Sign in to follow this  
Riptide

Pilot Cards

Ever wanted to have Luke fly the Falcon or recreate the flight of Endor with Han captaining a Lambda Shuttle? Having played the Star Trek Attack Wing game, I thought it was kind of interesting that you can select your captain in that to run any ship in the game, yet in x-wing your pilot is locked onto a particular ship. This helps in the tournament format and to streamline the process, but I did want to see what the concept (if moved to x-wing) would look like for casual play. So I introduce to you Pilot cards:

Han_Solo.png

Pilot Rules:

Pilot cards can be attached to the lowest pilot skill, non-unique version of the chosen ship. Only one pilot may be attached to a single ship. All pilots are unique. Adding a pilot to a ship automatically grants your ship the Elite pilot talent slot. That ship's pilot skill is equal to the pilot skill shown on the pilot card. The black text for the squad point cost is used if attached to a ship of the same faction as the pilot. The red text for the squad point cost is used if attached to a ship of a different faction from the pilots. The pilots faction icon over-rides the ships base faction, switching it to the designated faction (ie. If the Han Solo were to fly a TIE Fighter, that ship would now be considered a Rebel ship).

Just a random photoshop build, but I figured I'd see what you all thought of it, if I should pursue making more of these for any casual gamers out there, and if there are any balancing issues that I may want to take into account based off the initial concept art shown above. Thanks for your time and any input you might provide. Have a great day!

Edited by Riptide

I really like the card, and concept interests me but I am not getting into it entirely.

I think it might be my feeling that certain pilots fly certain ships better.

Take the beloved Han, he is 9 in the Falcon, a ship he has customised and flown countless times. I would have no problem thinking he would only be a PS 5 or 6 in a Lambda Shuttle due to the lack of experience and differences from his normal ride. Still close to Top of the Class but not Best in the 'Verse like when he is in his pancake.

Same with Luke trying to fly the MF. I can imagine him crunching multiple docking bays and cursing that it doesn't handle like his X-Wing.

Take the beloved Han, he is 9 in the Falcon, a ship he has customised and flown countless times. I would have no problem thinking he would only be a PS 5 or 6 in a Lambda Shuttle due to the lack of experience and differences from his normal ride.

There is some support for that, since Han had Chewie fly the Tyderium. Suggests Chewie was a better pilot in that ship.

Switching pilots between ships will likely lead to nothing but disaster. The pilot abilities are balanced based on the ship they're on, and quite a few pilots would be entirely broken if they could be put on other ships.

Take the lowly Dark Curse, for example. When he's on a TIE Fighter, it's okay that he can be so obnoxiously hard to kill, because he's not going to do tremendous damage in the meantime. You put him on just about anything else, though, and you have possibly the game's most powerful ship.

If you want a more famous example, then consider Wedge. BB-8/PtL is already allowing him to have a bit of a rennaisance; you put him on an E-wing with PtL, R2-D2/R2 Astromech and Advanced Sensors, and you have quite the silly little ship.

Edited by DR4CO

House rules? Awesome! I love it! We've definitely put tycho in the x wing he was supposed to be in. And corran too. Playing campaigns and games that attach some kind of start arc can be made a little more interesting by moving pilots and abilities around.

Switching pilots between ships will likely lead to nothing but disaster. The pilot abilities are balanced based on the ship they're on, and quite a few pilots would be entirely broken if they could be put on other ships.

Take the lowly Dark Curse, for example. When he's on a TIE Fighter, it's okay that he can be so obnoxiously hard to kill, because he's not going to do tremendous damage in the meantime. You put him on just about anything else, though, and you have possibly the game's most powerful ship.

If you want a more famous example, then consider Wedge. BB-8/PtL is already allowing him to have a bit of a rennaisance; you put him on an E-wing with PtL, R2-D2/R2 Astromech and Advanced Sensors, and you have quite the silly little ship.

Attack Wing sort of shows why this is a very, very bad idea. But have fun.

Yeah, I can see where you are coming from; considering that you'll usually see Picard fly pretty much every and any ship available due to his natural non-stressed push the limit type ability.

Exactly. You'll have to be exceedingly careful which pilots you let switch, and potentially what you let them switch onto, in order to avoid creating something similar.

Personally, I think you'll find yourself jumping through so many hoops it won't be worth the effort, but the advantage you have, is that you can edit these things as many times as you want.  ;)

Edited by DR4CO

I did something similar once for my "X-Wing Advanced" project.

Ships would have plain cards (with a special "title" ability for each ship) and pilots would be upgrades. Only that most pilots would be restricted to 1 or max 2 ships (with some exceptions like Maarek Stele).

x_wing_plain_by_odanan-d98qq4z.jpg

x_wing_miniatures_test__pilot_card_as_up

I don't have the photoshop ability, but this is what I would do.

Put the pilots on cards the size of the ships with a "ship bar" where the red/green/yellow figures currently are. name ability and PS stay where they are in ships now. If the pilot gives any mods these go left to right in the mod bar with EPT being the first one.

I would then print the ships on clear acrylic/plastic covering the "ship bar" with the normal stats but showing the ability, ps and mods from left to right.

This way you can balance pilots to 2 or 3 ships, the mod bar would include ship mods (right) and pilot mods (left) and by placing the ship on top of the pilot you would basically get the current card style.

I really like the card, and concept interests me but I am not getting into it entirely.

I think it might be my feeling that certain pilots fly certain ships better.

Take the beloved Han, he is 9 in the Falcon, a ship he has customised and flown countless times. I would have no problem thinking he would only be a PS 5 or 6 in a Lambda Shuttle due to the lack of experience and differences from his normal ride. Still close to Top of the Class but not Best in the 'Verse like when he is in his pancake.

Same with Luke trying to fly the MF. I can imagine him crunching multiple docking bays and cursing that it doesn't handle like his X-Wing.

Keyan and Maarek are 10s in every ship they touch.

The game nerfs them down to 7s and limits them to one ship for balance reasons...

"X-Wing Advanced"?

Sounds cool.

Do you intend to add energy management as well?

Yes, they would be part of a series of "action cards".

Energy management (praise the X-Wing Quadrilogy) would be something like this: don't attack: recover 1 shield; don't attack: add 1 to your movement template; etc.

Edited by Odanan

Keyan and Maarek were only 10s if you were good at the games.

If one assumes for purposes of the lore that they at least had to be good enough to complete all of their objectives and finish the events of their respective games, one can easily conclude that they were 10s.

Obviously, someone that can't get past the first chapter isn't a 10.  But that person clearly doesn't represent the abilities of the real Keyan, Maarek and Ace.

Edited by DarthEnderX

Video games are iffy when it comes to how much of them should be ported wholesale into larger canon as fact. Difficulty levels etc aren't really a good fluff metric and absolutely do not translate 1:1 into a skill assessment.

Video games are iffy when it comes to how much of them should be ported wholesale into larger canon as fact. Difficulty levels etc aren't really a good fluff metric and absolutely do not translate 1:1 into a skill assessment.

Sure, sure, but...what about the fact that they're super cool and should be 10s for that reason?

Yes, they would be part of a series of "action cards".

Energy management (praise the X-Wing Quadrilogy) would be something like this: don't attack: recover 1 shield; don't attack: add 1 to your movement template; etc.

I think you could simplify that simply by making them all Actions right on the action bar.

You can simply assume that a ship is always shunting it's extra power somewhere.  Then you give every ship the option of increasing it's attack by 1 for the round, boosting, or recovering a shield(if it has shields).  You don't have to account for the drawback of pulling power away from the other systems, because it's assumed that whichever two actions you aren't taking are the ones that aren't being powered.

And then the Action bar(which should basically be renamed the Power bar at that point), instead of being a thing that represents, like, the attention of your Pilot, becomes a thing where your ship's power is devoted.  And things like Cloaking devices, SLAMS and Tractor Beams would all fit in there perfectly.

Edited by DarthEnderX