Sign in to follow this  
Daeglan

Wow...10 weeks...

I get the distinct impression from customer service that something more than port issues got Effed up with Strongholds.  

I'll be curious how much content they push out.  Maybe they've put out two books in one month, I honestly don't remember, but they've obviously got some stuff piled up on the boat(s)...

I get the distinct impression from customer service that something more than port issues got Effed up with Strongholds.  

I'll be curious how much content they push out.  Maybe they've put out two books in one month, I honestly don't remember, but they've obviously got some stuff piled up on the boat(s)...

They had two books release nearly simultaneously previously. I remember, because I bought one right away and held off on the other. I couldn't tell you what they were though.

Mask of the Pirate queen probably won't be shipping for another 4-6 weeks, at the current rate. 2 weeks until shipping isn't out of the realm of possibilities though.

Strongholds of Resistance should be next, judging by dates.

Edited by rowdyoctopus

Mask of the Pirate queen probably won't be shipping for another 4-6 weeks, at the current rate. 2 weeks until shipping isn't out of the realm of possibilities though.

Strongholds of Resistance should be next, judging by dates.

Always in motion release dates are.

This is really easy, actually. Look at the upcoming page. It tells you when things were put "On the Boat".

Using that date, it is pretty easy to figure out when something will be at the stores. Aside from weird outliers, everything pretty much spends 6-8 weeks on the boat normally. Lately that has been a bit longer, going 10-12.

Do I know the release date for anything? No. I know when FFG put it on the boat and after watching products in the boat for 2 years, I can tell you with fair certainty that 9 out of 10 times, the product will fit the pattern. That pattern is just a little extended right now. Who knows when/if it will go back to normal.

Printing costs in China are now literally the same as many (if not most) areas of North America. It's baffling that companies like FFG - they're not alone in this so don't think I'm picking on them - enjoy dealing with supply-chain risks and trans-ocean shipping fees in 2015.

During the process of off-shoring all those jobs to China, a lot of the people who used to be able to do that work here in US have since retired or moved on to other things. So, that workforce with those skills just isn’t available here anymore. You just can’t get the quality of production here in the US that you can get in China.

That’s why Apple will never move any of the phone manufacturing jobs back from China to the US, even though effective labor prices have relatively stabilized.

However, I don’t know if printing is the same way.

I do know a number of companies in China own massive amounts of properties, promotional companies, and other assets, and for whom the sole purpose of existence is to drive more work to the factories in China.

So, even if they could move that work back here to the US, the parent companies in China would never allow it.

Printing costs in China are now literally the same as many (if not most) areas of North America. It's baffling that companies like FFG - they're not alone in this so don't think I'm picking on them - enjoy dealing with supply-chain risks and trans-ocean shipping fees in 2015.

During the process of off-shoring all those jobs to China, a lot of the people who used to be able to do that work here in US have since retired or moved on to other things. So, that workforce with those skills just isn’t available here anymore. You just can’t get the quality of production here in the US that you can get in China.

That’s why Apple will never move any of the phone manufacturing jobs back from China to the US, even though effective labor prices have relatively stabilized.

I do know a number of companies in China own massive amounts of properties, promotional companies, and other assets, and for whom the sole purpose of existence is to drive more work to the factories in China.

So, even if they could move that work back here to the US, the parent companies in China would never allow it.

China is also not allowing exports of raw rare earth metals which are needed to make a lot of the processors and other chips to go into things like iPhones. The US shutdown all the various mines that it used to have due to environmental complaints (the largest mine in the US for rare earth metals is in California). So, that puts a crimp on some places wanting to build stuff elsewhere.

It's not. Printing is considered a service industry, not manufacturing. Ink and paper costs are such a low barrier to entry that it's actually pretty easy to start up a successful print shop in the US and Canada. Printing went overseas because China was paying its workers such low wages that North American printers couldn't compete. That's not the case anymore.

I'm a graphic designer by trade and I'm looped into the goings-on in this industry.

I suspect that next week we'll see what's new for EotE. Last week we got the new book for AoR for 1Q 2015 and today we got the F&D one sooooo I imagine next week we'll see if we're getting a Career book or another location book. 

I suspect that next week we'll see what's new for EotE. Last week we got the new book for AoR for 1Q 2015 and today we got the F&D one sooooo I imagine next week we'll see if we're getting a Career book or another location book. 

Both lines also just had a book ship to stores.  We might end up waiting until Mask of the Pirate Queen ships.

We're getting Gungans before we get a bounty hunter book. Gungans. I just.. Man.

I'm pretty confident the BH is likely in play testing and will be announced at some point in the not to distant future. Splatbooks intro new specs so they likely get a more thorough testing.  Sourcebooks and adventures are mostly fluff, some gear, a race or two, but not a lot rule wise. 

Fine. I'll just keep playing 5e while I wait and pretend this whole Gungan thing was a bad dream. But it does lend some credence to the Darth Jar Jar theory that's ravaged the fandom the past few days.

Edited by sonovabith

Separate line, I'd say it doesn't count. Force and Destiny has definitely put a more emphasis on prequel races, why are you surprised that a Force and Destiny book is getting Gungans before a BH book?