Sign in to follow this  
Jut

Ackbar and 8 Vetts'?

I am sure this has been at least talked about, but I couldn't seem to find any threads on this specifically, sorry if I did miss it. 

CR90-A x 8, 1 of them to fly Ackbar out of Harm's Way and that sits you at 390 pts. 

Opening Salvo (for the LOLZ!); Fleet Ambush and Superior Positions. 

Now, I only have 4 Vetts, but would a list like this even stand a chance?  Or are you at "bumper cars" with your own Vetts on turn 3 and 4 as the inevitable Pincer Move has closed?

I think it would be "fun" to at least try it, not sure how it would do. 

What do you all think?

Ya, I am thinking mostly vs. Imps.  Sure they shoot down 2 to 3 as you come in, but then you park the other 5-6 in their back end and fire away!!! 

I think you could pull that off against Rebels too. 

Who knows?  Could be fun to run though!!! 

Or an ISD w/ gunnery team. Your Corvettes cant repel firepower of that magnitude!

Actually they can. At long range, the ISD effectively has 3 Red dice. (Evade, and each die of accuracy canceling one is fine with them) The ISD dies in 2 shots. (barring incredible luck.) I feel that it needs to be 6 with EA instead.)  (Otherwise my upgraded ISD is untouchable by the corvettes at long range.)

The issue with that is that multiple CR90s will need to be in medium range in order to get all your guns pointed at the ISD. 4 Reds and 4 Blues should be enough to end two corvettes a turn.

This also assumes all corvettes in range every turn.

So with a single red side shot per ship plus ackbar it becomes 3 red per ship so a total of 24 red per round if each ship only has 1 side arc. Toss in turbo laser reroute and you make sure you either get a crit or double hit. Course if they have a three ship fleet the could knock out atleast 3 ships per turn.

What about something like this thoughts?

(390 of 400 pts)

Flagship: (94 pts)

• CR90 Corvette A(44 pts)
  • Admiral Ackbar (38 pts)
  • Jaina's Light (2 pts)
  • Enhanced Armament (10 pts)

Fleet Ship: (54 pts) x5

• CR90 Corvette A(44 pts)
  • Enhanced Armament (10 pts)

• 1x Millennium Falcon - Han Solo (26 pts)
Edited by Hxhexen

Or try this.

Fleet Cost : 397

Flagship: (91 pts)

CR90 Corvette A(44 pts)

Admiral Ackbar (38 pts)

Jaina's Light (2 pts)

Turbolaser Reroute Circuits (7 pts)

Fleet Ship x6: (51 pts)

CR90 Corvette A(44 pts)

Turbolaser Reroute Circuits (7 pts)

Gives you extra CR90 and use Evades to give blanks 2 damage

Edited by Jimble

I don't know if I'd run Reroutes on those CR90s; I'd use Slaved Turbolasers.  Odds are good you're only shooting out of one side, so that's a 4th die on each shot.  Also means that if you do get stuck with a forward-arc shot, it's 3 dice as well.  

Its truly sad that this game feels like its spiraling towards a who can throw the most dice game instead of tactics and maneuvering.  I get that part of the game is constructing the fleets but if I wanted to just throw dice without any skill I would play Star Trek Attack Wing.  Am I off base here or do others feel the same way?

Firepower matters, but if you can't bring that firepower to bear, then it doesn't do you any good.  The advantage to an 8 Corvette list isn't just the number of dice you can throw, it's about being able to put ships where you need them, when you need to.

This list would have a hard time with a big ship running Advanced Gunnery/Gunnery Teams, or any bomber-intensive build.  

Its truly sad that this game feels like its spiraling towards a who can throw the most dice game instead of tactics and maneuvering. I get that part of the game is constructing the fleets but if I wanted to just throw dice without any skill I would play Star Trek Attack Wing. Am I off base here or do others feel the same way?

Considering Akbar stresses side arcs; yes you're off base

You beat him via positioning, especially given how worthless the Mon cals and fatties are in the front for the points they pay

And then the cr90s. They live and DIE based on positioning because they're easily destroyed

Akbar doesn't change that; he isn't even that great with them. The amount of dice you get with akbar is THE SAME as a double arc (one more blue from double arc) . good positioning literally does the same as a 38 point commander

Edited by ficklegreendice

Its truly sad that this game feels like its spiraling towards a who can throw the most dice game instead of tactics and maneuvering.  I get that part of the game is constructing the fleets but if I wanted to just throw dice without any skill I would play Star Trek Attack Wing.  Am I off base here or do others feel the same way?

What gets discussed on the forums can be very polarising.

People are throwning out ideas to get opinion or guidance on fleets, not what they would actually use

There is also a difference between builds for tournaments and friendly play.

I haven't had the chance to play in a tournament.

When playing against friends, I design different fleet each time. Different Admiral, amount of squadrons (0 to loads), few big ships to just small. etc.

I haven't played Star Trek Attack Wing, but I find tactics and maneuvering is still very important in this game.

This build has fire power, but the ships need planning not to get blown out of the stars.

Edited by Jimble

What gets discussed on the forums can be very polarising.

People are throwning out ideas to get opinion or guidance on fleets, not what they would actually use

There is also a difference between builds for tournaments and friendly play.

I haven't had the chance to play in a tournament.

When playing against friends, I design different fleet each time. Different Admiral, amount of squadrons (0 to loads), few big ships to just small. etc.

I haven't played Star Trek Attack Wing, but I find tactics and maneuvering is still very important in this game.

This build has fire power, but the ships need planning not to get blown out of the stars.

I dont disagree with you but I play a lot and even though I may not play a build like this or others that maximize dice they are very viable and I can easily seem them take the forefront in the new meta...but as you say we will have to see.  I just dont want this game to devolve into just throwing fist fulls of dice.

Edited by Overdawg

I feel like that with Dominator.  I ran Dominator and Warlord at Sullust and just chose engineering commands every single turn with Tarkin to support.  I felt like I was just pushing models forward and rolling dice, and enemy ships evaporated.

It depends on how you want to play.  If I take fighters, Rhymer, Demolisher and a VSD then I have to be a lot more careful with my positioning.  Two VSDs upgraded to the teeth, I just push them forward and hope I blow my opponent out of the stars.

I feel like that with Dominator.  I ran Dominator and Warlord at Sullust and just chose engineering commands every single turn with Tarkin to support.  I felt like I was just pushing models forward and rolling dice, and enemy ships evaporated.

It depends on how you want to play.  If I take fighters, Rhymer, Demolisher and a VSD then I have to be a lot more careful with my positioning.  Two VSDs upgraded to the teeth, I just push them forward and hope I blow my opponent out of the stars.

I have a similar plan for my scheduled 400 point friendly coming up.  I have access to a friend's imperials, and he is borrowing my rebels.  I am going to take this:

Vic 1, expanded launchers, Tarkin

Vic 2, Warlord, XI7 Turbolasers

Vic 2, Dominator, XI7 Turbolasers

GSD, Demolisher, ACM

(399 points)

Only issue navigate commands, and use Tarkin to hand out engineering tokens to regenerate 1 shield on each ship per turn. Simplistic beatdown list FTW.

Edited by D503

May want to consider the use of Engine Techs to open up the option of ramming. Though you may just want to fling these around and have your opponent chase them down or use your orders to add a few dice here and there as well. 

When theory-crafting you have to use concepts that are measurable. How many dice can I roll is one that is easy enough to use for the discussion. You also tend to apply past experience in here and think about how that implies itself on the fleet design. I think if the Corvettes can keep their opponents at long range then the evades will allow this list to be successful up to the point that your opponent may bring Turbolaser Reroute Circuits and just start shutting down the evades.

Of course at some point the discussion should extend towards the practical, you have to play the idea and put the strategy and tactics together.

Akbar doesn't change that; he isn't even that great with them. The amount of dice you get with akbar is THE SAME as a double arc (one more blue from double arc) . good positioning literally does the same as a 38 point commander

Except that good positioning without Ackbar will have that line between by front and port arcs for example pointed at my target, which then on the following turn can have a big impact on my choices. Ackbar lets me turn about 90 degrees from that direction and lets me track my target without getting too close.

I also think that if you are patient your opponent may spread out to try and catch you, at which time if you thread the needle you can pull off an Ackbar Slash.

The only issue I see here is that while a corvette swarm with ackbar would be effective against a singe large ship like the ISD, once you start dealing with multiple star destroyers it is hard to stay out of the dangerous arcs. That list against an ISD and two victories would be hard pressed to not lose one or two corvettes each turn from concentrate fire commands. Add Motti and engineering teams into the mix and the star destroyers might be able to tank the damage!

Everything has a counter. It is just figuring out what it is, and losing until you do.