Stars was the better of the two but a tad formulaic.  I did like how it covered the human impact of the war.

On top of that, the author threw a bizarre infantile hissy fit on twitter, insulting the people who didn't like his book and trying to claim some kind of homosexual persecution for his characters, when the only thing people criticized him for was his asinine, awkward prose.

Edited by Tvayumat