Sign in to follow this  
TheMoonLord

Defender lovers unite

The Defender is probably my favourite ship in the game, partly owing to it being the second Imperial ship (besides starter set TIEs) that I bought, partly owing to its unique dial, and partly because it is so underused and underappreciated, as in all tabletop game I often find myself drawn to the underdogs and away from the 'meta' choices. Rexler Brath, being the first pilot I ever flew the Defender with, quickly became my favourite when I first realised the potency of his pilot ability.

I've been trying to find a list with him that I'm happy with ever since, without any luck. With wave seven, he's definitely become more potent and reliable, but it always seems to be his support that is lacking, unable to be enough of a threat to split enemy fire without being horribly outnumbered and outgunned (as I've found when trying him alongside Vessery), or to win the game without Rex if he gets taken out first. My current thinking is what I call 'Brath Scarlet':

Rexler Brath (TIE Defender)

Push the Limit

Heavy Laser Cannon

MKII Twin Ion Engine

48pts

Kath Scarlet (Firespray-31)

Veteran Instincts

Mangler Cannon

Tactician

Engine Upgrade

Ion Bomb

51pts

I've not tried it yet, though.

Want to give this list a shot; I call it "Brathstabber."

Rexler Brath (52)

- Push the Limit

- Concussion Missiles

- Heavy Laser Cannon

- Twin Ion Engine Mk. II

Backstabber (16)

Dark Curse (16)

Night Beast (15)

Total: 99

It would be insanely fun!

Delta

Delta

Inspector Rex w/Predator.

100 on the nose.

I played at an event earlier this year with this list and scored top Imperial player in a Rebs vs Imps event with 3 wins and 2 losses in a field of 12.  Imps didn't go so well that day but Rexlar proved he can fly with the best of them.

Rex got 2 shotted by Wedge, trying to joust which is more a testament to my horrible green dice (2 volleys, 6 hits from Wedge, not a single Evade or Eye rolled) than an indictment on the Defender as a ship but he got his rep back in another game, hounding a Dash HLC Donut.to death.

I also ran at another event

Academy

Academy

Fel w/PTL, Royal Guard, Autothrusters, Hull Upgrade

Rexlar w/Predator

Yeah, I couldn't bear to leave Rex at home again and that list won 3, lost 1. 

Advanced and Bombers have my attention at the moment but I still love me some Defender action.

Yes now that I have you all gathered in one location I can go death star on this post.

Haha actually there is a guy in my area who used to run dual defenders all the time and did quite well with them. Waves 5 & 6 were not kind to them however.

Want to give this list a shot; I call it "Brathstabber."

Rexler Brath (52)

- Push the Limit

- Concussion Missiles

- Heavy Laser Cannon

- Twin Ion Engine Mk. II

Backstabber (16)

Dark Curse (16)

Night Beast (15)

Total: 99

It would be insanely fun!

Aren't the concs a little redundant when you have the HLC? If you're packing a Heavy Laser you really want a fancy missile that does something your main gun doesn't: Ion Pulse Missile, Advanced Homing Missile, Assault Missile.

I love the Defender myself, play it all the time casually, but I would never bring it to a tournament. Auto thrusters and a native boost would go a long way, though. As is, with its limitations as an arc dodger and the introduction of TLTs, those 3 green dice you're paying for are about as fickle as can be and they will determine your fate. The Mk. II fixes its green dial, but ironically enough, this prevents you from taking an EU. Hopefully FFG doesn't wait as long to fix it as they did with the Tie Adv. 

I'm a bigger fan of running Rexlar than Vessery, mostly because I hate list-building around Vessery. I don't like how he requires you to build around him more-so than any other pilot, which is why Rex became the go-to for elite pilot + TIE swarm. I may have to give Vessery another shot now that the TIE F/O is out. 

In any case, I'd love to see new pilots with abilities that don't have such strong dependence on everything else on the board. 

I played around with 3x Deltas + Ion cannon. They were really 50/50 out there on the field. The first time I tried them was right after the phantom 'nerf', and it was so much fun becuase the entire game I felt like I had a chance. Oh wait, that game I tried 2 with ion cannon, and 1 with Ion Pulse Missile. While I like the threat of Ion Pulse Missile, Delta Squadron Pilots want to Focus EVERY TIME! Whenever I target Locked, I would take big damage because I lacked a focus token.

So that's when I went with the generic 99 point 3x Ion Cannon list. I beat dual Aggressor list with it, which was fun. Managed to block IG-88 D pretty hard and get some devastating range 1 shots, and then when IG-88 B (or was it C) tried to make a run for it, we sniped it from afar and managed to land two ion tokens on it to fly it off the board. I think it was a fluke, but defenders are pretty strong against dual aggressor because it's only two attacks per turn and they have to have you in arc. Also, an ion token makes them think twice about performing a Segnor's loop because if they get hit that turn they could receive the second ion token and be in big trouble.

Most of my games haven't been so great. We faced a Leebo Chewie squad and got outmaneuvered hard. Then we had a chance to ion Leebo off the board, but our attack missed. If we had hit, we could have focused Chewie down (maybe) or at least try to walk him off the board with ions. It would have been a tough fight, but missing that shot made it impossible.

The most frustrating was against 3x Bounty Hunter. We were both 99 points, and try as we might, we couldn't get the Firesprays ioned in bad places like onto rocks or off the map. We only took down one ship before all three of my ships perished. My opponent knew my maneuvers well and just outplayed me. Maybe I could do it again on a rematch. In that game, I really wished I had Hull Upgrade instead of Ion Cannons, but most of the time I like my ions.

IMP%252520TIE%252520DEF.png

*PEW*     *PEW*      *PEW*

LOVE...

:wub:

tactical_jammer.png

You need one or two more Decimators Brah!

ARM%252520IMP%252520TIE.pngARM%252520IMP%252520TIE.png

IMP%252520TIE%252520NEW.png            IMP%252520TIE%252520NEW.png  

IMP%252520TIE%252520NEW.png

IMP%252520RAID%252520SV.png          IMP%252520RAID%252520SV.png

LOVE...

tactical_jammer.png

Borrowed your excellent and lovely lil pictures :D:wub:

LOVE...

tactical_jammer.png

Wuz part of the reason why I made them in the first place my Star Brother...

;)

Col. Vessery  - Engine Upgrade + Crack Shot

Zeta ace + Wingman

2 Alpha's with autothrusters.

Why Zeta Ace with Wingman instead of Epsilon Leader? Epsilon Leader is a point cheaper, gets an extra point of PS, and his ability affects all friendlies in range one (including himself).

If I had unlimited funds to spend, I would own an unlimited number of lil lovely ships.

Wish me luck for the next lottery ;D

I keep meaning to give this squad a try but have not been able to play much X-Wing lately.

Rexler Brath (37)
Predator (3)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

Tempest Squadron Pilot (21)
Cluster Missiles (4)
Accuracy Corrector (0)
TIE/x1 (0)

Tempest Squadron Pilot (21)
Cluster Missiles (4)
Accuracy Corrector (0)
TIE/x1 (0)

Total: 100

;)

Running a muck and putting everybody on the profile... Go Boy GOooo!

You need more ZED's too... like ten maybe... DEAD MAN's on five of 'em.

:lol:

SCUM%252520Z-95%252520%252520BLACK%25252

SCUM%252520Z-95%252520%252520BLACK%25252       REB%252520EXPLOSION%2525202.png      SCUM%252520Z-95%252520%252520BLACK%25252

IMP%252520LASERS.png           SCUM%252520Z-95%252520%252520BLACK%25252               SCUM%252520BS%252520VIPER.png         

SCUM%252520LASERS.png      SCUM%252520LASERS.png                       SCUM%252520Z-95%252520%252520BLACK%25252

Col. Vessery  - Engine Upgrade + Crack Shot

Zeta ace + Wingman

2 Alpha's with autothrusters.

Why Zeta Ace with Wingman instead of Epsilon Leader? Epsilon Leader is a point cheaper, gets an extra point of PS, and his ability affects all friendlies in range one (including himself).

Epsilon Leader is more in flavor with the Tie Defender's white K-turn.  It would be cool to have a bunch of Tie Fighters S-loop or K-turn as well and not be stressed.

;)

SCUM%252520Z-95%252520%252520BLACK%25252       REB%252520EXPLOSION%2525202.png      SCUM%252520Z-95%252520%252520BLACK%25252

IMP%252520LASERS.png           SCUM%252520Z-95%252520%252520BLACK%25252               SCUM%252520BS%252520VIPER.png         

SCUM%252520LASERS.png      SCUM%252520LASERS.png                       SCUM%252520Z-95%252520%252520BLACK%25252

I need more and more is coming ... I need Bossk and Khiraxzes and of course more Black Sun Headhunters ^^

;)

I need more and more is coming ... I need Bossk and Khiraxzes and of course more Black Sun Headhunters ^^

It takes time... i have been buying for over two years now, and loving it every month. Zeds are going to die, so I figure they may as well blow up BIG. Plus you have to be careful and run a soon to die Zed into a place it is going to take a few dogs to hel with it. Makes the game more fun.

Get up front you living bomb you!

@ biophysical

do you have some experiance facing brobots with your dual defender list?

Mostly in me vs me practice, of which I'm a little uneasy drawing a lot of conclusions from.  On paper, Brobots have all the advantages.  They have more hit points, a more accurate gun, the system slot, and Boost (with the associated mandatory Autothrusters).  They win the Range 3 matchup pretty hard because of Autothrusters, and that's typically the HLC Defender's favorite place to be.  The Defender has a few things going for it, though.  It has a small base, Barrel Roll, and the white K-turn.  In order to beat the bots, you need to maximize your advantages here.  This means getting asteroids in the middle of the board.  You want to try and attack the Brobots from the asteroids.  This will hopefully limit some of their turn-around moves (hell, any of their moves) and make engagements easier to manage.  If the Defenders can pop in and out of the asteroids with their K-turn, they can start getting an advantage over time.  

Regarding the list I mentioned upthread, the Ion Pulse Missile can be a useful tool, but hard to use.  Autothrusters make hitting at Range 3 tough, which leaves only Range 2 (or Range 3 if you have both TL/Focus).  I generally don't like to try it at any range unless they have no defensive tokens.  If it hits, it can be a game winner, because you can avoid shots in subsequent turns and usually concentrate fire pretty well at an ideal range.

I have one actual tournament game against Brobots, and I lost it.  It's one of those games you'd love to replay, because for some reason (I blame being stupid), I didn't follow my normal plan to set up asteroids in the middle.  I have no idea why.  Just a dumb brain lapse.  The rest of the game went okay, considering I was now facing Brobots on a mostly open field.  I got plenty of good shots at range 2 and 1, but couldn't get the damage to stick and was beat 100-0.  This game was against Kinetic Operator in the semi-finals of the Kansas City Regionals, so I don't feel to bad about the loss, but the initial asteroid deployment mistake has irked me ever since.  So don't do what I did.

Just won a smallish tourney (22 people) with the following:

I call it Delta Echo!

Delta, Ion

Delta, Ion

Echo, VI, Styg.

99 Points

I have been flying deltas with ION's for a while now, at range three you put one Ion on a large ship, then when it flies close to the edge you get it again.    I sent 3 large ships off the board with this.     Frankly echo just keeps moving backward, staying at range 3, with evades.    Keep taking 4 dice pot shots the whole game.

I took down two 4 TLT list with this and one brobots with the VI upgrade,   Ion's are just awesome for it.    

Went 4-1 my only loss was too a new tie swarm with the FO's and Vader.

Fun list, now sure what else I can do to make it better.   Sure it has some weakness, but at all costs you must keep Echo at range 3 always, by decloaking to the sides backwards when possible.

Edited by eagletsi111