Sign in to follow this  
sdh007

Galaxy travel

Hello all!

I'm really loving Imperial Assault but feels like something is lacking sometimes. In Descent we got travel cards which could benefit or put is at a disadvantage. This aspect is kinda missing in Imperial Assault and I feel it would make a good addition to the game. It doesn't have to be difficult. Thinking more of terms of drawing a Galaxy Travel card and resolving the effects.

My idea would be that there are 3 vital positions on the rebel starship you control: cockpit, laserturret and repair bay. Before travelling, players have to decide who gets where. Once a rebel is allocated to a certain spot on the ship, the rebel remains there until a new mission starts. If there are more figures in play, they take place at the ship, not really putting them in a certain place.

For instance: you could draw a Hyperspace card and this would mean you instantly go to the next mission. These Hyperspace cards will be the majority of the cards so when drawing one you go to the mission. This means there will be other cards as well. For example; Asteroid Field. You have to perform a certain attribute test depending on who is flying the ship to navigate through. Each time you fail, your ship loses 1 of it's 4 shield generators and once they are all gone, roll a red die for rebel hero to see what damage you get. Example: in a small asteroid field you have to navigate through 3 asteroids. The player controlling the rebel at the cockpit has to test Insight 1 to navigate through the first one. If he passes, nothing happens. If he fails, you lose 1 shield generator. After this test, the player at the laserturret tries to blast the asteroid. He test Might 2. If he passes he shoots the asteroids to pieces and this means an asteroid less to navigate through. If he fails, nothing happens. After this the player at the Tech Bay can try to fix a shield generator. In order to do so he test Tech 3. If he passes, the ship gets back a lost shield generator. If he fails, nothing happens. 

Also cards could contain TIE Fighters and you have to roll defense and attack to see if you can destroy them or outmaneuver them.

So you could draw a Hyperspace card right away, or you could draw a Hyperspace card and maybe had 2 encounters first before you can make the jump to Hyperspace.

Edited by sdh007

The problem is space ships in Star Wars use hyperdrives to go from planet to planet, its not at all like taking a boat or airplane. The only thing that can take a ship out of hyperspace would be a gravity well like what Interdictor Cruisers use. Navcomputers set up courses for the ship to take to get from point A to point B, so unless your navcomputer is a PoS, you would NEVER go into an asteroid field. In fact, going through an asteroid field in hyperspace would be outright suicide. TIE Fighters lack a hyperdrive so they cannot chase, and combat in hyperspace is impossible due to the speed the ships would be going.

In other words, the only time you would face travel troubles would be in orbit around Point A and Point B, not between except for an Interdictor Cruiser (or other natural occurences.)

I like this idea. I think this could be implemented to X-Wing or Armada for people that have those.

Most missions could use the card based random idea, but some you could have some options specific to that mission. Take Vipers Den for example, based on the briefing, there's likely to be an Imperial presence above the planet that involves TIE's and a Star Destroyer to avoid before you can start the mission. Or Impounded could have a sequence where you have to outrun/outmaneuver some TIE's if the Rebels win.

In other words, the only time you would face travel troubles would be in orbit around Point A and Point B, not between except for an Interdictor Cruiser (or other natural occurences.)

So maybe the asteroid belt idea is a little bogus, but how many missions is your pilot taking you from the encounter hot?  There's plenty of opportunity for Imperial issues in orbit before you could make Hyperspace.  And maybe it's not asteroids, but evading the Imps has taken you though a ship graveyard in orbit and there's plenty of debris floating around, simulating the asteroid scenario he described above.

Ok, let me clarify what I meant.

You end a mission and draw a Galaxy card. If it's a "jump to hyperspace" event, then there aren't any cards drawn anymore. You immediatly arrive at your next mission.

But if ending a mission and drawing a Galaxy card and the card states an Asteroid Field or Tie fighter interception, then you have to do this event. After resolving this event, you draw a new Galaxy card. If that card is a "Jump to hyperspace" card then you start the next mission.

So you could draw a jump to hyperspace card right away and be clear of danger; or maybe you had 2 events before you actually can make the jump to hyperspace (depending on the cards you drew).

I hope this is more clearer now :)

Actually it is clearer now. Seeing as more clearer is incorrect. Grammar Police - To Corect and Serve

Thanks for correcting Felswrath. I'm from Belgium so english isn't my native language. I try to do my best to pronounce and write as good as I can. Thus appreciating the learning tips to improve my grammar and vocabulary.