Sign in to follow this  
Stasy

Sullust Stories (Share away!)

What an awesome tournament Massing at Sullust turned out to be!

There were 10 people that showed up at the tournament I went to. But out of those 10, only two people were running Rebel fleets. Most people were running variations of 1 to 2 Victory's and 1 Gladiator.

I ran:

2x Victory-I 's, one fielding Grand Moff Tarkin

1x Gladiator-1, Demolisher, Wulff Yularen, Engine Techs

Soontir Fel

2x TIE Fighters

Most Wanted

Contested Outpost

Dangerous Territory

Total Points: 299

Round 1

Opponent's Fleet:

1x Assault Frigate Mk. II A, Mon Mothma, Intel Officer, X17 Turbolasers, Gunnery Team

2x Nebulon-B Support Refit

1x CR90-B, Princess Leia

Chosen Objective: Most Wanted (opponent's)

*Opponent had a couple more upgrades I think, but I can't remember what they were*

I was incredibly nervous in the first round, as this was my first tournament for Armada and the first time I would face a player that wasn't myself or a friend I was trying to teach the game to. I faced off against a Rebel fleet, which I was happy for. I was more used to playiing against Rebels in the practice games I had done, so I knew if I stuck to the Imperial strategy of "point ships towards what I want dead" and "look out for flanks", I might have a good chance. But my opponent looked confident and I feared he would have experience that would best me.

My fleet point cost was higher so my opponent chose to be second player. I chose Most Wanted as the objective. He chose my Gladiator and I chose his CR90 as objective ships. The round began and I moved my Victory's up from the right edge of the board to close in on his Assault Frigate and Nebulon-B's while sending my Gladiator around from closer to the center edge to  chase down his CR90. Unfortunately, my Gladiator ran into some asteroids on the way, suffering Structural Damage and ending round 1 with two damage cards on him. A painful navigation mistake on my part. As the rounds continued, my Gladiator came under fire from both my opponent's CR90 and Assault Frigate, and wasn't close enough to my Victory's to get cover from them. Fortunately, I circled my Gladiator around the back of the Assault Frigate and chose to have it continue chasing down the CR90 that was trying to stay as far away from my Victory's as possible.

At turn 3, my opponent chose to turn his Nebulon-B's from going straight to turning them to the left so their front arc was facing my Victory's. However, this placed them on a direct course for the front of my Victory's. On turn four, I was close enough to his front-running Nebulon-B to hit it with 7 attack dice from one of my Victory's front arcs (3 Red, 4 Black from a Concentrated Fire command dial). The Nebulon-B's front shield were down thanks to multiple lucky hits from my fighter squadrons. I demolished his Nebulon-B with a total of 8 hits.

At round 5 I realized that my Victory would not survive the combined fire of his Assault Frigate and remaining Nebulon-B, so I accelerated both Victory's to head towards the far left side of the map where my heavily damaged Gladiator was still chasing down his CR90. He managed to get a few pot shots off on my fleeing Victory's, and managed to kill off Soontir Fel. At round six I knew I had won, as there was no way he could do enough damage to my damaged Victory to destroy it.

Round 1 margin of victory - 41 Points.

Tournament Points - 6 (Total - 6)

Round 2

Opponent's Fleet:

1x Victory-II, Grand Moff Tarkin, Admiral Chiraneau, Gunnery Team

1x Gladiator-II, Expanded Launchers, Gunnery Team

Soontir Fel

Mauler Mithel

2x TIE Fighers

1x TIE Advanced

*Again, can't remember all upgrades my opponent had*

Objective Chosen: Contested Outpost (opponent's)

After the first round I was feeling much more confident. I suppose winning does that. I was still nervous for round 2 though, as I now had to go against an imperial fleet. Something I didn't think I was very well-prepared for. I also didn't like all the fighter squadrons my opponent brought, as I wasn't sure how my three squadrons would be able to handle them.

We both set up our fleets at our respective center edges of the map, pointing towards the outpost token. After my opponent had moved his two ships, my remaining ship was the gladiator. I think I surprised him at the speed and space that the Gladiator can cover with Engine Techs because he seemed pretty surprised when I moved 3 and then boosted 1 to get within close distance firing range on the first turn. I got a few hits in on his front arc. At turn 2, I activated my gladiator again and moved it so that the side arc was facing his front arc, used a revealed Concentrate Fire command to fire 5 black dice into his Gladiator's front arc, leaving his Gladiator with precious few shields and hull. In trying to get away from my Gladiator though, he moved his a bit too close to my Victory's. One Victory got several hits on his remaining shields and moved within close-distance range.

At the start of the next turn, I finished off his Gladiator with seven attack dice from my Victory's front arc, hitting on almost every single one. Now it was my two Victory's and one Gladiator against his single Victory-II and his fighters. My three fighter squadrons had done their job and simply tied up his fighters, even though I knew mine were being picked off pretty badly. While the sheer number of enemy fighter squadrons was worrying at first, I quickly realized that without bombers, his fighters weren't much of a threat to me. Especially when I only had one more ship of his to destroy.

By the end of turn 5 I had destroyed his last ship with the concentrated fire of all three of my ships against it.

Round 2 Margin of Victory: 187

Tournament Points- 9 (Total - 15)

Round 3

1x Victory-II, Admiral Screed, Intel Officer, Gunnery Team, X17 Turbolasers

1x Victory-I, Gunnery Team

1x Gladiator-II, Demolisher, Gunnery Team, Assault Concussion Missiles

*still off on all the upgrades. The tournament was 6 hours long, hard to remember all upgrades at that point*

Chosen Objective: Minefields

The final round. The big round. The one that determined who would be placing in the tournament. My opponent was also 2-0 in the tournament, so for all I knew it was between the two of us for first pick of the prizes. However, my opponent was running a very similar version to what I had, though he chose to forgo squadrons entirely for more upgrades on his ships.

Whether it was exhaustion from playing for so long, general stupidity, or bad luck on my part, I did not play this round well. The way my opponent set up mines and obstacle tokens set the map in a way that I only had one clear lane to go through with my Victory's, which led straight toward my opponent's ships facing right back at me. And any manuvering I tried to do with my Gladiator to try and get around behind his ships, would most certainly get him either caught in mines, or caught in by a Victory turning to face him.

I chose to try and outpower his Victory-I and Victory-II with my two Victory-I's. But that meant closing in and fast before his Gladiator and Victory-II could pelt my shields away from a distance before I could start getting my black dice in my attack pool. Around turn 2, I managed to get some good hits on his Gladiator from the side arc of my Gladiator. But I suffered a lot of shield loss from his Victory's managing to get just within long-distance range of my Gladiator and firing at it. At the start of round 3, my Victory-I failed to destroy his Gladiator at close-range, which allowed his to fire from it's front arc at my damaged Gladiator, damage it more, then move and attack from it's side arc at close-range and finish off my Gladiator.

At turn 4 I destroyed his Gladiator, but my flagship was heavily damaged from hits from his own Victory's. I fired back as best as I could with my ships, but his Victory's were still at full health and I had damage on both my ships. At the end of turn 4 I lost my flagship. I managed to keep my second Victory alive into turn 6, but it was finished off at that point, as it couldn't maneuver out to safety at all.

Round 3 Margin of Victory: 0

Tournament Points - 0 (Total - 15)

I ended up in fifth place, which I wasn't unhappy with. It just  meant I didn't get a choice of any of the new expansions. The opponent I played against ended up lacing first place and took the ISD. However, I did not leave empty handed. The tournament organizer chose to raffle off the Rogues and Villains expansion and I was the fortunate one to win it. Thus, I left the tournament placing 5th and taking home a brand new expansion for Armada.

Did poorly in the Friday tournament I attended, then won the Saturday tournament.  Strange quirk here locally - 2 stores ran the event on Saturday at roughly the same time, so it split the player base.  I won with this list:

VSD II with Screed, Enhanced Armament, Gunnery Team

GSD I with Assault Concussion Missiles

GSD I with ACM, Demolisher

1 TIE Interceptor

3 TIE Fighters

Superior Positions

Contested Outpost

Advanced Gunnery

In the final table, I used an ISD II, 2 GSD I with ACM, and obviously the Raider (I don't recall if it was a I or II), with 3 TIE Fighters, IG88, and a generic Firespray.  My opponent used Akbar on the MC80, plus an AF-B, and obviously the MC30, plus Luke, Keyan, and Han.  I was terrified of all those nice and wide side arcs, but I was able to use the Raider and one GSD to block the MC80 from getting into a good position, and the ISD and GSDs simply tore the Rebel ships to shreds.  With more practice I'm sure my opponent would do better next time as it was only his 1st time playing Rebels (so I felt a little bad, but not so bad that I didn't want to take that ISD home with me).  :)   I had a lot of fun both days!

Welp, day 2. Much better this time around.

Took a couple of Gladiators and a VSD, not worrying at all about squadrons. I was afraid I'd face some group of bombers, but that didn't happen.

Game 1 was against an opponent I've practiced with for most of the past week, this was our fifth game against one another. Two gladiators, one Victory, on both sides. Difference was I had Expanded Launchers firing out of the nose, and one of them was the Insidious. Ended up killing all his ships with the loss of only the Demolisher.

Second game I set up in the corner for contested outpost, forcing my opponent to come to me. His Demolisher couldn't turn hard enough to stay on the board and ended up being lost (though I think I could have killed it next turn, or at least stayed out of range?) Destroyed his VSD, his remaining GSD stayed out of range to prevent being totally tabled. I ended up being first I guess, with all of that. Naturally I decided to be Empire in the final round.

When I made my list I had only two points: Massive firepower, and thick hulls. I picked Motti, two VSD-IIs with leading shots, an Expendable Raider-I, Fett, and the Imperial-II with Electronic countermeasures and Motti. I deployed my destroyers in line abreast on my left side of the map and put my raider mid-board, angled left, with Fett as well in response to the Scout frigate.

Additionally my opponent ran the MC80 with Ackbar (Home one was never used, but he did have advanced projectors), an Assault Frigate (both with a mix of upgrades) and a CR-90 with overload pulse. Han was his fighter squadron. Fire lanes was the chosen objective, and my opponent placed them all on top of one another in his corner of the board opposite of my Destroyers. This was going to be brutal.

VSD left was trying to ram the MC80 and keep it from moving. Didn't succeed, ended up being lost on turn 5.
The Imperial moved forward and kept hammering away at the Assault Frigate. Massive amounts of damage, but landing the final blow only on the CR-90.

VSD right turned to try countering the CR-90 and Scout frigate. My opponent actually engaged this ship with both of them instead of the ISD, and I managed to keep both of them alive as a result.

The Raider arrowed in from the side, getting two arcs on the left flank of the Scout cruiser before ramming it. I ultimately lost it, but it dealt seven damage before it died.

Fett traded some shots with Han, hitting the CR-90 a couple of times to help bring it down.

The final shots were from the back arcs against the MC80. My remaining destroyers weren't near death, and it was a brutal slugging match with lots of dice thrown around. Ultimately I think my winning might have been a bit of a foregone conclusion simply because could throw so much dice down one corridor and grab all three of the victory points he placed close together.

Either way, a nice comeback from such a dismal performance on Friday! And to help other players out, I handed to those players who didn't win anything some of the promo TIE cards from the summer kit I had on me. I know how it feels to spend effort to go to one of these things and not come away with anything new, so I wanted to help, and I had plenty from another tournament that I ran earlier this year.

Edited by Norsehound

Went to my 2nd tourney today,  after dominating Saturday, using the same list I stunk up the joint Sunday, losing 1-9 to a guy I beat 10-0 yesterday (both fun games, he was happy for revenge)..  BUT only 4 players and top 2 only play Imps so went 0-2 and took home a MC-80  to match up with my ISD yesterday.  Not shabby.

Played my 2nd event. The last game came down to a single black die roll. 1 hit would win me the game and shoot me up to 3rd or possibly 2nd place. I rolled a blank and got 5th. Had a great time though and think the list I feiled this weekend (used the same one for both events) turned out to be effective.

Also, Crabbok was my 3rd match both days, so that was interesting.

Vic 1

* Scrred
* H9 Turbolaser

*Warlord

Gladiator 1

*Demolisher

*Assault Concussion Missiles

Gladiator 1

*Assault Concussion Missiles

Rhymer

Bomber

Bomber

Advanced

Edited by AverageBoss

I Won my Tournament :) Took the Monster that is the ISD. I don't remember all my opponents upgrade cards but here's what I remember.

My list was "Good Luke, but don't force it!"

Garem Bel Iblis on

Assault Frigate B, Intel Officer

Assault Frigate B, Adar Talon

CR90 A, Jainas Light, Leia Organa

Luke Skywalker, Tycho Celchu, A-Wing, A-Wing

My first match up was against Imps. VSD 1 and a Gladiator 2 Demolisher, Sontir Fel, Howlrunner, 2x Tie, 2x Tie Interceptors, 2x Tie advanced and he chose Hyperspace Assault.

I managed to kill both ships without any loss Hyperspacing in to take the GSD first and distracting the VSD with the CR90. I did loose some fighters (people don't like Luke). I left a number of Ties on the table which I didn't get the points for because the game ended as soon as I destroyed his Star destroyers. 10-0 win

My second match was Rebs. He took Garem, Assault Frigate A, Paragon, Gunnery Team, XX9, Neb B Salvation, CR90 A, 2x X-Wing, Tycho, A-Wing. He chose Most wanted.

As was my strategy I Made my CR90 and his Assault Frigate the Most wanted keeping the CR90 out of it and giving the Neb the run-around. I approached his CR90 and Frigate with a herringbone attack which obliterated the CR90 but made me curve a bit wide to follow up on his Frigate. The game ended with his fighters gone, his CR90 gone and both his Frigate and Neb on 1 hull! Arragh, so close. Still a 7-3 Win.

My Last match was against Screed Two VSD1s, Two Gladiators with upgrades I don't remember ACM's I think. He chose Most wanted.

Again I chose my CR90 as the most wanted and kept it on the safe flank of an Assault frigate out of the game I then chose his closest GSD as the other target (which was still surrounded by 1 VSD and the other Gladiator) My deployment was Echelon formation angled to keep his other VSD out of the fight. My opponent told me he didn't believe fighters could achieve anything and so I set about proving him wrong. God I love the black die of A-Wings against ships! I ploughed my cheapest frigate with Talon into his line and with great fighter support obliterated his objective ship. The Frigates days were clearly numbered after this so I bugged out faster than he could follow. My other frigate and CR90 were too wide and too quick for him, Luke was too tank to be shot down and my A-wings moved too fast to be followed. I'd done the Maths from the beginning, double a GSDs points plus upgrades vs a bog standard Frigate with Adar Tallon, I had a win. I understand his frustration but that's the great thing about objectives.

With that I had 1st place by a large margin. Time was getting on so we called it a day there and I walked away with an Imperial Star Destroyer.

Not that it matters but I wouldn't take Leia again, other than that I wouldn't change a thing as I think having lowest points and choosing second every game was a big deal. My only regret is not having more fighters. The most important thing I learned was when to bug out and give up the chase to take the win, It's not all about wiping your opponent, which in my mind makes this game much more about tactics and strategy than others.

Edited by Rhinehard

Awesome write-ups everyone, great reading.

Edit: Rhinehard, I especially like your 3rd game, a great case study in fighting on your terms rather than being sucked into a battle of attrition.

Edited by Ophion

I played keep away at the one tournament. I think everyone in that particular game left with full shields and no hull damage. I felt like it was a moral win as the guy was apparently one of the best players in the area.

Still sucked we never engaged because he would have taken my Vics to church if we did. Tough call to just eat a game like that.

Victory with Victories in Albany NY with:

Vic1, Dominator, Motti

Vic 1, Enhanced Arms

Vic 1, Enhanced Arms

2x Tie Fighter Squadrons

2 questions:

1. What size mats did you guys all play on?  Our T.O. had us playing on 3' x 3' mats. I was expect 4'x3' or 5'x3'.  I feel like this gave me quite an advantage, as it didn't give more fast/mobile lists much room to flank me.

2. Is anyone collating data of ships present for meta trending?

1. Playing 300 (or 400) points on a 3x3 mat is not in line with the rules. Very surprised a TO would not be aware of this. 

2. For meta data, best check http://www.miniranker.com

I attended two events, running Motti with 3x Victory II and Gunnery Team.

Saturday's event had four players.  I drew the new guy and faced two Victories with Vader, Fel, Rhymer and a Bomber in a Minefield.  Three Star Destroyers died, but only one of them was mine.  He basically jousted me, so those Gunnery Teams were doing fine work.  Second game was against Rebel Scum.  Two Assault Frigates with two CR-90s and two A-wings.  I chose his hyperspace assault and slow-rolled, knowing he would either have to commit piecemeal or settle for no shooting the first couple rounds, which would favor my more durable vessels.  A mistake sent one CR90 off the map, and I nuked the other one.  Nothing else died.  At the other table, the new guy learned just enough from me to pull off a huge win with the help of a single lucky roll (double accuracy) that he faced me again at the top table.  I took Imperial.

I flew:

ISD II, Screed, Avenger, Tractor Beam, Gunner Team

Gladiator I, Demolisher, ACM, Engine Techs

Gladiator I, ACM, Engine Techs

Raider II, Overload Pulse

Boba Fett

He had (as much as I can remember):

MC80 Assault, Ackbar, Enhanced Armament, Defiance

2x CR90

MC30, Foresight

Han Solo

We met over my contested outpost.  The ISD opened slowly to grab victory tokens, while pretty much everything else went max speed.  First damage came from Boba Fett planting three damage into the face of a CR90.  The MC30 swept in on the same flank as Demolisher.  They traded brutal broadsides before parting ways.  Boba's CR90 came in too fast for its own good and parked next to the other Gladiator, giving it double arcs.  Corvette confetti continued on its final course at speed 4.  The ISD finished off the MC30.  Things were looking good.  He was down two ships, and everything was converging on the MC80.  Then it opened fire.  The first salvo was 11 dice (7 red, 2 blue, 2 black) onto the Gladiator.  He rolled three accuracy and my ship evaporated.  Then he took his second shot (-1 black die) against Demolisher, which would have suffered the same fate, except this time he did not get any accuracy, so I was able to Brace.  It mattered little as he activated first next round and finished off his prey, putting the other heavy broadside into the ISD.  Now the ISD was pointed directly point-blank amidships at the CR80, which had only lost some shields.  Fortunately the side facing me was unshielded, and the 8 dice did their work.  I got enough accuracy to send everything to the hull, leaving the Mon Cal at 1 hull, which I promptly rammed to death.  After that it was just cleaning up a CR90 (though he managed to snag a VP from the station after I left.

Sunday was unfortunately only two of us.  We played one round and decided to call it good as I had a long drive home and none of the expansions had been opened/assembled yet.  I should have lost (my dice were cold and his hot), but he messed up his activation order and rammed one of his CR90s to death.  I killed another, which put me slightly ahead of the one lost Victory.

Overall a pretty good weekend.  Took home two ISDs and an MC-30.

Is it just me, or does it feel like when you build a list, you run out of points in a hurry. But then you see a similar build on an opponent, and it feels like somehow they have magical builds (that are close to yours) that feel like they added 20 more points on there? Hahah

I'm not suggesting cheating. Just want to say that.

Edited by Stasy

Guys, seriously...

The entire point of this thing is to play the final round so we can get some war stories of the new ships.

If this had been available to play in Australia we would have got a 16 player turn out in Newcastle alone.

All these stories of 4 or 6 people playing, sharing out the prizes and not even bothering to play the final round is pretty naff.

Sorry in advance if this offends anyone, just a perspective from down here in the neglected antipodes...

But play the final round and give us results and commentary!

Honestly after playing on Saturday for 7 hours straight, and then Sunday for 8 hours straight, that final game was painful haha. Fatigue had definitely set in, but it was fun nonetheless. Managed to pull 2nd place running Salvation, Yavaris, Jaina's Light and had 2 B wings, Wedge and Tycho. Took home the ISD. Great games!

I played a standard Rhymer ball list:

Motti,

Vic I, Admiral Chiraneau, Ex. Hangar Bays, Corrupter
Vic I, Flight controllers, Ex. Hangar Bays, Xi7
Rhymer
3 bombers

4 advanceds

My first match was someone I had just finished playing the week prior in a league game, and soundly trounced. He said the last guy he wanted to play was me, so I had a good laugh when I walked up to see the lists and saw we were facing each other for the first game. 

Game #1:

Garm Bel Iblis

Two AFs, I forget which kind, with AP and something else annoying, 

Salvation, Xi7
We played his Superior Positions objective and he ended up running a congo line along his side of the board, with Salvation in the rear. My bombers racked up 10 or 11 objective tokens, and I managed one long range shot on his leading AF that was fleeing the scene, netting one accuracy and two double hits, neatly obviating his sole remaining defense token and hitting him for the exact amount of health he had left. I ended up with 9-1 victory.

Table #2:

Mon Mothma, one AF A, and two CR90s, Dodonna's Pride and Jaina's Light.
We played Precision Strikes. It was a close match until the end, he made the mistake of flying his AF between my two Vics and ate it while killing the non-Motti Vic, and the bombers polished off the corvettes. I won but not by a wide margin here.

Table #3:
Screed

Gladiator, ACM
Demolisher, ACM
Insidious, ACM 
Rhymer, 3 bombers
2 advanceds

This was a short and ugly fight. My flight controller advanceds wiped his off the board before they got a shot, and I got lucky with him loading up 9 damage on my flight controller Vic, and then missing with 3 bomber attacks. I activated him first the next round and managed to kill Screed and the Demolisher. Insidious managed to blow past my remaining Vic and almost escaped, since my bombers ended up scattered beyond squadron command range. He had a single hit point remaining and I just managed to land Rhymer next to an orphaned bomber that was only barely in range of him. A single bomb attack killed him and gave me enough points for second place.

It was about 7:30 or 8pm on a Sunday night, so nobody wanted to stick around for the 400pt game. I took the ISD home since 1st place asked my preference and mainly plays Rebels.. 

I have seen several people mention how, after a full day, people didn't want to stick around for the final game and so distributed the ships based on the regular tournament and then everyone went home.  I wonder how common that is?

In our own tournament of 8 players everyone stayed around and watched the final 400-point game (and it was good close one).  I arrived at Game headquarters at 9:30 AM and didn't leave the shop until about 9:30 PM.

I completely understood not hanging for the 400 point matchup on Friday... most places didn't start until 5/6pm. That's a real long night, and semi-unfair for the stores hosting to stay open until 1-2am to host something. Especially if they didn't make any money on it.

But Sat/Sun... that's pretty lame. I mean, if you had less than 8, there was no excuse not to cut to two rounds, and then force the 400pt game. In my case, multiple people had over an hour ride home, but it still would have been nice. Glad it happened on my Sunday tournament. It was nice to see them unboxed and on the table.

We started at noon, and had 3 games. I think we started the 400 pt game around 7 PM and finished around 9 PM. I was mentally and physically drained by the time I went home.

Oh something I wanted to add:

One of my players, in the final round, informed me that, if a ship temporarily reduces its speed to "0" due to overlapping, that their defense tokens are unavailable for the remainder of that round just as if they had an actual speed of "0".  It didn't affect the game, but this doesn't sound right to me. I'm not seeing that provision anywhere in the rules, and in fact, upon looking up something different last night, I saw in the Armada Referece, page 8, Overlapping, bullet 1:

"If a ship temporarily reduces its speed, its speed returns to the number indicated on the speed dial after it finishes executing its maneuver."

This would suggest to me he was wrong, (unless or until something comes out in the game that is able to make an attack as an interrupt to another ship's maneuver.)

Anyone know of anything else or is there something in FAQ?
Edited by Rocmistro

Since it's speed returns to its original value when it finishes executing its maneuver, that means that it can still use its defense tokens.  Any shots directed at the ship will occur either before its move (and it has the collision) or after it has executed its own maneuver (so it is back up to speed).  Its speed will not count as zero so it can still use its defense tokens.  The only way a ship will be at speed 0 is if the player had used a maneuver command to change its speed to 0.

I need to read up on the tractor beams to see if they can force a ship to speed 0, but I don't think they can.

Edited by Edsel62

But Sat/Sun... that's pretty lame. I mean, if you had less than 8, there was no excuse not to cut to two rounds, and then force the 400pt game.

You mean besides wildly skewing the already fickle tournament results and leaving numerous players dissatisfied?

I'd much rather play the full number of competitive rounds and skip the fun round (as we did) to get an accurate and meaningful prize distribution.

Four tournaments and other one of them did we want to (nor were we able to if we did) play or watch the exhibition match.

*shrug*

Guess we have to wait a whole few days to see people use the models. Shucks.

But Sat/Sun... that's pretty lame. I mean, if you had less than 8, there was no excuse not to cut to two rounds, and then force the 400pt game.

You mean besides wildly skewing the already fickle tournament results and leaving numerous players dissatisfied?

I'd much rather play the full number of competitive rounds and skip the fun round (as we did) to get an accurate and meaningful prize distribution.

Four tournaments and other one of them did we want to (nor were we able to if we did) play or watch the exhibition match.

*shrug*

Guess we have to wait a whole few days to see people use the models. Shucks.

While I don't disagree about the tournament points being... an issue, I think the whole point was to get the new models out there. Not playing that 400 point game took away some of the rather intangible goals of the whole thing.

It was a promotional deal. If I saw a ship in action and it performed differently than I expected, I'd be likely to pre order one or add more than I would have originally. Or even just seeing the new and more recognizable ships may have drew attention from other non competing customers to the game in large (happened twice in my weekend of games).

I do think if people didn't like the way a specific place ran it, they won't be likely to go back for the next event.