Sign in to follow this  
VictorTugglebend

Recommendations for starting out

Hi there,

I'm looking to start playing Star Wars but the Edge of the Empire core rulebook is rarer than hen's teeth in the UK right now. I've seen that it has been re-printed and is currently 'On the Boat' meaning that at some mystical point in the future it will probably be available to buy again.

But I want to start wrapping my head around the mechanics now.

So ... Given that I ultimately want to run an Edge of the Empire 'style' game should I continue to wait for the eventual reappearance of the core rulebook, or would picking up either of the other two core rulebooks be worth while and if so which one?

Thanks in advance. :)

If you're planning on purchasing another of the core books at some point in the future, it'd be worth it to get it now.  However, if you're only interested in Edge and you're planning on purchasing it eventually, -and- money is a limiting factor, I'd suggest waiting the month or two for the book to find it's way to shore.

The systems are fundamentally the same, but the settings are different and the flavor is substantially different as well.

If you'd like to get -something- now, I'd suggest picking up Lords of Nal Hutta.  It's got similar flavor to the seedier parts of EotE and will give you a fairly good idea of the feeling of the system.  It won't have all the rules and classes and such, but it should help set the scene.

Hi Victor,

Depends on what other 'aspects' of SW you want in your game of outer rim-dwelling scoundrels.

Age of Rebellion is obviously Rebel/Imperial conflict based and content within details equipment/starships of a more military nature along with relevant rebel based story ideas and background info.

Force and Destiny is for the force wielding Jedi/Sith/Force Sensitives based adventures. And as expected an expansion on Force Powers and equipment (especially, of course, lightsabers that have more 'modding' options as opposed to those represented in EoTE and AoR that are technically generic 'fully modded' versions).

Game mechanics remain the same for all three core rulebooks. The fundamental differences being the character Careers and Specs are mostly different (a few duplicates) to represent the 'flavour' of each game along with the personal 'hooks' for characters (EoTE has Obligation, the toils and pressures of living on the edge of the galaxy inspiring the characters to do what they do, AoR has Duty and F&D has Morality, but these latter two are not necessary for an Edge game).

Also, I Agree with Braendig on Lords of Nal Hutta for an early supplement.

Suns of Fortune might also be a good early purchase, being a 'setting' book like Lords of Nal Hutta, except for the Corellian Sector. All sorts of hooks, ideas, and flavor to be found in there.

And I'll throw another vote in for the beginner game. It proved quite useful in teaching players the mechanics, and between that and the downloadable sequel was actually a lot of fun.

I'd get Force and Destiny if I were you.

Mainly because there are extensive rules for using the force, just in case one of your players want to become force sensetive sometime in the future.

Then you'll already have those rules.

And the other rules are the same as in EotE, so you can study up on the rules while waiting for your EotE core book :D

All three games are very good.  I'd actually recommend Age of Rebellion as a first game.  The players have presumably seen the original trilogy so should find it easiest to get into (goals, character types, etc.).  There's a clear enemy, making planning easier for the GM.  Players have responsibilities, so you get a better idea of what they will and won't do.

Edge is great, but you have to be prepared for the players to say "This is too dangerous - time to go to clear across the other side of the galaxy."  I don't know how experienced a GM you are - if you're good at improvising stuff this could be gold.

I've only just started playing Force and Destiny so take this with a grain of salt, but because of how Force powers work I only imagine it truly sings when the characters have "levelled up", significantly.   (We got +150xp immediately after character creation and my character at least doesn't feel as competent as a Jedi Knight.)

Edited by Col. Orange

So ... Given that I ultimately want to run an Edge of the Empire 'style' game should I continue to wait for the eventual reappearance of the core rulebook, or would picking up either of the other two core rulebooks be worth while and if so which one?

My vote would be on picking up Age of Rebellion, mainly because (like EoTE) it's a "force-light" setting.  If cash for two cores might be an issue then definitely go for the setting books (Lords of Nal Hutta and/or Suns of Fortune).

All three games are very good.  I'd actually recommend Age of Rebellion as a first game.  The players have presumably seen the original trilogy so should find it easiest to get into (goals, character types, etc.).  There's a clear enemy, making planning easier for the GM.  Players have responsibilities, so you get a better idea of what they will and won't do.

Edge is great, but you have to be prepared for the players to say "This is too dangerous - time to go to clear across the other side of the galaxy."  I don't know how experienced a GM you are - if you're good at improvising stuff this could be gold.

I've only just started playing Force and Destiny so take this with a grain of salt, but because of how Force powers work I only imagine it truly sings when the characters have "levelled up", significantly.   (We got +150xp immediately after character creation and my character at least doesn't feel as competent as a Jedi Knight.)

I am still reading the system but I agree, a +150xp makes you feel more like than a padawan than a knight, an simple chargen characters feels like a kid still in academy. That is for "Jedi" characters, I am not sure about other type of characters.

Yeah the 150xp really is for characters that have just hit the Knight level of power, and barely at that. It's supposed to be the start of being deemed able to "safely" go out into the galaxy by your master/s, mentor, or what have you.
For actually playing "knights" who are well established and moderately trained in their particular fields, you're looking closer to the 300xp mark.

I second what has been said about the cores. It really is nice to have while you wait if you can afford them. Otherwise see about a splat that interests you, especially if that splat rarely comes to your area. Nal Hutta is a great book to grab at anytime as well.