Sign in to follow this  
GrandSpleen

How do you hold your cards?

OK, here's one of those pointless but fun questions.  How do you hold the cards that are in your hand?  Organized?  Whatever order you drew them in?

I tend to group them by type, allies on the right, events in the middle, attachments on the left.  Group same copies of a card together, but I don't bother to sort them by sphere or cost or anything else.

I come from a competitive gaming background, so I have a long habit of having them in a random order. I shuffle them around a bit while thinking about potential plays. If you play something at a competitive level, you watch what type of card your opponent plays and where in her or his hand it was. With many players, I can tell what sorts of cards they have after a short time based on the locations of their plays and where their eyes move when they're thinking and looking at their hand. 

I sort by sphere with positions matching the heroes position on the table. Then within each sphere its a little random, though usually in order of the cards I want to play out next or are emergency events. Kinda like a wishlist.

By sphere, then type. Beyond that whatever takes my fancy.

I don't hold the cards in my hand, I have them on the table in front the of me, with each group (e.g. Lore allies) stacked vertically so I can see the top of each card.

By sphere, then type. Beyond that whatever takes my fancy.

I don't hold the cards in my hand, I have them on the table in front the of me, with each group (e.g. Lore allies) stacked vertically so I can see the top of each card.

+1.  I do exactly this.

I come from a competitive gaming background, so I have a long habit of having them in a random order. I shuffle them around a bit while thinking about potential plays. If you play something at a competitive level, you watch what type of card your opponent plays and where in her or his hand it was. With many players, I can tell what sorts of cards they have after a short time based on the locations of their plays and where their eyes move when they're thinking and looking at their hand. 

Like Glaurung!

I hold them in this order, from the left : allies, attachments and events, and by cost.

When I must do a random discard, I use a randomizing app on my iPod. (I know, I know...)

I recently organized my cards on my box mainly be effects (Ressources, questing + willpower, healing + conditions, attack + damage, etc). Everything, in each category, is classified by sphere, than by attachments ans events, and by cost. (I know, I know....)

Basically random. I'll re-order my cards up to the front that I intend use that round, but otherwise the order is dictated from drawing and my random re-ordering while I strategize...

BTW while this has no effect on my games due to my solo play, I find your technique and reasoning interesting and impressive!! :)

BTW while this has no effect on my games due to my solo play, I find your technique and reasoning interesting and impressive!! :)

This comes up in professional bridge as well, where official rules actually call observing where a player plays his card from a "breach of propriety" (although, as you can imagine, this is rather difficult to enforce). Apparently most serious bridge players make it a point not to arrange their hand in quite the same way every time.

This comes up in professional bridge as well, where official rules actually call observing where a player plays his card from a "breach of propriety" (although, as you can imagine, this is rather difficult to enforce). Apparently most serious bridge players make it a point not to arrange their hand in quite the same way every time.

This is the reason why professional poker players lay their cards down in front of them and only bend the corners up slightly if they need a reminder of what they are holding. Another big thing is glasses. I have played in some MTG tournaments where I could see my opponent's entire hand reflected in his glasses. At big MTG events I lay my hand down on the table, and simply remember what I have.