Sign in to follow this  
TheMoonLord

Defender lovers unite

It isn't super competitive without access to Autothrusters or the Evade action but I love my Defenders.

I call it the Tallon Split

Rexler Brath (37)

Push the Limit (3)

Heavy Laser Cannon (7)

Advanced Homing Missile (3)

Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

Colonel Vessery (35)

Veteran Instincts (1)

Heavy Laser Cannon (7)

Cluster Missiles (4)

Total: 99

I flew this in the last tournament I played.  It was a lot of fun!  Rex w/ Ion Cannon is really useful as you can negate the extra green dice at range 3 and possibly stick an ion token on someone, then K-turn behind them and open up with your primary.  You can also use his ability to flip the damage from the Ion Cannon if they don't have any shields.

The Howl mini-swarm helps take some fire off Rex and can really put a hurt on low-agility targets.

Rexler Brath (37)
Predator (3)
Ion Cannon (3)

"Howlrunner" (18)

Obsidian Squadron Pilot (13)

Total: 100

Col. Vessery  - Engine Upgrade + Crack Shot
Zeta ace + Wingman
2 Alpha's with autothrusters.

Also

Delta
Sigma + ACD + Intel agent
Tempest + X1 + Proton Rockets + Accuracy corrector
Nightbeast+MKII

Edited by Ravncat

I flew this in the last tournament I played.  It was a lot of fun!  Rex w/ Ion Cannon is really useful as you can negate the extra green dice at range 3 and possibly stick an ion token on someone, then K-turn behind them and open up with your primary.  You can also use his ability to flip the damage from the Ion Cannon if they don't have any shields.

The Howl mini-swarm helps take some fire off Rex and can really put a hurt on low-agility targets.

Rexler Brath (37)
Predator (3)
Ion Cannon (3)

"Howlrunner" (18)

Ill try that!

I fell in love with the defender since I first flew it. Odd because I had no hankering to fly one or any kind of emontional attachment to the ship.

I had pretty good success last tourney season flying

Vess

VI

HLC

omicron group

Adv Sen

Vader

Dark Curse

TC

Academy pilot.

I did reasonably well. A 2nd and a 3rd at store champs and 24th and 17th at two regionals. Not bad for my first year. Not a single other defender at any of those events tho it saddens me to say :(

I've not had the confidence to fly dual defenders yet but Biophysical is slowly convincing me!

Rexler Brath, HLC, Predator, Hull Upgrade, Ion Pulse Missile = 53

Colonel Vessery, HLC, Lone Wolf, Stealth Device = 47

This list (with minor variations) was retired locally after winning 4-5 local tournaments.  It got me second in a Store Championship and top 4 in Regionals play.  

I want 2 more TIE /FO's so I can run Col. Vessery and 4 generic TIE /FO's.  

I haven't played my Defender in a bit, but I love the ship.  Need to come up with a list that uses my 2 TIE /FO's.  

Brath

PTL

HLC

Mk2

Omega Ace

PTL

Comms Relay

Omega Leader

Juke

Comms Relay

I like that one.  Omega Leader strips shields.  If Rex doesn't punch through with that help, Omega Ace can pile on crits batting clean-up.  Rex might have trouble staying alive, though.  The other two ships aren't quite punchy enough to really scare people once Rex is dead.

I happen to love the Col, with his 7 secret herbs and spices.  I want the FO's to give out the TL love and him to bask in it.  I was just messing around and came up with:

Col. Vessery w/ VI

Maarek Stele w/ VI +ATC + Mk II Ion Engines

2 x Epsilon Squadron w/ Weapons Guidance

The cheap FO's give out the TL and then Focus every turn.  Use it for defense if they need it, but then turn it to offense for when they shoot last.  

I thought about going with regular Tie Fighters instead of Maarek, but I haven't used him since trying back in Wave 1.

This list (with minor variations) was retired locally after winning 4-5 local tournaments.  It got me second in a Store Championship and top 4 in Regionals play.  

I'm interested in running something like this -- what would be your flying strategy, from opening to engagement time?

I assume you're keeping the Defenders far apart, or far enough to keep a steady Lone Wolf going on Vessery. Why the HU on Rexler, as opposed to another Stealth Device? Or swapping Predator with another Lone Wolf (since they're going to be apart anyways), and then bumping the HU to SU?

This list really appeals to me.

used to run two Defenders with gusto

Soontir (ptl, royal guard tie, thrusters, stealth)

2 Deltas (Flechette)

[99]

If I'm going back, it's going to be for Vessery's stupidly potent HLC + Crackshot

you'll put a hole in anything, just about guaranteed

Edited by ficklegreendice

I'm interested in running something like this -- what would be your flying strategy, from opening to engagement time?

I assume you're keeping the Defenders far apart, or far enough to keep a steady Lone Wolf going on Vessery. Why the HU on Rexler, as opposed to another Stealth Device? Or swapping Predator with another Lone Wolf (since they're going to be apart anyways), and then bumping the HU to SU?

This list really appeals to me.

Lone wolf is Unique

I like that one.  Omega Leader strips shields.  If Rex doesn't punch through with that help, Omega Ace can pile on crits batting clean-up.  Rex might have trouble staying alive, though.  The other two ships aren't quite punchy enough to really scare people once Rex is dead.

what leader lacks in punch makes up for in surviving to punch again later. unmodified dice are the most unreliable.

Why Weapon Guidance instead of more goodness on Vessery?

I almost feel he doesn't need it.  If he's got the TL from someone else then he gets re-rolls.  Putting on a Mangler Cannon is OK, but with his 3 attack dice, it's almost not worth it.  The Defender works as is without having to load it with too much.  I'm not sure what else I would put on him for 4 pts, to be honest.   Maybe an extra hull or shield?  

I also want to make all the ships dangerous.  I don't want to make one ship the obvious target.  Give everyone a little something extra and it should help spread the damage around.  That is in taking it and dishing it out.  I don't want to become too dependant on one ship and see it focused down too early.  

The Weapons Guidance is also new toys that I haven't used yet.  I do want to try them.

Edited by heychadwick

I really like:

Tempest Squadron Pilot (21)
Accuracy Corrector (0)
TIE/x1 (0)

Accuracy Corrector (0)
TIE/x1 (0)

Accuracy Corrector (0)
TIE/x1 (0)

Colonel Vessery (35)
Crack Shot (1)

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

I don't know if its my favorite, but its really solid. The Tempests throw out consistent damage and can be quite tanky, while Vessery is free to roam and hunt.

I've had fair success with

Rexler, HLC, Twin Ion MK II, Lonewolf

Howlrunner, Hull

Night Beast, Twin Ion MK II

Dark Curse

I was actually surprised that it works given all the negative talk about the Defender's overcostedness.  I also find that I'm not using the Twin Ion at all.  I'm getting by on 3 turns, 1 banks, 4 or 5 straights and the K turn.  I was thinking about dropping it, but as soon as I do I'll come up against a stressbot or something.

I really like:

Accuracy Corrector (0)

TIE/x1 (0)

Accuracy Corrector (0)

TIE/x1 (0)

Accuracy Corrector (0)

TIE/x1 (0)

Colonel Vessery (35)

Crack Shot (1)

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

I don't know if its my favorite, but its really solid. The Tempests throw out consistent damage and can be quite tanky, while Vessery is free to roam and hunt.

I like this one.

Maybe I'd throw VI in or even Calculation...

until we know what Tractor Beam does.