Sign in to follow this  
TheMoonLord

Defender lovers unite

Col. Vessery w/ VI

Maarek Stele w/ VI +ATC + Mk II Ion Engines

2 x Epsilon Squadron w/ Weapons Guidance

I really like the foundation of this list! I'm going to have to fiddle around with my squad builder at lunch. Colzet and a pair of Zetas? Hmmm...

Let me know what you come up with. If I had 4 Epsilon, I'd just do that. I don't, though.

I thought of Colzet, but then looked at Maarek and realize I haven't used him in forever.

I like Weapons Guidance on lower PS pilots because they can use Focus each turn and use it for defense. If they get to keep it by the time they get to fire, they can become more reliable with WG.

A little lunch theory winging brought me to this:

TIE Defender: · Colonel Vessery (35)

Veteran Instincts (1)

Heavy Laser Cannon (7)

Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

TIE Advanced: · Lieutenant Colzet (23)

TIE/x1 (0)

Fire Control System (0)

TIE/fo Fighter: Zeta Squadron Pilot (16)

TIE/fo Fighter: Zeta Squadron Pilot (16)

Vessery gets his HLC, which he wants so bad, and both the Defender and Advanced get TIE mods. Bumping the FOs up to Zetas allow them to move with Colzet and shoot before the typical TLT carriers.

You could bump the FOs down to PS1 and take away Colzet's mod if you wanted Weapons Guidance.

Bump the Fo's to PS1 drop the mk2 on  Colzet Give him Acc Correctors, and an ADv Homing Missile. that way yuou can trigger his ability early game.

Fire Control allows you to keep his ability going all game while allowing him to survive long term with evades and focuses. FCS and Colzet are a perfect match.

Yeah FO Defender was an awesome idea.

But to address Biophysical:

The Defender should be a monster. /drops mic.

Seriously, that's my argument I really think it's all that needs to be said. If any ship deserves to be a god starfighter of death, it's the Defender.

Hey, I wasn't making a value judgement on my "Monster" description, it's just a description of what I think would happen.  I do think that FCS/VI/HLC Rex paired with Jammer/Lone Wolf/Stealth Device Vessery would give me warm fuzzies inside.  

First, Rex would have a positioning trump on everyone except VI Vader, which I'm pretty cool with.  

Second, FCS on Rex would help power his own ability, and it would power Vessery's ability at the same time, for no action cost, it would also make random Ion Pulse Missile shots easy to set up 

Third, Vessery would be a nightmare for TLTs, any big turret that relied on actions other than Focus, gunner-type builds, and any ships that had to get into a K-turn fight with him.  

Fire Control allows you to keep his ability going all game while allowing him to survive long term with evades and focuses. FCS and Colzet are a perfect match.

FCS and Colzet are not as constant damage as AC colzet. Use him as a blocker. You wont be using his Ability every turn, (especially not with the loadout that was there as you had no way of punching a crit through early.) Also two dice unmodified 100% of the time does no damage. (In my experience) its just too easy. At least this way he deals constant damage at a cost of an unimportant action.

Even with Adv Homing  you'll only see results like 1/3 the time. as some crits dont flip.

Trust me when i say that AC is better in the long game than FCS. Because what if your target (for colzets ability) is not in arc? Great take target lock, then waste damage potential with AC. PS3 is bad for keeping people in arc. Just TL (target) and AC the dude in arc. problem solved.

Random thing I was considering:

2x Onyx Squadron + HLC

1x Omega Squadron (TIE/FO) + Squad Leader + Experimental Interface

It's pretty similar to using Captain Jonus, but I feel like the TIE/FO might be more survivable, plus lets everything play a bit further apart.

What are people's thoughts on the Onyx vs Deltas anyways?  I've been meaning to try out the PS 3 pilots, but keep convincing myself that PS 1 (cheaper and ideally unblockable maneuvers) are better...

Hi! As a defender lover, I brought it to the Spanish nationals, and reached top 16 with it! (150 ppl attendance).

The list was the following:

Colonel vessery (35), HLC (7), Crack shot (1)

Omicron (21), FCS(2), Weapons engineer(3)

Night beast (15)

Dark Curse (16)

For a total of 100 points

I've been running the following list recently with great success:

Rexlar Brath

- PTL, TIE MKII

COL Vessery

- VI

Omega Ace

-PTL

Rexlar and Omega slap up target locks for vessery, who strips shields.  This allows rexlar and omega ace to throw in handfuls of crits.  Works great against 2-3 ship lists, but struggles a bit against swarms.  I find many people are more worried about Omega Ace than the two defenders, which suits me just fine due to his ability to run away while turtling.

I LOVE THE MIGHTY DEFENDER!

:wub:

IMP%252520TIE%252520DEF.png

I use two or four in many of my games. I will admit that here at Boss Central a Defender is more of the BAMF it should be because I have a few  Boss Shop upgrade and title cards for it that make it act like the beast that it is in the novels and suches...

Go Defenders... to your Dark Glory!

:D

IMP%252520TIE%252520DEF.png    

IMP%252520TIE%252520DEF.png         IMP%252520TIE%252520DEF.png

Yeah, Defenders galore! One of my all-time favorites is still Jonus Brothers:

2 x Deltas plus HLC

Captain Jonus in his Bomber granting two rerolls per HLC shot!

While this list is not flexible enough today in a 100pt dogfight, it still has an awesome damage output. For me, its an auto-include in 300p epic lists, works really nice alongside my Raider :-)

2 x Deltas plus HLC

While this list is not flexible enough today in a 100pt dogfight, it still has an awesome damage output. For me, its an auto-include in 300p epic lists, works really nice alongside my Raider :-)

There's only two ways you can play actual STAR WARS... let's be real now... you roll with X-WING EPIC... or... STAR WARS ARMADA.

I stopped poop'n with the 100 point thing, like three months in.

:lol:

The Defender is solely responsible for my leap into X-wing. I bought the original core set with the Defender as my first purchase. The ship is just too awesome.

I like using this list lately:

Col. Vessery T/D:

-VI

-HLC

-Mk.II

M. Stele T/Ad:

-PTL/Pred.

-Title

-ATC

-Mk.II

Lt. Colzet T/Ad:

-Title

-AC

View in yet another squad builder

99 Points

Once I purchase the new core set, I want to give this list a shot:

Col. Vessery T/D:

-VI

-HLC

-Mk.II

Co. Alozen T/Ad:

-Title

-ATC

ESP T/fo: x2

View in yet another squad builder

100 points

Hi! As a defender lover, I brought it to the Spanish nationals, and reached top 16 with it! (150 ppl attendance).

Night beast (15)

Dark Curse (16)

That's awesome.  Anything you thought was a particularly troublesome match-up, or were you pretty happy with the list's capabilities overall?

Night beast (15)

Dark Curse (16)

That's awesome. Anything you thought was a particularly troublesome match-up, or were you pretty happy with the list's capabilities overall?

Well, the list was intended to deal with the 2 ship meta, and it didn't disappoint me against that kind of lists (I will do a report in the future, when I have enough time). However, I was defeated in Swiss by a BBBBZ and, in top16 round, I faced what was probably my hardest counter: an obsidian mini-swarm with howlrunner and Whisper. The phantom was also carrying the rebel captive, so shooting at her with Vessery early was discarded; also, the obsidians shooting before the lambda was something to consider too.

On the other side, I managed to defeat in Swiss the Corran-Dash that reached the finals, so im happy with this list's performance.

EDIT: typos

Edited by Chetote

Colonel Vessery (35)

Twin ion engine Mk. II (1)

Lightning reflexes (1)

HLC (7)

Lieutenant Colzet (23)

TIE/x1 (0)

Accuracy Corrector (0)

Omicron Group Pilot (21)

Engine Upgrade (4)

ST-321 (3)

Fire Control System (2)

Weapons Engineer (3)

100 Total Points

I'll also sometimes substitute Weapons Engineer out for Darth Vadar

I love the Defender. Apart from the Gunboat, it was my favorite ship in Defender of the Empire. I think if the designers at FFG should have played TF:DotE before they designed the Defender, we might have gotten a more useful ship. 

Night beast (15)

Dark Curse (16)

That's awesome. Anything you thought was a particularly troublesome match-up, or were you pretty happy with the list's capabilities overall?

Well, the list was intended to deal with the 2 ship meta, and it didn't disappoint me against that kind of lists (I will do a report in the future, when I have enough time). However, I was defeated in Swiss by a BBBBZ and, in top16 round, I faced what was probably my hardest counter: an obsidian mini-swarm with howlrunner and Whisper. The phantom was also carrying the rebel captive, so shooting at her with Vessery early was discarded; also, the obsidians shooting before the lambda was something to consider too.

On the other side, I managed to defeat in Swiss the Corran-Dash that reached the finals, so im happy with this list's performance.

EDIT: typos

Very cool.  Do you think you'll play a list like this again?  If so, in your play testing try freeing up a point to get Lone Wolf on Vessery.  It's currently my favorite upgrade for him.  It really helps against massed fire like that from both the Obsidian Swarm and the BBBBZ.  It's also a nice bonus when you can't activate his ability because the support ship is dead, which I imagine sometimes happens to you.  PS8 is great, though, I it's probably a meta-dependent decision, anyway.

I love the Defender. Apart from the Gunboat, it was my favorite ship in Defender of the Empire. I think if the designers at FFG should have played TF:DotE before they designed the Defender, we might have gotten a more useful ship. 

The Defender isn't useless. Its just 'special' and overpriced. The white K-turn can be awesome. But this makes the ship so expensive that it seldom pays off - because its too situational.

They should have designed it as a 3-3-3-4 ship or a 3-3-3-3 with boost for the same costs. At least the Onyx pilots should have gotten an EPT slot.

But even if you have played the TF games back then ... or maybe just BECAUSE you have played the games back then, as a game designer you might consider to not to overpower the Defender for X-Wing and rather underpower it a bit. Because an underpowered ship might not be used in the worst case - but an overpovered ship can destroy the whole game.

Edited by TheRealStarkiller

The Defender is solely responsible for my leap into X-wing. I bought the original core set with the Defender as my first purchase. The ship is just too awesome.

I bought the Defender without the Core Set, just cause I liked the model.  :P

I didn't get the rest of the game until months later.

Rexler Brath (37)

Push the Limit (3)

Heavy Laser Cannon (7)

Juno Eclipse (28)

Lone Wolf (2)

TIE X1 (-4)

Advanced Targeting Computer (5)

Tempest Squadron Pilot (21)

TIE X1 (-3)

Accuracy Corrector (3)

2 x Deltas plus HLC

There's only two ways you can play actual STAR WARS... let's be real now... you roll with X-WING EPIC... or... STAR WARS ARMADA.

I stopped poop'n with the 100 point thing, like three months in.

:lol:

Rexlar in epic is an absolute beast.

Double teaming him with ptl and a hlc and the raider (comms team or Tarkin) and it's just brutal.

Sadly it's the only way I have found to reliably trigger his ability.