Sign in to follow this  
OgRib

Wave 2 is much more lethal

ISD is just impossible to kill in a normal 6turn game without some insane dice luck.

My friend and i played a game afterwords and it took a frigate, cr90, 3 xwings, 2awings, and 2 ywings SEVEN TURNS to kill it lol. I was in his rear arc most of it because i took out his VSD first. No fighters to slow me down either because i completely owned them earlier.

I dont see that thing dying in a normal 6turn game. I just dont see it. It doesnt need to do anything other than spam Engineering which lets it repair 3 shields a turn (1 due to a card to just gain a shield a turn), and it blocks soooo much damage with that lol.

ISD is just impossible to kill in a normal 6turn game without some insane dice luck.

My friend and i played a game afterwords and it took a frigate, cr90, 3 xwings, 2awings, and 2 ywings SEVEN TURNS to kill it lol. I was in his rear arc most of it because i took out his VSD first. No fighters to slow me down either because i completely owned them earlier.

I dont see that thing dying in a normal 6turn game. I just dont see it. It doesnt need to do anything other than spam Engineering which lets it repair 3 shields a turn (1 due to a card to just gain a shield a turn), and it blocks soooo much damage with that lol.

oh, so

"just impossible to kill when not firing any real dedicated anti-ship tech"

I too bore witness to Akbar drowning an ISD in red dice, with a little help from a friendly AFmk2. Home One and H9 (on home one; doesn't work on itself) brought it down right quick. Yavaris Bs should also not have much issue.

I played in the final round at my local store with a rebel fleet. I had been running an imperial list but came in second with points and the other player chose to fly Imperials in the final match.

My Advanced Gunnery Ackbar boosted MC80 shredded the ISD from range with some modest support from a torpedo frigate and an AF Mk II B. Honestly I think the MC80 may be the real breakout success of this wave. It has great broadsides and they're just so big it's easy to get a target in them.

The other forgotten attribute of the MC80 is that it basically makes Advanced Gunnery into a "do not take this under any circumstances" objective.

I think if you can pair that with Fire Lanes (given rebel long-range dominance) and find yourself a good blue objective, you have a list that actually wants to go second.

well I watched it happen..... Lets not knee jerk

Glad to see the MC80 is defying the initial negativity!

I think it may well be like the Assault frigate vs the VSD.

Sure, per dice of damage, the VSD is "better" because of its front dice loadout. But the VSD has to work very hard to make any use of these compared to the assault frigate that can reliably put its best arcs on target. I think denying the mon cal gunnery teams was a deliberate game balance move by the designers.

Sure the Imperial has a better front arc, but given the relative arcs, I suspect the Mon cal will usually get first shot, and should take down most of the ISDs shields in that first volley. Meanwhile the Imperial still has to close for a turn (receiving a second volley) before it can bring its main guns into play.

I think you had to decide early in the game if you're going to make the ISD a priority, or not.  If it is, you need to be fully committed to attacking it, and basically, most of your planning, maneuvering and target selection is going to be based around destroying it. If not, don't even bother wasting pot shots on it.

For similar points, I think a pair of MC30 torpedo frigates shooting down it's flanks will put a serious hurting on it.

My opponent drove his ISD (at speed 3) into a pocket, surrounded by my MC80, MC30, Paragon, and B-wings.  Dead on turn 3, with the torpedo frigate doing most of the heavy lifting (two double arc turns).  

There are more points of ships on the board, but there are a lot more dice being slung on the table as well.

I now have both a ISD and mc80 so will test them out. I think imp players have to reverse the role of the Isd vs mc80 and play like they have a af2 vs vic. Use its speed to keep away and try and outflank it. Tough when it has such a big flank!

You absolutely want Advanced Projectors on an ISD

I beg to differ. Electronic counter-measures are a must on the ISD-II. You NEED that brace, otherwise the MC-80 will blast its shields to pieces and then hull in two rounds, as it will normally get at least one accuracy to block brace.

I have to agree advanced projector is kinda redundant since you want your front arc facing them and the double redirect means you will lose nearly all of your shields anyway. And playing from experience today that brace is a MUST against the mc80 in fact my isd today wasn't able to spend his brace ONCE today, luckily he did his damage first and I was still able to win.

MC80 with Ackbar took mine out in two volleys. Two.

Wait. . . you lost?

I have done the rolls. 2 Assault Frigates and a MC80 with Akbar can take a base ISD in 2 turns with average rolls.

lol...you can't win all the time!

I did win the two fights leading to the final. The weight of broadside the MC80 has caught me completely flat footed. I felt like the British at the Battle of the Denmark Straits.

Back to the planning board! Not about to let a defeat bring m down!

MC80 with Ackbar took mine out in two volleys. Two.

Wait. . . you lost?

I have done the rolls. 2 Assault Frigates and a MC80 with Akbar can take a base ISD in 2 turns with average rolls.

lol...you can't win all the time!

I did win the two fights leading to the final. The weight of broadside the MC80 has caught me completely flat footed. I felt like the British at the Battle of the Denmark Straits.

Back to the planning board! Not about to let a defeat bring m down!

Yea. I was stupid. I choose to go first and picked fire lanes which was not the smartest idea now that Imperials have something that rivals the firepower of the Enhanced Armaments Assault Frigate.

It did not help that Mikael brought 3 Gladiators as well so he had 5 activations to my 3.