Sign in to follow this  
tantive4

Looking to get back into the game

I purchased one core of LotR and The Hunt for Gollum three years ago and my wife and I tried playing the game.  We had purchased Netrunner at the same time thinking that both games would give us some variety in game play.  Netrunner didn't last as my wife didn't like playing the Corps, but we've held on to LotR and it's taken out once or twice a year...but with what we have we've found the game to very difficult and demoralizing...which does not equate to fun.

Not wanting to take is super serious, but just wanting to have fun, does the forums have any suggestions?  A second core to help with deck building?  Specific Adventure Packs that you would suggest?  We really want to like the game, but need a little help.

Thanks in advance!

One suggestion is easy mode (rules).  This mode is for people who simply want to enjoy the theme and cooperative aspect of the game.  Also, Escape from Dol Guldur (the third scenario in the core set) is notoriously difficult!

Edited by cmabr002

Yeah, definitely give easy mode a try, although Escape from Dol Guldur might still be too difficult.

Here is a pair of decks that work pretty well with just a single core set.  You should be able to win (at least occasionally) against Journey Down the Anduin and Hunt for Gollum.

Edited by Teamjimby

Arguable the easiest quests in the game are Passage Through Mirkwood, Hunt for Gollum and Hills of Amon Muil. If you want another ‘easier’ quest, you could buy The Hills of Amon Muil.

Also, check your manual for the so-called 'easy mode'. If your manual doesn't include it, look for the latest manual online. Easy mode tells you to remove some of the nastier cards in the encounterdeck and let's you start with 1 additional resource on each hero. It's a much more relaxed way to play.

Other than that, the best way to make the game easier without getting  too ‘serious’ with deckbuilding guides etc. is to buy a few more packs to increase your player cardpool so you can build more powerful decks.

The Watcher in the Water, Foundation of Stone and Shadow and Flame are imo. the best packs to get some of the most powerful player cards in the game. With these cards, you should be able to build a pair of decks that can handle the game’s easier quest no problemo. Then you can work your way into more difficult quests from there. Remember that you’ll need the Khazad Dum expansion in order to play the quests from the above mentioned adventure packs. Those quests are significantly more difficult though. So you could buy the 3 AP's first, then if you still like the game, buy Khazad Dum so you can play the quests from those packs as well!

Alternatively, the AP The Stewards Fear has a set of player cards called ‘Outlands’ which are one of the most powerful deck types in the game. Give those cards to one player and you’ll be in great shape as wel! That’s the cheapest way (in terms of money of course!) to get an edge over the encounter deck. The quest included in that box (as well as that entire cycle) is waaaaay too difficult if you don’t own all the cards leading up tot hem, so don’t bother yet.

My advice would be to buy:

-        Watcher in the Water

-        Foundation of Stone

-        Shadow and Flame

(then buy Khazad Dum if you get bored of the quests from the core set to unlock the quests)

Or

-        The Stewards Fear

Build some decks with those player cards and you’ll have a much more relaxed time. If you’ll get bored with the easier quests, you can try the ones from those AP’s you bought or buy some more from the Shadow of Mirkwood cycle (which came out before Khazad Dum, so they are generally easier). As you’ll get more experienced, you’ll do fine.

If the addition of more player cards still isn’t doing much for you, you’ll either need to invest more time (watch playthroughs online, read deck building guides etc.) or money (buy more packs for more player cards). But in that case, the game might be asking too much of your attention to enjoy.

Thanks a lot for the response, I really appreciate it.  I don't remember ever seeing an "easy" mode inside the manual, but I'll definitely take a look.

I guess I'll be ordering some new stuff!

I took a look at the easy mode instructions, which is exactly what I think my wife and I need.  After reading through, I am pretty sure I have an early copy of the game without the gold boarder encounter cards.

Again, thanks a bunch!

Thanks a lot for the response, I really appreciate it.  I don't remember ever seeing an "easy" mode inside the manual, but I'll definitely take a look.

Easy mode wasn't released with the original game which is why I imagine it wasn't included in your game.  It is something the developers added later when they had many people asking for a more relaxed experience.  Hopefully it will be the solution you are looking for.  If you feel there is still something lacking, a lot of people on this forum are happy to help!

I would suggest you also buy The Black Riders. The quests are very good and highly thematic. You can really relate to the actual events of the first part of the Lord of the Rings book! You also get lots of hobbit characters that work well together. They are lots of fun especially if you play easy mode! In the box you also get suggestions for decks you can build from that box and the core set only.

Awesome that you want to get back into this fantastic game and awesome you found easy mode such great fun :)

That's the beauty of this game. 3 difficulty levels. Easy/thematic, normal(hard) and Nightmare(harder!!)

So no matter what level of complicated deck building you want to get into (or avoid) there is still a level that fits.

So glad you had a good time.

Avoid conflict at the carrock and also journey to rhosgobel if you don't want to deck tweak. I loved these scenarios but found more deck tweaking/building was needed which in my mind made them harder. Oh Redhirn Gate needed deck-ness too :)