Sign in to follow this  
Stasy

Sullust Stories (Share away!)

That's a tough one. Every player has to find his or her own line dividing "playing fair" and "telling the other player how to play their ships". My line falls in a place where I would have reminded you of the victory points, but I definitely wouldn't tell you that moving to a certain place might be a bad idea because demolisher is nearby. I've seen players fall on either side - I've even seen a player remind his opponent of the victory condition when noticing the opponent move away from an objective on a key turn.

I'm not comfortable saying "gotcha" at the end of a game, and I'd feel similarly to you in this situation, but I guess ultimately I'd know that I shared in the guilt because I didn't read my card well enough. (This has happened to me as well.)

To me, I'll gladly give my opinion to an opponent if they've been receptive and will remind them if there were benefits, even if it's detrimental to me.

I'll sleep better at night knowing that I played a fair game that, let's be honest, we're all pretty new to even if I lose. To be honest, without the defense dice chance, you likely put yourself in that bad position.

I know how to ship:

12107017_10153106511125686_1747765020681

Circle 'em wagons!
Is it bad that I am rather impressed by that close proximity?

Hate to necro, but did we ever find out how and why this situation happened? I'm really curious.

Just had our Massing at Sullust redux. 9 players- 5 Imperial, 4 Rebel. We were excited to have Quynh (Gencon winner) come down with his pal Stephen to join us. The more the merrier!

I ran something silly: 1 Naked Guppy w/ Mon Mothma, and 5 naked CR90Bs. Objectives were Superior Positions, Most Wanted, and Fleet Ambush.

First game was against Jeff w/ a VSD I, Demolisher, and Insidious. All decked out, no fighters. I elected to go first, and very stupidly chose opening salvo. He made me pay for it- 2-8 loss!

Then I had the Bye for round 2. Went into round 3 with 10 points, but the tournament had been bloody up until then. No scores higher than 8-2, and the top 4 were all tied with 13 points.

Then I faced a Yavaris, Salvation, Jaina's Light + 3 Ys, and 3 As (I think?) list. I chose to go 2nd, he picked Superior Positions. By making him deploy first, I was able to form a Corvette gun line, and the mass of blue dice just did him in. He got one of my 'Vettes, but I scored a 10-0.

In the end, I was 20 points with a pretty high MoV. 2nd place was Stephen with his triple gups.

CSx6t2yUkAEZRMj.jpg

I now have 2 ISDs for our league!

pic of my last game:

CSwuTJcUcAAmXUx.jpg

I'm a little jealous of all the ISD/MC80 winners.

But I'd like to think it's helping me intergrate the Raider and Shrimp faster than people who didn't get them.

Still haven't found a real good reason for the Raider. :D

Just had our Massing at Sullust redux. 9 players- 5 Imperial, 4 Rebel. We were excited to have Quynh (Gencon winner) come down with his pal Stephen to join us. The more the merrier!

I ran something silly: 1 Naked Guppy w/ Mon Mothma, and 5 naked CR90Bs. Objectives were Superior Positions, Most Wanted, and Fleet Ambush.

First game was against Jeff w/ a VSD I, Demolisher, and Insidious. All decked out, no fighters. I elected to go first, and very stupidly chose opening salvo. He made me pay for it- 2-8 loss!

Then I had the Bye for round 2. Went into round 3 with 10 points, but the tournament had been bloody up until then. No scores higher than 8-2, and the top 4 were all tied with 13 points.

Then I faced a Yavaris, Salvation, Jaina's Light + 3 Ys, and 3 As (I think?) list. I chose to go 2nd, he picked Superior Positions. By making him deploy first, I was able to form a Corvette gun line, and the mass of blue dice just did him in. He got one of my 'Vettes, but I scored a 10-0.

In the end, I was 20 points with a pretty high MoV. 2nd place was Stephen with his triple gups.

CSx6t2yUkAEZRMj.jpg

I now have 2 ISDs for our league!

pic of my last game:

CSwuTJcUcAAmXUx.jpg

I honestly thought you had me the first game but once you got into black range of my ships with Opening Salvo those CR-90s started popping fast. It also didnt hurt giving you 2 Comm Noise crits on your Guppy and sitting him on an asteroid.  :)

My last game with Stephen (great player and very laid back) I had him (killed two of his A-wings) and I could have just stayed away from his Guppies and slow played it and won but that isnt my play style.  My problem was I was slow rolling towards him in the beginning to stay near my Vic I but then I over committed too late and he smartly took advantage of my mistake and got the win by killing one of my Glads in the last activation of the last round.  Was a blast.

Edited by Overdawg

Yeah I totally underestimated opening salvo- that gave you a big advantage with those red dice in the front. You were ACMing and Screeding before I was even shooting! But you also played extremely well in regards to timing your activations and nav commands. Double comm noise on the guppy was.. not expected :P

Played my fourth Sullust yesterday in Umeå, Sweden. Since I already had brought home an ISD and a MC80 (and some fighter squads) I wanted to change up my list and challenge myself a little. Previously I had ran Screed with 2 VSD's, 1 Demolisher and 3 squads for some fighter management. I don't have anyone to play with here in my small hometown, so I mainly get to play at the tournamentsout of town that I can get myself to, so have very few games under my belt.

I never tried Tarkin and was sceptical if he was worth the cost, especially since I only intended to have 2 capital ships. But I had ran Screed so much (and just finished the book about the man) so I went with Tarkin anyways. And I wanted to try more squads for the first time, so in the end I came up with this:

Victory II-Class Star Destroyer  85
    Grand Moff Tarkin  38
    Defense Liaison  3
    Expanded Hangar Bay  5

Gladiator I-Class Star Destroyer  56
    Demolisher  10
    Engine Techs  8
    Assault Concussion Missiles  7

Major Rhymer    16
3 TIE Bomber Squadron    27
2 TIE Advanced Squadron     24
Soontir Fel    18

Total = 297

Assault Objective: Precision Strike

Defense Objective: Contested Outpost

Navigation Objective: Superior Positions

I figured my fighter screen was not really strong enough but I took my chances anyways.

At the tournament we were 8 space admirals competing for the new and shiny ships. 4 of us travelled together in my car.

First game I met John who had rode with me (but we never played eachother before), and I thought it was the worst match-up for me. He had 2 space potatoes and and swarm of A and Y-wings. My inexperience with squads showed and he managed to tie up my entire rhymer ball with 3 well placed A-Wings, and I just could not kill them. Their counter attacks did more damage than my regular attacs, so it took forever to get my squads moving again. Fortunately he also did some misstakes and bumped his ships and since our objective was Precision Strike I could flip the damage card he was dealt to get some objective tokens. My demolisher managed to steal some tokens too, and although I thought I had lost the game we ended with  the result 5 - 5 which I was very happy with considering it was a tough match-up and I had a really bad start.

Next game I faced an interesting rebel list with Mon Mothma on a Assault Frigate and 2 Nebulons and 2 Corvettes, no fighters. He choose First Player and took Contested Outpost and I managed to screen of the station with a cluster of Asteroids. I snagged the first token with Demolisher while he was approaching from all directions. I sent out the squads to greet the rebels to one side, then switched over to the other when the first group decided to go for the Gladiator instead. My Victory controlled the Station for 4 more rounds before doing a precision dodge through the astroids. I managed to kill a few of his ships thanks to Demolisher, who had went through the asteroids earlier to intercept the rebels, and of course my bombers could do their thing with no enemy fighters there to bother them. Win 9 - 1 

3rd game was against my friend Patric who also rode with me. He ran the same list that he had when we met at the last Sullust: 3 Victory Star Destroyers commanded by Admiral Motti. That's a lot of hull... But no fighters so, there was hope. He got to choose first or second and he really didn't want to pick any of my objectives so let me go first. The least bad objective for me was Minefields, so he set up the obstacles and mines to block off more or less half the board. Anyhow I took a gamble and tried to go around the minefield with my gladiator. That left me with only a small corridor to go through to reach his fleet, and for a while it looked like we was going to block off that way with one Victory, but he changed his mind and brought all 3 ships to my Flagship. Tarkin had stopped to let them come to him so Demolisher would be able to swoop in from behind in time for battle and had sent Rhymer and his boys and girls out far to meet the enemy. I figured with 3 Victories coming in in a quite small space I wouldn't need Squad Commands to get my bombers to find their target. My bombers ripped the shields of the first enemy to come close, but he engineered them right up again and found cover behind an astroid, so I had to change targets to Motti himself who just got into range. Motti had my Demolisher attacking from behind and bombers in the side, so it was only a matter of time before he would go down. Despite him not having any fighters, he managed to take out Rhymer and two other squads with some really hot blue dice from his anti-fighter lasers. In the last round Tarkin got a heavy hit from the third Victory with a punishing 3 red + 6 black dice, but it was too late, Tarkin survived and the game ended with his Flagship down and I had only lost 3 squads for a score of 7-3.

So despite a not-so-good start I managed to grab second place. Winning list was the GenCon Special.

It was a fun tournament, there were many different list and new players.

I doubt I got full use of Tarkin, often I already had all the tokens I wanted and could not take more on at least one ship, but then again at some times it was invaluable. Combining Tarkin with Liasons is a good way to get more flexiblity in a 3-command ship. Of course I forgot Tarkin at least once and missed other things, but that's quite normal for me. :-)  Anyhow I felt great that I challenged myself with a completely new list and that it worked out really well, even though I hadn't even practised it the least at home.

So this is my complete Massing at Sullust story:

Stockholm, Dragon's Lair, 5 players: 1st, chose the ISD

Stockholm, Alphaspel, 4 players: 2nd, chose the ISD + 1 Hound's Tooth + 1 Jumpmaster

Sundsvall, Orion Spel, 16 players, I was TO:ing and playing: 5th place, got 1 Firespray

Umeå, Fantasia, 8 players: 2nd place, chose Home One

(traded ISD for Home One + Firespray after Sundsvall)

Edited by oxymandias