Sign in to follow this  
TheMoonLord

Defender lovers unite

I've used FO's with Col V and loved it.  I think they would also work with Rex.  Either that or the Obsidians work. 

Thanks!

I agree.  Not only can FOs TL, but they are a little more durable.  Those 2 S-loops help them to keep up with the Defender's raw jousting abilities as well.  I think this relationship will only continue to strengthen as more Tech is released.

Hmm, never thought of that aspect of using Rhymer and Vess. Jonus does have a nice fit though.

Well back to the squadron builder! Lol

Outmaneuver on a Defender just seems too good to pass up once you get behind someone with that free k-turn.

Interestingly, FOs can kind of "save up" for action-less rounds. They can bank a target lock, and they will be able to bank an Evade with Comm Relay. It's a really intriguing ship. Cheap, but really maneuverable, with stats and actions that feel more like a small "medium" fighter than a throwaway blocker.

The FO talk is making me think about playing with this:

Rexler Brath (37)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

Soontir Fel (27)
Push the Limit (3)
Stealth Device (3)
Autothrusters (2)
Royal Guard TIE (0)

"Epsilon Leader" (19)

Total: 100

E Leader clears Soontir's stress at the start of combat from PTL meaning Soontir's not limited to green maneuvers the turn after using PTL.

The FO talk is making me think about playing with this:

Rexler Brath (37)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)

Soontir Fel (27)
Push the Limit (3)
Stealth Device (3)
Autothrusters (2)
Royal Guard TIE (0)

"Epsilon Leader" (19)

Total: 100

E Leader clears Soontir's stress at the start of combat from PTL meaning Soontir's not limited to green maneuvers the turn after using PTL.

I don't think you'll want Soontir flying near other ships.   

If you are looking at pairing FOs with a defender, I think Vessery is your guy.  I like Brath but think that Vessery w/HLC, Lone Wolf, and HLC with 3 Omegas with Crack Shot (or whatever other variation you choose) can work well.

Can you build a decent named Defender list with HLC that has more than 3 ships in it?

It would be a miniswarm probably, Rexlar+LW+HLC and then Howl and 3 Academies comes out to 100 Vessery would let you shave some points for upgrades to Howl or bump the PS on the TIEs up

It Would probably fly like the old Firespray+Miniswarm lists except instead of a rear arc you have the white K-turn

Sounds like a good list, but I'll have to dump Howlrunner for something else.  She's wasted points.

I wouldn't necessarily say that, she would give the APs rerolls, and some players might still have the Howlrunner must Die first (when surrounded by TIEs) that it takes fire off of Rexlar, but of course use whatever works for you.

Ran this a little while back in a 3 way game and took out 4 ships with Rexlaer Barth before he got ganged up on and destroyed

Rexler Brath (37)

Cluster Missiles (4)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Predator (3)

Whisper (32)
Sensor Jammer (4)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Gunner (5)
Advanced Cloaking Device (4)

98 Points

It was a really fun list to play

Took Vessery and Brath out tonight against Wedge, Poe and Biggs. They were magnificent.

By the end it was Wedge with one hull against both Defenders. And after he killed Vessery I had Brath set to K-turn onto his 6. If not for a pair of pesky asteroids (Yes, I hit both) I'd have killed him right back. :)

I tried brath for the first time last night during a 3v3 game. 600 points a side, it was insane! But he performed very well, the flank he was on had a lot of ships with a bunch of hull points. He brought the pain to dash and han. Definitely going to be using this ship more, that white k turn is really great, especially when hunting large ships.

Its seems that most people prefer or even think Vessery is better than Brath...

Am I missing something as I think Brath's ability is way better than Vessery's 

Anyone care to explain to me what I'm missing?

Its seems that most people prefer or even think Vessery is better than Brath...

Am I missing something as I think Brath's ability is way better than Vessery's 

Anyone care to explain to me what I'm missing?

Before the mk.ii engine getting braths ability off was rare, but to get vessery working you just need a pal to TL which is much easier.

Now Rexler can use PTL that'll change.

Any new best builds with a Defender? 

I used this once, it was okay for casual games.  Damage is pretty ok if you keep Rexler next to Howl

Rexler VI HLC tie2

Howl

3AP

Ahh, ****, forgot Howl only for primary.  Scratch that.  This build sucks on paper.  

Edited by Blail Blerg

Dusted off an old list at league last night that I used to use on Vassal a lot

Rexlar-Pred

Soontir-PTL

Carnor Jax-PTL (yes I dared run no Autothrusters)

First game was against Roark with TLT+Jan, Jake-PTL, Proton Rockets, Swarm Tactics, Nera-APTs, Extra Munis, PTL, c3po  we called it after Roark and Nera went down (Nera still had both barrels loaded)

Second Game was against Keyan+Stay on target, gunner and FCS and Han+marks, dash, gunner, falcon title  game ended with Jax and Keyan at r1 of each other both with shots and Jax finishing him off first

Defenders still have amazing potential for arc dodging even with just BR as long as you go for a high enough PS