Sign in to follow this  
Astrella

What would you need to start scum?

Hi,

I have a bit of X-wing stuff right now, but I was wondering what would be the minimum / advised ships needed to start playing Scum at 100 points. I imagine Most Wanted would be handy but I don't really know beyond that.

I got in with Most Wanted, 2x IG-2000, 1 StarViper, and 2 M3-A Interceptors. It was too much. I'm only just now getting to use some of those ships.

The simplest list will be 2x IG-2000, but you'd probably want to pick up the StarViper for Autothrusters, too.

If you do get Most Wanted and already have a HWK-290, Firespray-31, and Y-wing, you'll be set for some 100 pt. matches right out of the box -- and that's only $40! Then you could add more stuff later as you see needs arise in your lists.

If you get a Kihraxz and M3-A, I might just get one of each to start with.

Are you asking for specific lists to start with?

It depends on whether you have any y-wings, hwks or z-95s really. If you already have some, the most wanted pack will bump you up in points significantly.

If not, the khiraxz fighters are definitely a step in the right direction

2 aggressors would be a place to start, I'm kinds in the same boat. Been wanting to get into scum but Most Wanted is sold out everywhere in my area and at MM. Right now I have 2 bots, a Starviper, 2 Kirahx and Boba's alt art pilot card from Regionals this year and really have only flown the bots although I plan on trying Boba with the Khirax's when I get a chance.

two Agressors and a Star Viper for a competitive list.

If you already have a collection that includes a Y-wing, HWK-290 and a Slave 1 expansion pack then most wanted is a very affordable way to get a S&V collection.

If you are starting from scratch then skip the Most Wanted and just use single ship Scum expansion packs such as the ones in Wave 7 or 8 unless you really need the Scum-wings or ScumZies.

Still Aggressors and a single Starviper is a good starting point from Wave 6. Wait for the inevitable scum aces pack before you consider picking up the MA-3 Scyk unless you absolutely want them. Kihraxz Fighters or a VY-666 will always be better than MA-3 Scyks.

Edited by Marinealver

Do you have to go for Aggressors though? Cause I'm not super interested in playing them from looking at them.

It depends on whether you have any y-wings, hwks or z-95s really. If you already have some, the most wanted pack will bump you up in points significantly.

I have a single Y-wing, that's it.

Do you have to go for Aggressors though? Cause I'm not super interested in playing them from looking at them.

I have a single Y-wing, that's it.

Then I recommend going with two Agressors and a star viper to start.

The Aggressor is really not required. It comes with a few cool cards, but it's only really used in a few types of lists. I'm a one-of-everything collector, and I've only flown my Aggressor maybe 2 or 3 times ever.

The Most Wanted set is pretty much a must-buy for Scum eventually, so you might as well start with it. The StarViper and Scyk are both good as one-offs, but I wouldn't buy multiples, at least to start. The Kihraxz is solid, and may be worth buying two or even three of at some point (five is possible, but may be overkill). The Hound's Tooth is also pretty dang awesome.

Based on what you have (1 Y-Wing), you should be able to get good mileage from Most Wanted (you'll be flying YYZZ for Scum, which can be fun but isn't necessarily tournament-competitive, if you care).

Lots of people here have been saying "2 Aggressors." You've said you're not that interested in that ship. Great! Skip it and find something you are interested in. If you buy Most Wanted, a HWK or Firespray would be good but not necessary (I didn't get a Firespray until well after I got Most Wanted).

If you don't buy Most Wanted, then... 1 Khiraxz, 1 Starviper, and the YV-666 or save for the Jumpmaster, perhaps.

If you aren't interested in Aggressors and only have one Y-Wing...

Most Wanted is, as everyone else has said, a must-buy. If you're relatively new to X-Wing, the YV-666 gives a fun ship and some great crew cards / other general upgrades you might be lacking.

Scum HWKs can be brutal, but unfortunately you'll need Most Wanted AND a HWK expansion to use them, as MW doesn't come with a physical ship.

Scum Firesprays, particularly Boba, can also pack a nasty punch. The YV-666 and Kihraxz expansions come with Glitterstim, which is probably the best Illicit upgrades for a Firespray.

How much are you wanting to spend, too? That's always a factor. For an absolute must-have list of things to buy while still being kind to the wallet....

1x Most Wanted

1x Starviper (some great cards in this expansion)

1x YV-666

1x HWK

You can switch out the YV-666 for a Firespray if you'd like. A named Scum Firespray + HWK + Z-95 like N'Dru can be boatloads of fun.

I'd first go with:

1x Most Wanted

1x Firespray

1x Starviper

2x Kihraxz

Then later on:

1x Hounds Tooth

2x Aggressor

1x Hawk

1x Scyk

... and maybe one more Most Wanted, Starviper and Kihraxz. :-)

Edited by admat

I love playing Scum. There is absolutely no right or wrong way to go as its all personal preference and depends on if you are looking to play competitively in tournaments or for casual fun play.

There are ships that some people love that I don't care for and ships that I love that others loathe. It's all subjective.

I would highly recommend a minimum of 1 Most Wanted Pack. I haven't picked up my second yet but will eventually. That gives you access to the base token and card for Scum Boba Fett who is a blast to play. Slap Veteran Instincts and an Engine Upgrade on him, move last (usually) and boost into range 1 and let him use his awesome ability. If you already own a Fires pray you are set but if not its a very worthwhile investment. Fill out your list with a combination of Y-Wings, Z-95's and/or HWK-290's depending on what else you own.

I love the Star Viper but others don't. I think it's fun to fly. I would recommend just 1 to start with.

I'm not a fan of the Scyk. I own 1. That's plenty for me.

The Aggressor (aka IG-2000) is cool. I like it and own 2 for IG88 shenanigans. Other people despise them. Just 1 is fine to start with if you think it is something you would like.

The Kihraxz is fine. I have 1. Not all that crazy about them yet.

I love love love the Hounds Tooth. I think it's fun to use but again others will hate the lumbering beast that it is. There are some great pilot abilities that you can augment with the right crew and other upgrades.

two aggressors and a Starviper is just brobots, which is immediately competitive if entirely derivative (which I guess makes since, given the robotic, hive-mind nature of the pilots)

for more variety, two most wanted sets and a Viper give you access to a lot of lists

you get the Xizor mini-swarm (either spam Zs, or 2 Ys and a Z, or 3 Zs and a Special-K ace with crackshot/stims...)

Guri mini-swarm (3 Zs and fully loaded Mux; really funny if you put Predator on Guri and get double re-rolls V soonts/han)

you get Thug Life (4 Ys)

you get the character firesprays and HWKs (the named HWKs are all surprisingly hilarious, actually; you wouldn't expect that little ship to be such a terror)

just don't get the Scyk <_<

Hi,

I have a bit of X-wing stuff right now, but I was wondering what would be the minimum / advised ships needed to start playing Scum at 100 points. I imagine Most Wanted would be handy but I don't really know beyond that.

It depends on your play style.  Scum can create many double large ship lists between the Agressor, Firespray, and the yv-666.  If you enjoy flying a quad of tanks, Thuglife (4 y-wings) is a popular list.  Want a bit more finesse? Try Starvipers.  I will agree that the Most Wanted is a must buy for all Scum players.  After that, it really depends on your play style.

Edited by Stone37

I fly Scum a lot and Z-95's are among my favourites.

To echo what's been said, Most Wanted and a Firespray will give you a good feel of how Scum work. Then eventually add an Aggressor and Starviper or 2.

Enjoy

Cheers

Baaa

I say get a Firespray you have some really fun pilots.

A Kggrdchtvbj fighter is another good choice talonbane is a great ace.

I'd avoid scyk they Arnt really working at the moment.

Unless he's doing proxy, he won't have the ship tokens for Scum Firesprays. The new Boba, Kath, Emon and Mando Merc all come from Most Wanted.

Honestly, doing Scum without Most Wanted is really, really hard right now. It opens up four different ship classes for the faction. If you're also restricting yourself from the Aggressor (which come with a host of the Illicit upgrades that currently define the faction), you may as well skip the faction completely, as that's more than half their possible ships.

Edited by PhantomFO

I love my Bro's but I have to admit, I like my Vipers and Scum Y's better. They are far more challenging to use and are capable of surprisingly good combos. Syck's are in limbo until FFG wants to make them relevant. The HWK's are great but start to get pricey after a few upgrades. Your bog standard Pirate is your go to guy. Get 2 boxes of Most Wanted so you get all the Z's and Y's you'll need. 

If you like, get 2 Vipers, that's all you'll ever need until Scum Aces.