Sign in to follow this  
l3afonthewind

Lord of the Rings LCG memes

Cool initiative, some of them are pretty funny. But I am bothered by every single one with a female character just being a sexist joke. You could make great memes with Galadriel and Idraen without being derogatory.

Cool initiative, some of them are pretty funny. But I am bothered by every single one with a female character just being a sexist joke. You could make great memes with Galadriel and Idraen without being derogatory.

I noticed that too, actually. Quite off-putting. :(

Not to argue for sexist jokes, but I argue that the ones you're referring to (if I'm thinking of the right ones) are actually using the first line setup to subvert expectation of a sexist joke, only to instead deliver an anti-joke. Which actually highlights how the female characters in question are awesome. 

That was my interpretation, anyway. 

Edited by l3afonthewind

Not to argue for sexist jokes, but I argue that the ones you're referring to (if I'm thinking of the right ones) are actually using the first line setup to subvert expectation of a sexist joke, only to instead deliver an anti-joke. Which actually highlights how the female characters in question are awesome. 

That was my interpretation, anyway. 

The subversion in question does not even serve a comedic purpose. It's nothing but off-putting and immature. If there were only one or two instances I wouldn't bother, but right now all 8 woman character cards I've seen in there have fallen victim to it. If the characters are "awesome" in the first place, why the need to make it all about gender and sexuality?

I wonder how confused the COTR guys must be at this. First the forums were supposed to be full of trolls and now it's full of SJWs.

Eh, not that confused. I've been internetting for too long. That said, I'll take a SJW over a troll any day, even if I happen to disagree. At least the intention is pure. 

It's beyond me how anyone can disagree with speaking out against blatant sexism. I'm confused the content hasn't been taken down yet.

edit: I'm non-native and had to google the meaning of "SJW". I find it sad that such a well-known podcast resorts to name-calling when they can't defend an argument.

Edited by Olorin93

It's beyond me how anyone can disagree with speaking out against blatant sexism. I'm confused the content hasn't been taken down yet.

edit: I'm non-native and had to google the meaning of "SJW". I find it sad that such a well-known podcast resorts to name-calling when they can't defend an argument.

OK, so this is my last piece on this particular topic, since I don't sense an amenable resolution imminent, it's probably best to just agree to disagree. That said:

1) I called no names. I said I'd take a Social Justice Warrior over a troll. (As an aside, I looked up the top few definitions for SJW as well, so I could see if we were on the same page, turns out the Internet's accepted definition is harsher than I had understood it to be)

2) I did defend my point, though. Fairly eloquently, I thought. I explained why I feel the jokes being made were not blatantly sexist. If you didn't find the argument to be sufficient, that's your prerogative.

3) You are totally allowed to disagree with me. I'm fine with that. Hopefully you can live with my disagreeing with you. Let's not get too wrapped up in this. They're not even my jokes.

I wish you a genuine good day and hope we can move on to funny jokes about the game we play, which was the intent of my creating this thread. Hopefully not everyone is scared off.

I think it is a parody of sexist jokes.

It ridicules the reader's automatic expectation of being served some "filth". If anything, I would say it is a statement against sexism.

It's not in any way a parody of sexist jokes. The "anti-joke" idea is a crude excuse to normalise a warped view of women.

L3afonthewind:

1) You did not reject the term when quoting Gizlivadi, which you should explicitly have if you did not agree with the sentiment.

2 and 3) You have not provided any kind of explanation as to why you leave this content up online when all the female characters have fallen victims to this. It's not a matter of agreeing or disagreeing - the memes promote objectification and ridicule of women. Bad humor is not an excuse for bigotry. My fiancées only reaction when I showed her the pictures was "this kind of jokes only confirms my stereotypes of the average male boardgamer".

I'm done with this thread too, and I'm certainly done with your Facebook page.

edit: for reference, I thought I would add that I'm about as conservative as it gets according to my country's standards and unlike most I'm not a feminist. If you ever travel to Northern Europe with this kind of gender perspective, good luck...

Edited by Olorin93

It ridicules the reader's automatic expectation of being served some "filth". If anything, I would say it is a statement against sexism.

I'm done with this thread too, and I'm certainly done with your Facebook page.

Sad to see you go, man. Sorry we couldn't reach consensus.  

I guess Ill give my opinion on the subject, not that it really matters.

I can totally see how these jokes are subjective. I get the idea behind the fakeout and punchline, and how it could potentially be seen as empowering or dignifying. However, and I hate to jump on the SJW bandwagon, but I just have to agree that these feel very off-putting. Even if the point is not to deliver on a sexist joke, just putting the caption "I give the best head" on an image of Galadriel feels objectifying. Much like the successful black man meme, the fact that it recognizes what would be offensive and suggests at it, even if not delivering on it, feels rather offensive.

It's like one of those recent Family Guy jokes, where they hint or show something shocking and terrible and then go "It's funny because it's offensive" and expect us to laugh. To me, it only leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Oh, I don't think anyone argues for good taste of those memes. 

But I do get your point. In a way this seems somehow like "Borat" (it is silly enough to compare, I guess). Some see it as ridicule of Kazachstan folk. Others think it is a satire on the perception the Western people have of Eastern Europeans/Slav/Post-Soviet cultures.

But you were supposed to be furious about it, because it was insulting and political correctness and stuff......

sg10r.jpg

And you'll feel extra bad losing:

sg141.jpg

sg1au.jpg

Seriously, even Thorin's company had an extra Hobbit and Wizard:

sg1f7.jpg

Me when I thought Leadership's 'thing' was putting lot's of cheap allies into play and buffing them. Based off the cards in the core box:

sg1tj.jpg

My wins half the time:

sg2fl.jpg

sg2o6.jpg