Sign in to follow this  
Stasy

Sullust Stories (Share away!)

Thanks! I did not expect it, least of all at this, the bigger of the three four Sullust tournaments around here. I itch to take out the new ISD for a spin, but unfortunately that will have to wait until it hits the stores and becomes legal at tournaments.

I know this is getting old already, but that thing is huge! I get a little shocked each time I pass it in the living room.

Thanks! I did not expect it, least of all at this, the bigger of the three four Sullust tournaments around here. I itch to take out the new ISD for a spin, but unfortunately that will have to wait until it hits the stores and becomes legal at tournaments.

I know this is getting old already, but that thing is huge! I get a little shocked each time I pass it in the living room.

It is intimidating to say the least. . .

You are going to love how my Sullust event story ends of you listen to Intensify Forward Firepower. It's ... fitting.

'Captain- censors are picking a 180 degree spin, no, wait, it might just be a U turn, ah no, got it, it's a flip flop!'

;)

Edited by Daft Blazer

You played Imperials and died to an MC80?

If you are talking to me, why yes I did. The MC 30 was no issue, but the guppy and MC80 dishing out tons of red dice love were something else entirely. Taking down an ISD with two volleys was something to behold. Definitely learned something yesterday, and I am rapidly analyzing and reworking lists to adapt, but I am definitely impressed by the new reb line up.

You played Imperials and died to an MC80?

If you are talking to me, why yes I did. The MC 30 was no issue, but the guppy and MC80 dishing out tons of red dice love were something else entirely. Taking down an ISD with two volleys was something to behold. Definitely learned something yesterday, and I am rapidly analyzing and reworking lists to adapt, but I am definitely impressed by the new reb line up.

Where did you play Lupine?

My no win game today was against a 3 AF B list. I'm glad we never locked horns... That's just scary to even see.

We had two of these at my Sullust list, along with two CR-90 swarms (6 CR-90s). Somehow managed to avoid both, for which I was very grateful.

Ended up running a Vic I, Vic II, Demolisher, and four TIES (out of terror of B-wings). Played round 3 against the guy who took second overall (dual VSD-carriers with a TA/Tie Bomber Rhymer ball). It was an all-out slugfest, colliding VSDs punching each other in the face. Ended up losing 2-8. Replayed the game about six times in my head last night. Definitely wasn't as aggressive as I needed to be in the round, so it was a good learning experience. :)

Met lots of great people, had three great games against class opponents, and had a great time. Ashburn, VA.

Edited by Rythbryt

It may have been an attempt to seat everyone with limited table space... Or the TO was playing Imperial, and didn't want the **** rebels running awayall game. :D

Nah. The TO did not play. I think it was an honest mistake on his part.

Hey; so a serious question for you guys.  In my 2nd game, the opposing rebel player deployed his Whale on his far left flank, almost touching the board edge. (remember, 3'x3' matches).  On his first or second move, I can't remember which, he went to turn in (speed 2). No matter how he did it, this put part of his back corner off the map, he seated his maneuver tool and went off.

I allowed him to take back his move.  There were 3 reasons I did this: First, because...for me, that's not how I wanted to win.  I want to win, and play to win.  But not by that.  I think he felt rushed and a little overwhelmed by everything.  Second, I felt bad for the dude.  Third, in tandem with the 3'x3' table space, this mistake would not have happened if we were using proper mats, as you would not even be able to deploy that close to table edge.

Thoughts on me allowing this?

Absolutely the right call. There was a few people who showed up to play that clearly didn't have as much seat time as they needed. One guy had two commanders in his fleet. His opponent allowed them to take one out, and replaced the value of him with additional fighters.

A little good will goes a long way with building a community.

Edited by Stasy

We had a small turn out. Only four players. I attributed that to the fact that roughly four stores,all within an hour drive of each other, were running the tournament at the same time.

That being said it was a good time. Three players including the TO played, we had two rebels and two imperials.

Imperials came in first and third

Rebels came in second and fourth.

The TO did not take a ship for running it (he came in second and took Home One). Instead he gave two of the squadrons to each player.

Had eight attend (could have had two more).

Game of note - rebel v imperial; mission: Hyperspace Assault. The rebel player was so wooried about hyperspacing next to two Victory-class flying close together that he materialised at the other end of the play area and consequently the two sides never came close to one another for the entire game. A 5-5 draw with not a shot fired!

Cheers

Mark

I attended the Massing at Sullust event at Game On in McCook, Nebraska.  We live in a small town and the Armada scene is just now getting started, so we had just four guys playing in the tournament.  Two rebel and two imperials, so a nice balance.  With a 4-person tournament, we had just two rounds followed by the 400 point final round.  I came in really not knowing if people would come in squadron-heavy or not, so I spent a long time deciding what I should bring.  Finally just decided that because I personally suck at using squadrons, I would bring the following:

Assault Frigate MkII B w/ Dodonna, Gunnery Team, Advanced projectors, Enhanced Armaments

Assault Frigate MkII B w/ Gunnery Team, Advanced projectors, Enhanced Armaments

Nebulon-B Support Frigate w/ Salvation, Raymus Antilles, XI7 Turbolasers

Tycho Celchu

297 points

Most Wanted, Fire Lanes, Dangerous Territory

I had the 3-point initiative bid because I wanted to be second player, which worked out in all my games.  That being said, every one of my opponents picked Most Wanted because they were afraid of the other two choices. :)

Game one was against an imperial player, who brought a Victory-I, and Victory-II, and a bunch of TIE fighters led by Howlrunner.  I chose his Vic-II flagship and my Salvation as the objective ships.  Pushing forward Tycho engaged the TIEs early: he died in two rounds, but heavily damaged each of the opponents squadrons (LOVE scatter and counter abilities).  Meanwhile, all three of my ships moved to the right to focus on his objective ship.  The speed of the rebels and the red-dice advantage allowed me to kill his flagship, as well as some of the TIEs, by the end of the game.  I lost Tycho and Salvation, which netted me an 8-2 victory.

Game two was against the other imperial player, who brought a Screed list with a Victory-I, a Victory-II, and a Gladiator w/ Demolisher title, missiles, etc.  No squadrons to be seen.  I chose Salvation and the Demolisher as the objective ships this time, figuring that both of these ships would die anyway but leave me with a points advantage.  He deployed in the center and I deployed to one side, hoping to get most of my force to fight his ships one at a time.  He made a mistake and pushed Demolisher up unsupported, right in front of all three of my ships.  Dead Gladiator, turn two!  But before he was removed, he brought Salvation down to 2 remaining hull.  Red dice allowed me to do some good damage, and both of the Victories had hull damage by the end of turn four, but Salvation was destroyed.  However, my opponent then pushed his Victory-I forward and was able to ram head-on with one of my Assault frigates.  Looking back, I could have prevented this by changing my activation order, and it's what definitely cost me the victory.  Our ships were stuck head to head for the last couple of game turns, and even with Advanced projectors, I couldn't mitigate all the damage he was rolling.  I lost the one Assault frigate on turn six, while he still had both star destroyers left.  A fun, fun game, that ended in a 3-7 loss for me.  As a side note, Tycho dealt just one damage the entire game, despite being in range of something almost every turn.

Luckily for me, my turn one opponent won his second game by only a very close margin, putting me in second place according to MOV, and sending me to the final match!  I was facing the same guy I had just played, and I was worried, because he had just finished out-flying me once.  I was still excited though, because I was playing my fist game at 400 points, and I was getting to use those beautiful new rebel ships!  I really wanted to keep my force simple so I wouldn't keep forgetting what the new, unfamiliar cards would do.  I also wanted to bring the same objectives, again to minimize new things to keep track of.  I brought the following:

MC80 Command Cruiser w/ Garm bel Iblis, Advanced projectors, Nav team, tractor beams

Assault Frigate MkII B w/ Electronic countermeasures

Assault Frigate MkII B w/ Electronic countermeasures

MC30c Torpedo Frigate w/ Advanced projectors

Dash Rendar

398 points

My opponent brought an Imperial-I Star Destroyer with Vader and all kinds of new toys, a naked Victory-I, a Gladiator-II with Demolisher, Assault missiles, etc, a naked Raider-I, and Boba Fett.  I picked one of my Assault frigates and his Gladiator as the objective ships.  He again deployed everyone in the middle, and I deployed slightly off-center.  My plan was to move my whole fleet to the left, using speed to gain a mismatch in ship numbers.  I was afraid of Boba's auto-damage ability, so I pushed Dash forward to engage him. That worked well, and eventually Dash was able to burn him down (his reroll ability is great, and getting two accuracies and two hits per turn meant that Boba couldn't brace against my attacks).  His whole fleet moved forward, centered around the ImpStar.  I pushed my MC30c forward and left, blasting the front arc of the ImpStar.  Good rolls brought his forward arc down to zero shields.  My two guppies killed his Gladiator before it could do much damage, and my Cruiser put a couple of damage cards on the hull of the ImpStar.  His Raider came in at speed four and took some pot shots at me, but Advanced projectors kept the Cruiser from really noticing. :)  His Victory-I was heading for my Cruiser, but was on the far side of his fleet, and still too far away to contribute.  He shoved his ImpStar in my cruisers face to try to keep me from staying out of reach of the Vic, once again positioned so we would be stuck together until one of the two monster ships was dead.  But this time my ship was turned slightly to the side, so I had both front and side arcs facing his forward arc.  At this point, I had two Assault frigates at range two of the ImpStars flank, as well as the head to head face off between our big ships.  I was able to pour in enough fire to kill the Star Destroyer before the Vic-I got into close range.  This let me move past the forward arc of the now close Vic-I, and my tractor beams slowed him down so he would have difficulty turning and chasing me down before the game ended.  By the end, he only had his Victory remaining and I only lost Salvation, though my Cruiser was badly damaged.  I won the day, and picked the MC80 as my prize. 

Using the new ships was tons of fun.  So many interesting new upgrade cards!  I really, really like the huge ships.  Iblis was the star card this game: all those tokens really helped me when I needed to repair, speed up, or whatever.  Advanced projectors really kept both the MC80 and the MC30c alive longer than they had any right to be.  The MC30c really feels like running a Gladiator, which is a fun change of playstyle for Rebels.  The MC80 was just awesome.  So many shields, and so many dice to roll!  I am really excited for the wave to hit and get to use all the new toys.  Thanks to the store for running a great event, and to my opponents for really great games. 

Edited by rmb43

Placed 2nd again today same list as yesterday. 1st from yesterday also placed 1st today and 2 others from the top 5 yesterday placed top 5 today (I was TO so passed the "TO" prize off to 5th place)

AFMk2B Garm Gunnery Adv Projectors Enhanc Arm.

Mk2B Gunnery, Adv Proj, Enhanc Arm.

2X

2Y

2B

1A

Sadly had the bye AGAIN wtf -_-

Played vs a 4 glad Tarkin List. Lost 7-3 (had a lot of blanks and 1 glad getting away on 1 and another on 2)

10-0 win vs 2Y 1X AF2 + Dodonna + Enhanc, Support Neb + Salvation. (forget if it had anything else), CR90B Dodonnas Pride. CR90B Jainas light and Overload pulse.

Well got home from a Sullust Event in Warsaw... any way we had 14 people playing and i was able to bring home a shiny new ISD :D  (we didn't played the 400 pts game) 

I took the following list with me to the event... 

- AF MKII B - Gram Bel Ibis, X17, Rhymus Antilles, Advanced Projectors 

- AF MKII B - Advanced Projectors, Expanded Hangar Bay, Flight Controlers 

- Luke 

- A-Wing 

- 6 Y-wings 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My first game was against VV list supprted by Howlrunner, Fel and 2 Interceptors i won the game 8:2 but i got a sceary moment when Imperial fighters decimated my fighterforce... I was able to kill his Flagship and Interceptors for a nice MOV advantage. 

Secound game was against 2 x AFII B and Neb-B + Tycho... killed Tycho and NEB-B but got like 7 Precision strike tokens... so the game ended 9:1

Last one was against 2x AFIIB's but without defensive retrofits CR (Dodona's pride) and Tycho with 3 A-wings..., my opponent made a critical error he chose my contested outpost and flew in right into my cloud of fighters and my frigates broadsides :) i was able to kill all of his ships so the score was 10:0 :)

Just placed 3rd out of 14 with a Screed/2VSDI/1GSDI list.

First game I won 9/1 against a dual goldfish list.

Second game I won 8/2 against a 2VSDI/1GSDI/Rhymerball list.

Third game I won 6/4 against another dual goldfish list.

Fun factoid: My opponent in the 3rd match had won both of his previous matches 10/0, so he still ended up 2nd ahead of me. Another 7VP in that last match and it would have all been so different ;)

Either way, it was a thoroughly fun day, and I ended up walking away with an Assault Proton Torpedo card (plus some shrimp looking ship), so all is good. And now, I get to go and watch Weird Al Yankovic live, so all in all well worth it :D

Despite 3 wins, I was 1 point from the top two at Comic Store West!!! Had some real nail biters. Ran my double whale and Salvation setup with 3 squadrons. Ended up 7-3, 5-5, and 6-4. I even beat the guy who came in 2nd!

A great weekend, got two ships out of it (Raider and Shrimp) and a bunch of cards, even leftovers from other tournament kits.

I just played the most hilarious and fun if not necessarily competitive list for Massing At Sullust.  Went 0-2, but here is the fleet.

Nebulon B Support Refit, General Dodonna

Nebulon B Support Refit, Salvation, XX-9 Turbolasers

Nebulon B Support Refit

Nebulon B Support Refit

Corvette B, Dodonna's Pride.

Tycho

Objectives:
Most Wanted
Hyperspace Assault
Minefields

Highlights-
Killed the opposing General Dodonna on a support refit and his other Salvation, lost everything but my Dodonna and Tycho after a violent and costly Nebulon B on Nebulon B Scrum in the middle of the map, involving 3 Nebulon B's per side in the line.  I had hyperspaced in Salvation on the outside, and it promptly died to massed turbolaser fire.

3-7, General Dodonna throws away his entire fleet to kill his double and escapes into hyperspace.

Melted the opposing General Dodonna's Whale in one turn of concentrated Neb-B fire after blocking his escape with Dodonna's pride.  I didn't even get to finish him off with Salvation.

4-6, General Dodonna dies after killing his other double(triple?) in an MK2.  Salvation (should have died) and Dodonna's pride limp away along with the fourth Nebulon B frigate.

The theme of the tournament for me?  THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!  Since we had no hope of winning a prize, myself and the rest of the double-losers scraped the remnants of our fleets together and hit the hyperspace lanes with complementary "you need better dice" consolation prizes.  Great times were had, 10/10.

Went to my second event today there was 8 players. I placed 6th but my wife placed 4th and got the squad pack. So yesterday I got a mc80 and raider and today she got the squads so we got three out the five new wave 2 expansion this weekend. I'm plenty happy with how this weekend turned out

Came second in my event and was hoping that the winner wouldn't pick the ISD as he had already won one the day before and I only play imperials. Instead he took his second ISD :-(

I could have taken Home One but the poor lad that I'd spent weeks playing before hand in friendlies and convincing I was rubbish, only to table him in my first match, looked so down beat that I opted for the raider. I feel that I lost out a it really, but got a moral victory............maybe

Came second in my event and was hoping that the winner wouldn't pick the ISD as he had already won one the day before and I only play imperials. Instead he took his second ISD :-(

I could have taken Home One but the poor lad that I'd spent weeks playing before hand in friendlies and convincing I was rubbish, only to table him in my first match, looked so down beat that I opted for the raider. I feel that I lost out a it really, but got a moral victory............maybe

The moral victories are always the best sort of victories.

I attended two Sullust events this weekend. With Imperials:

VSD 
Glad
Rhymer
Howlrunner
3xTies
1xBomber 

Won the first 10-0, 10-0, 4-6, then won the second 10-0, 9-1, 10-0.

Pretty happy with the results and how the list played. Played as the second player every game, mostly Precision Strike, which seems to be a pattern.

Two memorable games with Minefields. First vs 3xGlads, which end up as a cat and mouse game around a central minefield, where only fighters were destroyed and my ships never fired a shot. The second was a similar match vs a VSD and 3xGlads. This went much better for me as my opponent split his fleet to avoid a cat and mouse game.

With a VSD clocking in at 150+ points, it proved a tasty target. My first two games it survived with 1 hullpoint and 2 hullpoints left. I learnt my lesson and kept it safe for the rest of the games and let my Glad deal the majority of the damage while the VSD acted mostly as a carrier. 

Couple of amusing situations where, during Precision Strike missions, for some reason decided to flip damage cards rather than destroying a ship outright only to have that ship survive the battle.

Even had a Rebel player in the second event that had only played 2 games before and built the list THAT MORNING before the event with help of the other players. Didnt really know what his plan was and lost the first game tragically, only to smash his next two opponents and finish 2nd!! Evidently picked up the concept very quickly and applied what he had learnt, catching his two opponents off guard (both experienced players ill add).  

Unfortunately for both events, the final 400pt game was not possible due to time restraints (long games due to newish players and late starts). I think everyone was looking forward to the final game but after 6+ of gaming, the prospect of building a 400 point list with cards people didnt know then playing a 2hour+ game for 1st place was daunting. Add in that 3rd and 4th place had to sit and wait that game out to get their prizes, both TOs suggested 1st and 2nd pick first and second respectively and all parties agreed / were happy. And at the end of the day if everyone has had a good day and go home with something then thats what counts.  

Had a great time in both events with little conflict amongst the players, Armada seems to feel much more casual than other game systems at tournament/event level. And I finished the weekend with two ISDs :-D  

Edited by grg86

Yesterday I went to an event that had 17 people in Chatsworth, CA (just north of Los Angeles). Really fun time!

They announced they were only doing 2 rounds due to time constraints, but it ended up allowing me to make my friend's birthday celebration, so it was all good.

I ended up getting 5th after betraying my Rebels and playing Imperials. Won the first game 10-0 against a newer player using Rebels. Second game I lost 3-7 against an almost exact mirror match list. The two key moments that lost me the game: Round 2 when my Vic tried to ram his Glad purely so it wouldn't move into close range of his other ships, but was a few millimeters short of the ram; I could've tried a desperate maneuver at the end of reducing my other Vic to speed 0 to avoid getting into close range and buy another turn to open fire (definitely not a sure thing, but would've been better).

Anyway, it was a good time, everyone was very nice. I just wish I had time to play in other events this weekend!