Sign in to follow this  
VaynMaanen

Alternate Format: Grifball for X-Wing!

I'm liking the fumble idea guys, and it also got me thinking about what to do when the ball is dropped in general, if the ball carrier dies.

I like the placing the template on the table just like a bomb drop with the 1 template, but what if it hits multiple targets? Do they roll to see who claims it? Crit beats hits, hits beat focus, focus beats blanks, and roll until all but 1 is eliminated?

I'm liking the fumble idea guys, and it also got me thinking about what to do when the ball is dropped in general, if the ball carrier dies.

I like the placing the template on the table just like a bomb drop with the 1 template, but what if it hits multiple targets? Do they roll to see who claims it? Crit beats hits, hits beat focus, focus beats blanks, and roll until all but 1 is eliminated?

Would go by pilot skill.  Higher PS wins.  Would also maybe stipulate no duplicate ships.  Only one of each ship type allowed.  Make each ship a unique "player" with a unique backstory and potentially some special abilities to balance ships like the HWK.  Good golly, if I had time to kill, I would love to go crazy with this idea.

Highest PS get it of course :)

If there is an equality, they "bump" into each other and it is the next PS rank that get it. If there is none, the carrier miraculously catch it back.

I thought losing more than half your remaining hull causing a fumble made sense because it should be tougher to knock it loose from a full hull y-wing than from a tie fighter. But if that y has already been beaten up a bit, that'd be different.

I thought losing more than half your remaining hull causing a fumble made sense because it should be tougher to knock it loose from a full hull y-wing than from a tie fighter. But if that y has already been beaten up a bit, that'd be different.

Interesting point of view. Could be that when you are hit, if the amount of hit/crit is equal or superior than the amount of hull/shield remaining (after the damage are applied), you fumble. This would simulate that.

Edited by Wildhorn

About: There is a time limit for the game (TBD)

Since the more player there is, the longer a turn takes, maybe instead of a time limit put a turn limit?

But no matter if it is time or turn limit based, once the timer is up, maybe add the following rules:

- If the ball is not held by a ship, end the game
- If the ball is held by a ship of the losing team and the score difference is only of 1 point, continue until the ball is dropped or scored, else end the game.

- If the ball is held by a ship and the scores are even, continue until the ball is dropped or scored, then end the game.

- When the game end, if the scores are even, there is an eliminatory play. The teams and ball are reset and they play until a team score a point.

Edited by Wildhorn

Interesting point of view. Could be that when you are hit, if the amount of hit/crit is equal or superior than the amount of hull/shield remaining (after the damage are applied), you fumble. This would simulate that.

I like this rule. Basically a hard hit will knock the ball loose. Will add that to the rules

About: There is a time limit for the game (TBD)

Since the more player there is, the longer a turn takes, maybe instead of a time limit put a turn limit?

But no matter if it is time or turn limit based, once the timer is up, maybe add the following rules:

- If the ball is not held by a ship, end the game

- If the ball is held by a ship of the losing team and the score difference is only of 1 point, continue until the ball is dropped or scored, else end the game.

- If the ball is held by a ship and the scores are even, continue until the ball is dropped or scored, then end the game.

- When the game end, if the scores are even, there is an eliminatory play. The teams and ball are reset and they play until a team score a point.

Didn't consider the number of players. Maybe I can make it so its teams of 6 ships, and the teams choose the dials together?

Or is it just easier to have each player choose their own ship individually, with knowledge of where others are going? Should there be a max per team set?

I think to determine time or round limits, I'd be curious to try running a single round and see how long it takes. Once I have all the rules finalized I might try to run a practice session on VASSAL

I think it is better to have each player choose their own ship manoeuver individually, no right to check at the dial of teammate, but you can talk to each others aloud of opposite team during the game, but in secrecy inbetween round.

This simulate that team can discuss strategy on the side when a play is reset, but once they are into the action, you are into the action.

For the amount of players, anything between 4 and 6 sound good.

Edited by Wildhorn

Another idea could be that you can pass the ball if a teammate is at R1, but that you could also pass it at R2 and R3 if the teammate is within your firing arc, but if the trajectory pass throu an opponent, there is a change that he catch it.

At R2, he could catch it if he roll an evade.
At R3, he could catch it if he roll an evade or an eye.

How does it sound? This would add a need to cover the opponents and some interesting gameplay IMO.

I'm thinking Calvinball X-wing might be even better:

Other kids' games are all such a bore!

They've gotta have rules and they gotta keep score!

Calvinball is better by far!

It's never the same! It's always bizarre!

You don't need a team or a referee!

You know that it's great, 'cause it's named after me!

I'm thinking Calvinball X-wing might be even better:

Other kids' games are all such a bore!

They've gotta have rules and they gotta keep score!

Calvinball is better by far!

It's never the same! It's always bizarre!

You don't need a team or a referee!

You know that it's great, 'cause it's named after me!

My little brother and I played Calvinball once and it was awesome. Just took all the random sports stuff we had and whoever scored got to add a new piece of equipment and a new rule. Started off with something simple like hitting a croquet ball through a wicket. After a bunch of points there were hockey sticks, soccer balls, a volleyball net... and a really complicated series of events needed to score. Hilarious fun!

Taking those ideas, what if we sacrificed practicality and playability for thematics? lololol

Your team gets 7 small-base ships only, and you have 140 points to distribute among your squad. You need:

1 Seeker (a fast, precise ship, think TIE/In, A-Wings, M3-As, TIE Phantoms, maaaybe K-Wings)

2 Beaters (heavy hitters, think B-Wings, X-Wings, Y-Wings w/turret)

3 Chasers (mid-range attackers, think X-Wings, Khiraxz, TIE/In, TIE/Adv)

1 Keeper (a defensive, knife-fighter ship, think B-Wings, StarVipers, Khiraxz, TIE/Def)

We'll use six Connor Nets to represent three goals for each side. Each need to be placed a 1-speed template away from each other.

The Keeper begins the game within Range 1 of his goals. The Chasers begin outside of Range 3 of the Quaffle in the center of the map. The Seeker and the Beaters begin at Range 2 of the end of the map.

We'll use a single cluster bomb as the "Quaffle" (or soccer ball) and place it in the center of the game play area. Only the Chasers can pick it up, and the first one whose base overlaps it will pick it up (and should be marked with a crit token or something). The carrier then flies toward the opponents' goals and at Range 1 performs an attack to try to get the ball through. He uses his attack value verses the goal's four unmodified evade dice.

Meanwhile, the Beaters and Keeper use their attack values to try to attack the ball carrier. If the ball carrier is hit, he must pass the ball to a friendly Chaser within Range 1; if there is no friendly Chaser within Range 1, he drops the ball using the normal bomb dropping template rules.

Beaters can attack any enemy ship, but the Keeper may only attack the ball carrier.

All weapons are counted as having the Ion effect; that is to say, any attack that hits deals only one damage, and places 1 ion token on the defender. If a ship reaches 0 hull, it is removed from the game for a whole Activation Phase and Combat Phase round, and at the start of the following Activation Phase, it is placed back on the field beyond Range 1 behind his own goal posts with 1/3 of its max health rounded down.

Each time the ball carrier performs a successful attack against the goal/Connor Net, his team scores 10 points and the ball is placed at Range 1 behind the goal post that it was scored against.

While all of this is going on, the Seekers are zipping around the map trying to find the hidden ball. I don't know how this mechanic works, but I'm open to ideas. I am not a big fan of using tokens to randomly flip up when you overlap, but I do want to make it difficult to acquire the hidden ball (such as: the Seeker needs to perform an attack against six unmodified evade dice). Feel free to suggest ideas for this.

I'm honestly not a fan of how complicated this game sounds, but I like the intricacies required for squad-building. For example, your Chasers will need to have a balance of high and low PS and attack dice--the low PS move first and pick up the ball first, but the high PS will get to attack first and try to score first before the Keeper/Beaters can knock the ball off of him. Your Beaters and Keeper will need 3 attack dice and 1 hard turns, and possibly Sloops and K-turns, and need high PS. This really affects your point distribution. You only have an average of 20 points per ship--so in what positions will you compromise and put in TIE/Fighters and Z-95s so you can have higher PS ships in other positions?

Admittedly, this game would take hours and still be a low-scoring game. Unless we can fix it. But first, I think I'd want to play the Grifball/Biggsball version.

That's really funny that you named it Biggsball too. I totally didn't steal you name on my thread on purpose. Never saw yours first lol. But I like some of the stuff you got going on here. I'd definitely be interested in helping each other out to make this a legit (well, as legit as possible) format!