Sign in to follow this  
gamblertuba

Wave 8 Release Date and Kalamazoo, MI

Personal note first:  Potentially moving to Kalamazoo in the near future and wondering what the X-wing scene is in the area.  Quick bit of googling showed a couple stores with X-wing on the calendar.   Anyone from the area active on the boards here?  What's the participation like?

More importantly to the rest of y'all.  Odyssey games in Kalamazoo has a Wave 8 Release Tournament scheduled for November 14?!?  Wishful thinking?  Sheer madness?  Do they know something we don't?

Wishful thinking?  Sheer madness?

These 2. There is no way possible that Wave 8 will be here that soon. Unless it's been at the printers for the last 2-3 months and is on the boat now.

It takes a minimum of 6-8 weeks to get from China to stores and that. If it went on the boat tomorrow, the soonest it would be in stores is Nov 20th.

gamblertuna PM me and I'll invite you to the Facebook group for Kalamazoo xwing.

It's a very healthy xwing scene and growing. The release tournament is hopeful thinking, but the results of which will probably be applicable once the wave arrives. Odyssey is very amenable to their customers.

I assume that all statuses on that page are at least partially incorrect...

IME since wave 2 or so... it's typically 2-4 months at the printer and 6-8 weeks on the boat.

That means the soonest I'd expect to see Wave 8 is Christmas.

Just looked the wiki, on avg it takes 4.7 months from announcement to release. So even with production ramping up I'm still betting Christmas at the soonest.

Edited by VanorDM

More importantly to the rest of y'all.  Odyssey games in Kalamazoo has a Wave 8 Release Tournament scheduled for November 14?!?  Wishful thinking?  Sheer madness?  Do they know something we don't?

Welcome to Michigan.  I haven't spent much time out in Kalamazoo playing X wing, but I know there's an active scene there.  Heck, most of us trolls have an active store somewhere.  As for the specific W8 release event, going by my memory of previous release events they've hosted, if it's not in stock, you'll get credit to pick it up upon arrival.  They most recently did this with the Raider, but it thankfully came into stock 2 days before the event (good timing!).

...Wave 8 Release Tournament scheduled for November 14?!?  Wishful thinking?  Sheer madness?  Do they know something we don't?

I read that as November 2014 and thought, "Hmmm, FFG slippage is getting really bad now" and realised it was November 14th.

That's 37 days from now, which is 4 days less than 41. And 41 is 14 backwards. So in true interwebs conspiracy style, Ancient Aliens.

Cheers

Baaa

Anyone from the area active on the boards here?  What's the participation like?

When I left a little over a year ago, it was (as Red Winter says) healthy and growing.

I preferred to play at Fanfare (the staff there is really great), but Odyssey is nice too and has the advantage of being a literal stone's throw from the WMU campus.

Anyone from the area active on the boards here?  What's the participation like?

When I left a little over a year ago, it was (as Red Winter says) healthy and growing.

I preferred to play at Fanfare (the staff there is really great), but Odyssey is nice too and has the advantage of being a literal stone's throw from the WMU campus.

Now I feel bad for not making it out to Fanfare back then. Though Odyssey is planning on moving to West Main, from what everyone seems to be talking about. 

And X-wing is definitely growing. I saw someone trying to get it going at a store in Richland, also some stuff going on in Battle Creek. 

Edited by Sithborg

FanFare is certainly staffed with nice employees and has an awesome selection of nerdom to choose from.

But I am a fan of Odyssey, purely on their more focused concentration on the gaming/mini-wargaming scene. They initiate tournaments and game nights on their own, not needing the consumer to drive these events. The fact that they are planning a move in the next year is exciting to. It's indicative of their success and will be advantageous for all the wargaming regulars. The meta here is also very vibrant.

Vorpal Sword, sad to hear that you were here but are now away. I would have enjoyed meeting in person.