Sign in to follow this  
TheMoonLord

Defender lovers unite

It takes time... i have been buying for over two years now, and loving it every month. Zeds are going to die, so I figure they may as well blow up BIG. Plus you have to be careful and run a soon to die Zed into a place it is going to take a few dogs to hel with it. Makes the game more fun.

Get up front you living bomb you!

:lol:

DMS Z-95s are actually a really good idea...

*casually steals it*

I've played a lot with this 3-ship and had a blast. Sometimes with a cannon on Vessery, more often without. Sometimes outmaneuver on both Vessery and Echo.

100 Points

44 points
• Colonel Vessery
TIE Defender
“Mangler” Cannon

Veteran Instincts

Engine Upgrade

38 points
• “Echo”
TIE Phantom

Intelligence Agent

Fire-Control System

Veteran Instincts

Advanced Cloaking Device

18 points
• Dark Curse
TIE Fighter
Targeting Computer

I will soon* try both of these.

99 Points

35 points
• Colonel Vessery
TIE Defender

18 points
• Dark Curse
TIE Fighter
Targeting Computer
19 points
• “Epsilon Leader”
TIE/fo Fighter

27 points
• Zertik Strom
TIE Advanced

TIE/x1

Advanced Targeting Computer

99 Points

37 points
• Colonel Vessery
TIE Defender

Lightning Reflexes

Twin Ion Engine Mk. II

40 points
• “Echo”
TIE Phantom
Rebel Captive

Fire-Control System

Crack Shot

Advanced Cloaking Device

22 points
Omega Squadron Pilot
TIE/fo Fighter
Weapons Guidance

Veteran Instincts

Autothrusters

*soon as I'm done playing with my Hwk TLT lists

@ biophysical

do you have some experiance facing brobots with your dual defender list?

Mostly in me vs me practice, of which I'm a little uneasy drawing a lot of conclusions from.  On paper, Brobots have all the advantages.  They have more hit points, a more accurate gun, the system slot, and Boost (with the associated mandatory Autothrusters).  They win the Range 3 matchup pretty hard because of Autothrusters, and that's typically the HLC Defender's favorite place to be.  

The Brobots lists further proves how the Defender was over-cost.  30 points for PS 1, small base, 3/3/3/3, roll, and a cannon slot.  IG-88 comes in at 36 points, large base, PS 6, 3/3/4/4, cannon, system and illicit, bomb, EPT, boost.  I don't think anyone in there right mind can defend the cost of the Defender when compared to the Agressor.  Still holding out hope that FFG addresses this and gives our beloved Defender a power boost.

Just won a smallish tourney (22 people) with the following:

I call it Delta Echo!

Delta, Ion

Delta, Ion

Echo, VI, Styg.

99 Points

I have flown this list too, but with one change.  Intl. Agent.  Use that point!  It really helps Echo to figure out where and how to decloak. 

@ biophysical

Mostly in me vs me practice, of which I'm a little uneasy drawing a lot of conclusions from.  On paper, Brobots have all the advantages.  They have more hit points, a more accurate gun, the system slot, and Boost (with the associated mandatory Autothrusters).  They win the Range 3 matchup pretty hard because of Autothrusters, and that's typically the HLC Defender's favorite place to be.  

The Brobots lists further proves how the Defender was over-cost.  30 points for PS 1, small base, 3/3/3/3, roll, and a cannon slot.  IG-88 comes in at 36 points, large base, PS 6, 3/3/4/4, cannon, system and illicit, bomb, EPT, boost.  I don't think anyone in there right mind can defend the cost of the Defender when compared to the Agressor.  Still holding out hope that FFG addresses this and gives our beloved Defender a power boost.

ION's also work great vs Bro bots.   In my game the guy tried to pop his inertial dampeners while he was ION'ed to avoid going off the board.   I told him you don't reveal a dial and dampeners says "After revealing your dial"    He got so pissed he quit the game.      I had use this list lots and many people don't even realize the rule

I call it Delta Echo!

Delta, Ion

Delta, Ion

Echo, VI, Styg.

99 Points

I have flown this list too, but with one change.  Intl. Agent.  Use that point!  It really helps Echo to figure out where and how to decloak. 

I thought about it, but I figured the 1 point would win me some init bids with echo, and it did.   Great versus brobots and other ps 8 guys

Edited by eagletsi111

@ biophysical

I'd rather not see Defenders at Brobots levels.  I actually think the bots are a little underpriced for what they bring to the table.  A couple more points would allow them to still have all their options, but have fewer options available any given game.  Alternatively, that native large base Boost is probably a bit too good for their current price point.  

I keep meaning to give this squad a try but have not been able to play much X-Wing lately.

Rexler Brath (37)

Predator (3)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

Tempest Squadron Pilot (21)
Cluster Missiles (4)
Accuracy Corrector (0)
TIE/x1 (0)

Tempest Squadron Pilot (21)
Cluster Missiles (4)
Accuracy Corrector (0)
TIE/x1 (0)

Total: 100

I have used almost this list (no TIE mk2's but hull upgrade on Brath instead).  The only problem is grabbing a target lock @ PS 2 can be tricky sometimes, especially large based ships w/ boost or arc-dodgers.  Putting the clusters on the tempests is nice though since sometimes people ignore Brath and try to kill the tempests before they can fire their missiles.  Brath can really lay on some hurt while being ignored.  I wonder if this would be better:

Brath w/ Lone wolf + HLC

2 Storm squad pilots w/ x-1, Acc Corrector + clusters

Doesn't help get target locks against high PS though...

Edited by blade_mercurial

@ biophysical

I'd rather not see Defenders at Brobots levels.  I actually think the bots are a little underpriced for what they bring to the table.  A couple more points would allow them to still have all their options, but have fewer options available any given game.  Alternatively, that native large base Boost is probably a bit too good for their current price point.  

I have no problems with the Brobots.  They are suppose to be calculated and efficient killers.  They are.  They have their weaknesses, that large base being one of them.  I have problems with the lack of options the Defender currently has.  Their pilot skills do not match up very well with the rest of the Empire (x1 fix helps), and only two of the pilots have EPTs.  Yes it has a white K turn, but with no native boost action it really can't take full advantage of this ability.  Had FFG given the Defender a native boost action and the Onyx an EPT, I doubt we'd be complaining. 

I call it Delta Echo!

Delta, Ion

Delta, Ion

Echo, VI, Styg.

99 Points

I have been flying deltas with ION's for a while now, at range three you put one Ion on a large ship, then when it flies close to the edge you get it again.    I sent 3 large ships off the board with this.     Frankly echo just keeps moving backward, staying at range 3, with evades.    Keep taking 4 dice pot shots the whole game.

I took down two 4 TLT list with this and one brobots with the VI upgrade,   Ion's are just awesome for it.    

Went 4-1 my only loss was too a new tie swarm with the FO's and Vader.

Fun list, now sure what else I can do to make it better.   Sure it has some weakness, but at all costs you must keep Echo at range 3 always, by decloaking to the sides backwards when possible.

That sounds like a killer list. Phantoms + defender = magic.

But: One improvement.

Delta, Ion

Delta, Ion

Echo, VI, The Stig

100 Points

Some say that the Stig has a PS of 14.

Some say that he can perform tallon rolls in a space cow..

Edited by DariusAPB

@ biophysical

I have no problems with the Brobots.  They are suppose to be calculated and efficient killers.  They are.  They have their weaknesses, that large base being one of them.  I have problems with the lack of options the Defender currently has.  Their pilot skills do not match up very well with the rest of the Empire (x1 fix helps), and only two of the pilots have EPTs.  Yes it has a white K turn, but with no native boost action it really can't take full advantage of this ability.  Had FFG given the Defender a native boost action and the Onyx an EPT, I doubt we'd be complaining. 

I don't really have problems with Brobots either.  They're not unbalancing, or anything.  I'm mostly just musing here.  More options would be great on the Defender, I agree.  Any of the current fixes (reduced price (A-wing), extra EPT (A-wing), systems slot (Advanced)) would let you do some really cool things with the Defender.  They're not so bad right now as to be unusable, though.  

Echo, VI, The Stig

Can he do it from the passenger seat?  Cause that's where he'd be sitting.

Well, DUH OBVIOUSLY!

He's the Stig afterall.

Some say he can fly any ship from the crew slot...

Edited by DariusAPB

The TIE Defender is not just a ship, it is a lifestyle choice.

I like these two lists:

Delta Squad Pilot x2

Bounty Hunter with Gunner and Seismic Charge

or

Omicron Pilot in the ST-321 with Advanced Sensors, Fleet Officer, Mara Jade, and Tactical Jammer

Delta Squad Pilot with Stealth Device x2

Echo, VI, The Stig

Can he do it from the passenger seat?  Cause that's where he'd be sitting.

Well, DUH OBVIOUSLY!

He's the Stig afterall.

Some say he can fly any ship from the crew slot...

And some say he turns the entire dial green...

The TIE Defender is not just a ship, it is a lifestyle choice.

I like these two lists:

Delta Squad Pilot x2

Bounty Hunter with Gunner and Seismic Charge

or

Omicron Pilot in the ST-321 with Advanced Sensors, Fleet Officer, Mara Jade, and Tactical Jammer

Delta Squad Pilot with Stealth Device x2

I like that.

But Sir, how can we fight the rebels? They have TLT and cheap hull points; what do we have?

We have: The Defender.

But. . . but sir, it's so over pri-

Silence fool. You do not understand because you do not think. With The Defender we have the one thing that can truly destroy the enemy right where he lives. Right in his flashing red spot. Right in the gooey fan-loved chocolaty mass that is their moral centre.

What does The Defender have sir?

Charm.

I'd really like to take the defender out for a spin in an upcoming store tourney, and I've had my eye on two builds in particular - since there's so many defenderers gathered in one place, would any of you be willing to give me your opinion on them?

1)

Delta + twin ion engine x2

Echo with ACD, VI, FCS & intel

2)

Vessery + HLC

Sigma with SPA + FCS x2

The first list is low on synergy, but it gives echo some meaty backup , allowing her to stay back and play the range-3 game that she's so good at, while the deltas do their k-turn dance. The deltas also offer tlt lists the temptation to target them over echo, as they're ps1, and echo loves to avoid attention.

The second list is pretty glassy, but has very high damage output, ps superiority over the ubiquitous tlts and leaves you with a phantom or two on the table for your end game, assuming your opponent correctly targets vess. It's one of those annoying lists, though, that really could do with just 3 or 4 more points to dramatically improve it - two intel agents and lone wolf would make it pretty handy.

Edited by banjobenito

Want to give this list a shot; I call it "Brathstabber."

Rexler Brath (52)

- Push the Limit

- Concussion Missiles

- Heavy Laser Cannon

- Twin Ion Engine Mk. II

Backstabber (16)

Dark Curse (16)

Night Beast (15)

Total: 99

It would be insanely fun!

Aren't the concs a little redundant when you have the HLC? If you're packing a Heavy Laser you really want a fancy missile that does something your main gun doesn't: Ion Pulse Missile, Advanced Homing Missile, Assault Missile.

Woops! Those are supposed to be Clusters. I usually use Ion Pulse Missiles, but it seems like large ships may not be in as much favor as they once were.

Before TIE MkII I ran this and got 3rd at a tournament: 

Vessery

- VI

- Ion Pulse Missiles

- HLC

- Engine Upgrade

Brath

- Predator

- HLC

- Ion Pulse Missiles

It was a great list, but the turns an Ion Pulse Missile would've done me any good, it was usually better just to take the HLC shot due to the board state. So I decided to go with Clusters. I mistyped my original post.

I don't think you want to give the defender boost though - it becomes a beefy interceptor - granted it doesn't get green turns - but still, the less like the interceptor and the more like a highspeed wreckingball of doom - the happier I am :D