Stasy

Sullust Stories (Share away!)

Had 6 people at the tourney today.

I finished 4th with a vggg list.

Vsd had screed

Glad - demolisher, yularen, engine techs, acm

Naked glad naked glad

We played 2 rounds.

I lost first round 3-7. I played against 2 nebs and a cr90a plus 6 squadrons with superior positions as objective. He had yavaris, redemption and dodonnas pride. Alone with that 6 squadrons, 1 b, Dutch, 2 X wings, and 1 a.

We didn't exchange fire until round 3 as he was speed 1 and I was speed 2. Round 3 we exchanged long range fire and since my fleet is about close range I sped up to 3. Demolisher went in first, but only was able to hit with red out of the front, just a hair too short for a side hit into yavaris. He then used yavaris with a squadron token to send 3 squadrons and then rolled a 3 damage from his side arc to finish demolished off.

Rest of round 3 was us throwing red dice at each other's front arcs.

Round 4 had my naked Glads at range 1 and I tabled both his nebs. All he had was the cr90a and all 6 squadrons. Sadly, my vsd was plowing through where all of his squadrons but 1 were parked and he plinked me to death along with some fire from the cr90 in the 5th round to end it. There was no point in doing round 6 as neither his fighters nor my ships were in range of anything.

Next match I tabled my opponent in another superior positions match. I also had 2 tokens for a mov of 330.

His fleet consisted of 4 X wings, 1 af, 1 neb, and 1 cr90. I don't recall his upgrades. I didn't lose any ships and it was pretty lopsided.

The final battle for the top 2 players consisted of 1 vsd, bosk, boba fett and 4 ties along with the wave 2 ships vs 1af, 2 b, 2 X, and Han Solo with the 2 wave 2 ships. Imperials won.

It was ackbar vs Vader and Vader came out on top.

The rebel player did the side moving train and for some reason he took the laser reroute card on his mc80 and no defensive upgrades. He also added the upgrade that allows for precision to count as damage. It ended up with the isd hitting from its front arc 2 times (round 4 and 5) and taking out the mon cal while the mon cal only got 1 broadside in. Sade part is, in round 4 the mon cal could have fired on the isd but instead he 1 shot the raider.

The new cards and squadrons are really going to open up a huge variety in options and the gameplay is just going to be so much fun.

I walked away with the raider for 4th place and a rogue squadron pack as the TO. Lastly, the store owner will give me the rest of wave 2 when it arrives as a thank you for being a to and for demo-ing armada and imperial assault over the last few months.. It was very generous of him!

Had a great time and more people are becoming interested in the game--new faces in this tourney. We are going to start a league to encourage play and visibility of the game.

Edited by Reiryc

You are going to love how my Sullust event story ends of you listen to Intensify Forward Firepower. It's ... fitting.

Flew off the table eh?

Hahaha surprisingly no, but even better than that, I think. I'm not going to spoil it though. I will say it was a really fun event and I hope FFG keeps offering up cool stuff like this.

I will say that I think the quality of the pre-paints and the models are improving after the first wave (though I liked the AF rebel-side, the Neb B kind of left me cold until I remounted and repainted it).

The MC30 is quite nice, especially with that little city-looking thing on top (almost a callback to the insanity of Gothic ships). Apologies for the basic photos, I don't have all my stuff with me right now:

t2Li3xq.jpg

ERLzuvZ.jpg

Indeed, all the new ships are very nice quality. The rogues are all that nice quality heavy plastic too and didnt at all feel small for being only one to a base.

The top two fight here was brutal. ISD, Vic, Glad, 4 bombers, Boba and Dengar vs Home One, Scout Frigate, AFmk2, and 4 A Wings. Poor ISD didnt get into arc for the.first 3 turns because of a forgotten speed dial. Rebels smashed all the imps and only the ISD was left with 5 hull. That MC80 is a beast!

Victory with Victories in Albany NY with:

Vic1, Dominator, Motti

Vic 1, Enhanced Arms

Vic 1, Enhanced Arms

2x Tie Fighter Squadrons

2 questions:

1. What size mats did you guys all play on?  Our T.O. had us playing on 3' x 3' mats. I was expect 4'x3' or 5'x3'.  I feel like this gave me quite an advantage, as it didn't give more fast/mobile lists much room to flank me.

2. Is anyone collating data of ships present for meta trending?

Edited by Rocmistro

We played today at the Game Kastle in Santa Clara, California (south SF Bay area). We had nine players turn out, with a decent mix of 6 Imperial players and 3 Rebel players. I ended up going undefeated in the first three games, and we ended up not doing the Sullest match because we were all stupidly tired and didn't want to make three players wait around and watch the game (two were rank 3 and 4, one was the ride for the 3rd ranked). All three of my matches I was first player, and picked Superior Positioning for all three games.

First game I played was Imp vs Imp. I had 1 VSD-II, 2 GSD-I's (one demolisher), a pair of TIE-Bombers, and a TIE Fighter. My opponent had a VSD-II, a Demolisher, with a massive Rhymer ball. Ended up tabling him on round 5, all three of my ships in one piece. 

Second game was Imp vs Imp again. Another Rhymer ball list, with 2 VSDs instead. This time I lost my flagship, but both of my GSDs were able to get behind the enemy VSDs and took them out one after the other.

Third (and final) game was against my friend, against whom I had practiced my list the weeks leading up to the event. He brought three Nebulons (One flagship, one Yavaris, and one with the jerk who lets you activate twice). He took out the Demolisher, but not after it took out his flagship with two consecutive broadsides (moved into position and fired at the end of the second turn, third turn started the activations and fired again before zipping away), and then damaged his Yavaris with another broadside. The other Gladiator moved up, then next turn got to unload an amazingly lethal broadside into the non-Yavaris, then front-arc fired into the Yavaris. The Yavaris moved up into the VSD's front arc, with nowhere else to go, and was destroyed.

So, three games, each with a 3-Imp ship vs. Squadron build, won each game losing one ship and tabling my opponents. I gotta say, I really think it's the way to go for winning games.

Got my beautiful ISD, painting it tonight. Going to another Sullest event tomorrow, and I'm just going to play for fun. Would like to win again, but I'd be happy with top 4 and get a chance at the Raider or the Rogues and Villains pack.

One down one to go! 8 players showed.

Ran my 2 VicIs naked,Demolisher, with Motti & my mini Rhymer ball with the good Major, a TIE Bomder, Fel, & TIE Advanced. 291pts.

So game 1 I scored 5-5 (2 AFMKII, & aCR90, **** rebels ran from me all game, beat him by one dead squadron, but not enough to avoid the draw.)

Game 2 I scored a 7-3 win (VVG list with 3 ties, best game of the night, especially as my opponent was a member of my now regular Armada group, and he went on to take 1st place with 20.)

Game 3 lost 4-6 to the TO, (VGG 3 ties. My dice were very disappointing in this game, so I got new ones for tomorrow's Sullust.)

16 total score.

Top score: 20, ISD + spring tournament kit.

2nd: 18 (strength of schedule), Home One + spring tournament kit. (TO)

3rd: 18, Raider + spring tournament kit.

4th: 2 tied at 17, and agreed to split Rogues & Villains

Thanks to a generous TO, I received the MC30, I guess he didn't feel right taking 2 packs when he got to play too.

Sadly no final round tonight, too many couldn't stick around after the 3rd round. Spouses who hate Armada are not conducive to growing the local community. (Not mine, she thinks my gaming is cute... How lucky am I?)

The entire point of this thing is to play the final round so we can get some war stories of the new ships.

As a fellow Australian disappointed to not get Sullust either, the idea of people having to wait around and watch 2 people play a game with new ships (so lots of fumbling and checking details) sounds utterly terrible and not fun at all.

Which is why if i get a top table tomorrow i am going to try and get 3rd and 4th place to run with us - make a nice 400 pt 2v2 battle. :D

We did that today.  We only had 4, so at the end we did a 2v2 400pt per side battle.  It was quite fun.

Victory with Victories in Albany NY with:

Vic1, Dominator, Motti

Vic 1, Enhanced Arms

Vic 1, Enhanced Arms

2x Tie Fighter Squadrons

2 questions:

1. What size mats did you guys all play on? Our T.O. had us playing on 3' x 3' mats. I was expect 4'x3' or 5'x3'. I feel like this gave me quite an advantage, as it didn't give more fast/mobile lists much room to flank me.

2. Is anyone collating data of ships present for meta trending?

Game space is 6x3. So if it was two 3x3 mats, then that is the correct play area size for the game.

If only a single 3x3, the that isn't the correct size.

Edited by Reiryc

Well, another day, another Massing at Sullust tournament.  I wrote 2 posts on my blog: one about the swiss rounds and one for the final game.  Both have plenty of pictures.

One more tournament tomorrow.  Can I make it through all 3 without losing a match?

Well, another day, another Massing at Sullust tournament.  I wrote 2 posts on my blog: one about the swiss rounds and one for the final game.  Both have plenty of pictures.

One more tournament tomorrow.  Can I make it through all 3 without losing a match?

Great. . . I have to go against this tomorrow. . . 

I played at my local LGS today.  I brought a double Assault Frigate list with a corvette and 3 A-Wings for the Swiss.  I was 5th going into the final round, but I managed to table my opponent getting me 10 tournament points putting me into second.

I played Rebels in the final match with the Assault Cruiser, the Scout Frigate, Han, an Assault Frigate Mk2 B, Tycho and a Y-Wing.  I did not think I would make it, so I really just threw things together with out thinking (In the future, I would have taken some other rogue than Han and enhanced armaments instead of the Y-Wing).  I barely managed to scrape by with a win against the Imperial player because at the end, Home One had taken no hull damage (just lost all its shields a couple times) while the ISD had taken 7 hull (Mostly because of an opening salvo attack with ackbar on turn 2 for 11 dice from the MC80).  Only squadrons were left otherwise.  With Opening Salvo, I ended up winning by around 27 points (half the ISD got me there).  MVP of the match had to be the MC30 when it managed to use Ackbar's bonus to kill a damaged victory and to ram the raider for its last hull point.

You are going to love how my Sullust event story ends of you listen to Intensify Forward Firepower. It's ... fitting.

Flew off the table eh?

Hahaha surprisingly no, but even better than that, I think. I'm not going to spoil it though. I will say it was a really fun event and I hope FFG keeps offering up cool stuff like this.

Haha, I can guess where this is going DT. Look forward to hearing about it on the next IFF!!

Played the first round against Alpha17's list using two AFIIbs (one with EA, AP, and GT, other swapped EA for XI7) a CR90A with Jaina, Dodonna, EA, and a CR90B with Ion Pulse cannon (I think?)  Second game was against a pair of carrier AFIIs and multiple B and A wings.  I had Hyperspace assault and was hauling the mail down the field, then jumped my other AF in behind his lines.  His AF's bugged out to reposition, but it left his fighters alone.  A concentrated attack from all of my ships eventually dropped two A wings and a B wing, where upon I turned towards the OPPOSITE board edge and conserved points.  a 6-4 win, but still a win.

Final round, it is me playing Rebs vs a guy who had brought Rebs for the day, but had experience with Imps, so he built them.  Mission was Dangerous Territory.  I ran Defiance with Electronic Counter Measures, Advanced Projectors, XI7, Antilles; Jaina's Light with EA, a CR90a with Projecter experts, and the MC30 with Turbolaser reroute and Foresight, and Han the Man.  We had somehow set up the terrain with all of it on one side of the board, and me with easy access to all of the tokens.  I think to myself, "well, I can just go scoop these up and hide in a corner, but screw it.  I already have my prize, LET'S CHUCK SOME DICE!"  I was really glad I did, too.  Not only was it more fun that way, but other players were voicing just how eager they were to see the slug fest between the Imperial and the 80, and I am so glad we gave them a good show!

His ISD2 is built for carrier detail, and holy crap is he carrying.  Something like 4 bombers, Rhymer, Baron Fel, a couple of Interceptors, Bossk, and the Fett.  The ISD comes screaming in at Spd 3, annihilates the MC30 (after I got off a couple of good shots with the Turbolaser Reroute and stripped off the side shields and I think one of the back shields of the ISD and gets a chunk of the Raider - holy smokes is that a good upgrade!) and starts RAMMING the Defiance.  Meanwhile, I am just HURLING fistfuls of dice at it from the Defiance like Zeus playing Liam Neeson's role in Taken.  Just hitting it for 8-10 point shots over and over again.  Meanwhile he is hitting me for the same.  Those ECM's kept me in the game, no question, because he is using those heavy turbolasers like they are going out of style.  Meanwhile, one Corvette is chilling back, and from 3rd turn on I was spamming Repair commands on the Defiance and the Vette, and there was no way even the ISD at blue range WITH RAMMING could keep up with my heals.  He would strip the shields from a whole face (and a couple of others) and I'm just healed to full again.  Ackbar swings from around the far side of the Defiance to bring it to 7 points of damage, and one last activation by the big guy brings the Emperor's dreams of conquest to a smoldering ruin.  And with that, peace and order were restored to the galaxy.  Then it was all like:

Yub nub
eee chop yub nub
ah toe meet toe pee-chee keene
g'noop dock fling oh ah
Yah wah
eee chop yah wah
ah toe meet toe pee-chee keene
g'noop dock fling oh ah
Coatee chah tu yub nub
coatee chah tu yahwah
coatee chah tu glowah
allay loo ta nuv
Glowah
eee chop glowah
ya glowah pee chu nee foam
ah toot dee awe goon daa
Coatee cha tu goo (Yub nub!)
coatee cha tu doo (Yahwah!)
coatee cha tu too (Ya chaa!)
allay loo ta nuv
allay loo ta nuv
allay loo ta nuv
Glowah
eee chop glowah
ya glowah pee chu nee foam
ah toot dee awe goon daa
Allay loo ta nuv

Pretty flippin epic.

A Sullust event I went to today was a lot of fun, though it was a match too much for me. If we had had a dinner break between the regular matches and the final, I think I could have reset and put up a fight, but as it was, I stunk it up. I'd tell you the details, but all they would confirm is that I played terribly. The ISD is fearsome, but still has the same weakness of the other empire forces in that it chases. In a game where you shoot first and them move, it takes more fines to make that work than I had. I usually play rebels.

Edited by homedrone

Had 6 people at the tourney today.

I finished 4th with a vggg list.

Vsd had screed

Glad - demolisher, yularen, engine techs, acm

Naked glad naked glad

We played 2 rounds.

I lost first round 3-7. I played against 2 nebs and a cr90a plus 6 squadrons with superior positions as objective. He had yavaris, redemption and dodonnas pride. Alone with that 6 squadrons, 1 b, Dutch, 2 X wings, and 1 a.

We didn't exchange fire until round 3 as he was speed 1 and I was speed 2. Round 3 we exchanged long range fire and since my fleet is about close range I sped up to 3. Demolisher went in first, but only was able to hit with red out of the front, just a hair too short for a side hit into yavaris. He then used yavaris with a squadron token to send 3 squadrons and then rolled a 3 damage from his side arc to finish demolished off.

Rest of round 3 was us throwing red dice at each other's front arcs.

Round 4 had my naked Glads at range 1 and I tabled both his nebs. All he had was the cr90a and all 6 squadrons. Sadly, my vsd was plowing through where all of his squadrons but 1 were parked and he plinked me to death along with some fire from the cr90 in the 5th round to end it. There was no point in doing round 6 as neither his fighters nor my ships were in range of anything.

Next match I tabled my opponent in another superior positions match. I also had 2 tokens for a mov of 330.

His fleet consisted of 4 X wings, 1 af, 1 neb, and 1 cr90. I don't recall his upgrades. I didn't lose any ships and it was pretty lopsided.

The final battle for the top 2 players consisted of 1 vsd, bosk, boba fett and 4 ties along with the wave 2 ships vs 1af, 2 b, 2 X, and Han Solo with the 2 wave 2 ships. Imperials won.

It was ackbar vs Vader and Vader came out on top.

The rebel player did the side moving train and for some reason he took the laser reroute card on his mc80 and no defensive upgrades. He also added the upgrade that allows for precision to count as damage. It ended up with the isd hitting from its front arc 2 times (round 4 and 5) and taking out the mon cal while the mon cal only got 1 broadside in. Sade part is, in round 4 the mon cal could have fired on the isd but instead he 1 shot the raider.

The new cards and squadrons are really going to open up a huge variety in options and the gameplay is just going to be so much fun.

I walked away with the raider for 4th place and a rogue squadron pack as the TO. Lastly, the store owner will give me the rest of wave 2 when it arrives as a thank you for being a to and for demo-ing armada and imperial assault over the last few months.. It was very generous of him!

Had a great time and more people are becoming interested in the game--new faces in this tourney. We are going to start a league to encourage play and visibility of the game.

Pretty sure I was Reiyc's first opponent, as that's exactly what happened (Other than the likely minor differences in recollection.) (As well as the Imperial new wave player) Fleet was this: http://armada.fabpsb.net/permalink.php?sq=r3c2o8s1f9r4s1f3r1o3f7r15r14r12r11r6r6I screwed up the order with an Engineering and Squadron, which otherwise likely would have taken another of the Gladiators out, before my Nebs got blasted to smitherines. Nice ramming trick, nothing I could do but hit you on my turn. That last parting shot 5/8 chance to kill the Victory and win, and it did. 59 point victory after that, though I probably had more, as there were a few more shots that I didn't think of with superior positions.

My second fight was against 2 AFM2s (Gallant Pride being one), and A Neb B and 4 A-Wings (inc Tycho). Went with slow speeds again 1/2 keeping Yavaris back a bit, that's about when the hairball started. Wedge flying next to Dutch took the brunt of that, but a squadron command from my speeding (Intel sweep) objective corvette, and Yavaris Took out 2 A-wings the first round (Had expected most of them). The 4th dutch neutralized the remaining 2 A-wings, which freed the B-Wing, and an X-Wing, to go help pound on the Gallant Pride. That blew up. Then it became a chase the Neb B, with increasing speed, and the other AFM2 just managing to avoid going off the table, while taking some fighter damage. Overall losses: Wedge and Tycho, for the AF2, all the A-wings, plus the intel. So 199 point victory.

The Wave 2 match, I had the base set for imperials and fighters. So I decided to be Imps. (Actually everything was new stuff or core, no facy ties used.)

He had Indepenence as his MC80.

ISD had some defenses, The VSD was simply for fighter support, love that long range. The raider, well yeah, my piloting was bad.

Rebels tried to shimmy along the side, with Ackbar. AFM2, MC30, MC80, with the starfighters near the MC80, and Han out front.

Around turn 3, the furball started, with the Vic, sending TIESs into engage the starfighters, and the Villians going in on their own. Some of the TIEs were generally only engaged with the B-Wings. Bossck and Boba hit the X-wings (one was Luke). I think by the time that first furball was done, the B-Wings were hurt, One of the X-wings was dead and the other hurting. 4 Black anti-fighter dice is scary good vs generic fighters (The lack of accuracy vs uniques isn't so great, with either brace or scatter) (Now I remember, Bossck got the generic X-wing with some damage via a TIE, with 4 damage). The Raider did get luke as I recall on turn 4. So at the end of Turn 4, Boba was engaged with a B-wing, near the MC80, a TIE was there, and the rest of the fighters were down. 

I tried to be fancy with the raider, turn 3 rammed the VSD, and then trying to twist around, got right at point blank of the MC80, which was out of range of the ISD at that time, but the ISD hadn't moved. He could have moved the AFM2 first. Thankfully for me he didn't. At this point the AFM2  and MC30 had turned. (I'd missed a nice frontal full firepower shot at the MC30 by not activating first.) AFM2 was out of range, MC30 was in range, but wasn't worried, so spend defense tokens. The ISD didn't have any internals, but it's shilds were helped by redundant shields (and engineering). The MC80 absolutely was scary. Throwing 7 Reds (with the +1 from linked turrets) He moved into Blue or Red range after blowing up the Raider. (I'd held the ISD till my last)  I got some good hits in, but the shields held. (Barely!) After the AFM2 moved, I activated first, with the ISD. Full frontal, and side, throwing 5? damage internally. (No crits). I then planned to ram, but looking might not have, and the turn after would have been dicey with the side. Instead I turned the other way and ended up half in front of the MC80. Leaving it nowhere to go. However, my back was in side arc. I took 4 internals (no crits - contain was the only defense token not accuraccied.) Then with the postion, nothing he could do, Ram/damage. Then It was the VSD with yet another squadron command. Boba said die to the 1 hull of the B-wing. and did 1 damage to the MC80. I activated a TIE, which didn't kill it, then Bossck came in, and no more Ackbar! The Rebels were no longer throwing crazy side salvos. (Even the AFM2 was at 5? Reds). At that point the only things that would have been able to engage in the 2 turns left were the TIEs/Villians and Han (who was already a bit toasty, the Falcon was about to let him down.) So we called it.

I think the VSD fired directly on something once-a fighter squadron. The rest was all spamming squadron dials.

Fun games.

I ended up picking the victorious ISD. (I actually rolled a die to see, as I wanted both about equally, but went with the ISD, I now have a grand total of 2 Imperial ships. Woo!) I've always loved Mon Cal ships, but the ISD model is so much scarier looking! It's kind of scary how you can look at 4 or 5 internals and go Meh!

Tabletop Kingdom, The Hague, The Netherlands yesterday.

We played three rounds of swiss, but the TO had decided to rather not play the finals with the new ships. Or rather the ships were handed out to the top four after the swiss and it was then up to the top two players if they wanted to battle it out for the honour. There had been upwards of 17 signups, but unfortunately the number dwindled back down to only 8 players on the day (though that still made the biggest Armada tournament I had played in so far).

I've only been able to afford two expansions so far - especially with also playing both X-Wing and Imperial Assault - and were somewhat limited in what I could field. I brought a VSD II (Grand Moff, Chiraneau, Enhanced Armaments), a Gladiator I (Engine Techs, Expanded Launchers, and the Demolisher title), screened by 5 squadrons (Vader, Fel, Mauler + 2 TIEs). I haven't played that much Armada yet, but I've grown to like this list a lot and it took me through my games while only losing three squadrons in total across all my three matches. All of them felt very tense though and it seemed that I only just flipped the game to my advantage in the latter parts of them.

In the third round I faced the only other contender for winning the tournament, both of us at 18 points, and I think our match was called a little early. We were obviously aware that we were competing for winning the tournament, making all decisions a little bit more difficult, so when there were ten minutes left before time and everyone else were done with their matches, we turned to the TO, to ask if we were to start another round and if we would get to play that round to to end after time was called. The TO asked us not to continue and the match then ended in a 5-5, both of us drawing equal at 23 tournament pts. (I had a higher MoV, but since we wanted different ships it didn't matter much).

We decided, that instead of playing a whole new - and somewhat pointless - game with the new ships (including the time to open it and set it up), to rather see what would have happened if we had finished that last game of the 3rd Swiss round. It was still on the table so we just continued were we had left off. Basically I took out my oppenents two corvettes in the following round, leaving one Assault Frigate against my nearly unscathed fleet (Soontir Fel was my only casualty that game), flipping the final results to a 8-2 in my favour (my opponent had earned quite a few VPs from the objective). Now this result didn't change anything for me, but it only goes to show the importance of timing in tournaments, in that my opponent in that match would have been pushed to third place and another player would have been #2 and walked away with the Home One.

Edited by Cremate