Sign in to follow this  
Mystic Force

What types of people should I introduce Talisman to?

So I played Talisman 2nd ed with a friend a lot back many years ago. He owned all the expansions and I said to myself one day I will own this game too. Many years passed and then I had money so I thought why not and so I did and then I got some expansions, I first tried to get my wife to play but it wasn't her thing, then I got my step-son and some of his friends, but he eventually moved out and his friends scattered to college etc. So now I am sitting on a nearly complete set trying to figure out which people I could introduce this game to. My oldest son is 10 and doesnt have much attention span, so I am looking for likely adults. I live in a small town of 3500 with a larger city 30 mins away, but those people never travel out here for some reason, and I would cant easily leave here. So which archetypes should I look to?

People who value the social experience more than the outcome of a game.

Also, people who can play for about 4 hours.

More than that, especially with one or more first-time players and using all of the expansions.

I have non-gamer friends, gamer friends (table top, D&D etc) and then have friends who USED to be gamers but due to time, money, family etc., have outgrown them.    I find Talisman appeals to the last category most... it appeals to those who are geeky at heart, but can no longer commit to costs, time and money that comes with most games.

I can only speak from my experience, because we are people in our late 30's and early 40's, but I think it appeals to a bit of a older generation that is seeking out old Talisman nostalgia and the classic feel of a board game.

And I agree with Artaterxes, it definitely also appeals to a social, casual and non-competitive personality.  After all, it is a game of random chance - something that competitive strategy buffs usually do not like very much.

Edited by chemical22

Although I agree with all the above posts greatly I must say this...

...Introduce Talisman to EVERYBODY!!! Your family, friends, your nan, your postman, your co-workers, even your dog groomer!!! :D

What I really mean is that I feel Talisman can appeal to all walks of life. Due to the easy rules, social side of things and random/slight strategy gameplay; just about anyone is a good candidate. I have got a few friends into the game which I was a little suprised at, I guess you never know until you force them to try it! ;)

People with at least one arm.

I think having one arm is a plus, but not a necessity.

However, I kindly would suggest introduce Talisman to calm people ONLY. This, of course, if You value Your own life... ;).

People with at least one arm.

I think having one arm is a plus, but not a necessity.

However, I kindly would suggest introduce Talisman to calm people ONLY. This, of course, if You value Your own life... ;).

Haha, I do value my own life but I think playing Talisman with non-calm people can sometimes be even more amusing than the game itself :D

Horrible black void, Vindication + Misfortune when someone is one step away from Crown of Command, Vengeance Hex.....

Haha, I do value my own life but I think playing Talisman with non-calm people can sometimes be even more amusing than the game itself :D

Calm people?  There are MANY words to describe our group when they get together and calm is not one of them!  The calm ones should be playing chess.  :-)

Not, when they quarrel for 10 minutes who is right, because certain abilities can create some overpowered effects that can change the flow of the game, or a character might lose some of their key cards but they don't want them to lose, and the effect itself isn't pretty clear what actually happens ;). I like such of games, too ;).

It seems that I have been able to get some of the old crew together and added a couple of people who had played it when one of those I had introduced it to, had themselves purchased the game.

Although it would be nice to find some people closer to my own age....