Sign in to follow this  
Stasy

Sullust Stories (Share away!)

I figure I'd start a thread where we can share our experiences this weekend.

My Friday tournament was a 4 person turnout during a MTG draft night. 3 Rebels, 1 Imperial; we played 2 rounds and since the shop was closing up and the 2nd place guy had already lied to his wife (he was at work...::wink:: ) we didn't run the last game. I ended up 3rd and taking the Raider home, giving the 4th place guy the MC30,as he only plays Rebels.

I lost my first match 0-10 and won my 2nd game 9-1. Both against Rebels...creepy, first time I've mirror matched.

Edited by Stasy

We have two going on tomorrow. Saturday. I am going to the newer game store. Idk who all will be there.... Except the one guy who I always go 5-5 with. Only guy who ever made me not win outright. Sad face. Lol

I'm passing out soon... Debating on changing my list up since the pressure to win something this weekend is gone. Apparently this is a primarily Rebel area, maybe it's time to whip out my Imperial carrier fleet.

I'd have preferred 3 rounds with more people. But hey, it happens. I understand the low turnout on a Friday night. It's tough to go after work and spend 6hrs to play.

Six players (More actually showed up but the store could only support three games at a time) played in our first Massing at Sullust today.

The first round was all mirror matches, two Imperial and one Rebel.

My VGG 5xTIE list ground out a victory with an MoV of 11 pts against a GGGG list in the first round.

Faced a GGG loaded for bear with some interceptors for fighter cover in round two and took him for an 8/2 victory. ALMOST pulled off ten points in that one (Literally one final TIE fighter squadron was 1 mm from being able to hit his last Glad for its last HP).

Final round I came up against a squadron heavy Rebel list, where my squadrons made a huge difference both for deployment AND in keeping his accursed B and X wings from being able to hammer my ships. Demolisher swung in to knock Yavaris out and the rest of my ships hammered his frigate into dust for a 9 pt victory leaving me with 22 pts for first place.

By this time, it was 11 PM and nobody was interested in playing a final exhibition match (Given overall tournament points and the fact that we'd been playing for seven hours straight) so...

FGMxDkjl.jpg

I gots me a new toy!

Edited by Tvayumat

Had 6 for the first event of the weekend. 

Surprisingly it was 5 Rebels and a single Imperial. . .Mikael who was TO was no happy about that. . . 

Well my first game was against US Nationals 2nd place shmitty, well he was running a 2 WHale and Salvation list and I went first. . . my inexperience with fighting against dual whales showed and I lost by a 8-2. Lost one of my Assault Frigates, 3 A-Wings and a B-Wing, all I killed was all his squadrons.

Next I fought the only imperial player Naboobo2000 and through his aggressive actions I was able to ram 2 of his GGG's away showing why you never ambush B-Wings. I messed up horribly and forgot to make an attack at his flagship GSD one turn and it survived. . . 

Last I fought Daniel who was a new player but really good! He was running 2 CR90's (he flew them far better than I have been able to muster), I choose his Hyperspace assault and he put Salvation, 2 of his 6 A-Wings and 1 of his 2 Y-Wings with it. He popped it out turn 3 and I was able to take it down turn 4 at the start (I LOVE going first), in the end I lost all 75 points of squadrons, but killed 4 A- Wings and a Y-WIng and the salvation. . . Did pretty well but not as great.

In the end I had 18 points, both shmitty and Theia had 22 points.

So I'm the T.O for my store so I won't be able to win the Star Destroyer but that's ok I really wanted to run this for my friends. But our tournament kit was running late do to rebel activity but our brave imperial Agents got it to the store.

But tomorrow at noon we start round one we have about 10 local players showing up not counting anyone that read my posts about the event here and on the Reddit. But I will say this the pictures of the ISD do not do it justice not at all I'm really really looking forward to round four tomorrow to see the new ships in action.

Guys, seriously...

The entire point of this thing is to play the final round so we can get some war stories of the new ships.

If this had been available to play in Australia we would have got a 16 player turn out in Newcastle alone.

All these stories of 4 or 6 people playing, sharing out the prizes and not even bothering to play the final round is pretty naff.

Sorry in advance if this offends anyone, just a perspective from down here in the neglected antipodes...

But play the final round and give us results and commentary!

So I'm the T.O for my store so I won't be able to win the Star Destroyer but that's ok I really wanted to run this for my friends. But our tournament kit was running late do to rebel activity but our brave imperial Agents got it to the store.

But tomorrow at noon we start round one we have about 10 local players showing up not counting anyone that read my posts about the event here and on the Reddit. But I will say this the pictures of the ISD do not do it justice not at all I'm really really looking forward to round four tomorrow to see the new ships in action.

Armada tournament rules allow for you to play, you just need a backup judge to make calls for games you're playing.

Guys, seriously...

The entire point of this thing is to play the final round so we can get some war stories of the new ships.

If this had been available to play in Australia we would have got a 16 player turn out in Newcastle alone.

All these stories of 4 or 6 people playing, sharing out the prizes and not even bothering to play the final round is pretty naff.

Sorry in advance if this offends anyone, just a perspective from down here in the neglected antipodes...

But play the final round and give us results and commentary!

No offense taken. We are literally hours in to the release, and there will be numerous more stories posted from people who played the fourth round.

In our case, after roughly seven hours and with the store owners staying open later than usual to accomodate us, it simply wasn't an option.

With the length of Armada games, squeezing four two hour rounds with a list building session in between is not always reasonable or even possible. 

It's not as if these ships won't be seeing casual play all over the place over the next few weeks, though, so take heart. I plan to field my Imperial as soon as humanly possible.

Edited by Tvayumat

As a fellow Australian disappointed to not get Sullust either, the idea of people having to wait around and watch 2 people play a game with new ships (so lots of fumbling and checking details) sounds utterly terrible and not fun at all.

As a fellow Australian disappointed to not get Sullust either, the idea of people having to wait around and watch 2 people play a game with new ships (so lots of fumbling and checking details) sounds utterly terrible and not fun at all.

Which is why if i get a top table tomorrow i am going to try and get 3rd and 4th place to run with us - make a nice 400 pt 2v2 battle. :D

It was the nature of the Friday night tournaments that some folks opted to not play the 4th round. I know if given the chance again today that I will be playing with the new stuff.

This.

I'm running one today and playing another tomorrow. I'm sure they'll see action.

It was the nature of the Friday night tournaments that some folks opted to not play the 4th round. I know if given the chance again today that I will be playing with the new stuff.

*cough * some folks eh ^_~

This is so true.  I have played some 1 hr CCG rounds where the final was just the top 2 or even 4.  It was so boring just sitting there doing nothing for an hour.  It would seem worse if it was 2 hours.  And that was after only 4 hours of swiss play.  After 6 hours?  That is just too long.  I would totally pass on the final game if my opponent agreed.  

It is kind of a shame that Armada is such a great game, but takes so long to play.  Same thing keeps me out of 40K tournaments too.

Duncan

This is so true.  I have played some 1 hr CCG rounds where the final was just the top 2 or even 4.  It was so boring just sitting there doing nothing for an hour.  It would seem worse if it was 2 hours.  And that was after only 4 hours of swiss play.  After 6 hours?  That is just too long.  I would totally pass on the final game if my opponent agreed.  

It is kind of a shame that Armada is such a great game, but takes so long to play.  Same thing keeps me out of 40K tournaments too.

Duncan

Mikael could give the numbers but all in all 3 rounds took up a bit under 5 hours which is really good. We never once went to time which we set at 90 minutes.

Edited by Lyraeus

1st place here, picked Home One to go with my Rebels. Won the whole thing with all 10-0's using fighterless Rebels. Full writeup later and pics of my prizes 9we had other support too), but non final list was:

AF MK2 B

- Dodonna

- XI-7

-Gunnery Team

- Intel Officer

- Advanced projectors

AF MK2 B

- XI-7

- Intel Officer

- Advanced projectors

CR90A

CR90A

Opening Salvo

Fire Lanes

Dangerous Territory

Edited by Extropia

Played today with 

2x AF2MKB. Gunnery Team, Advanced Projectors, Enhanced armaments. One carrying Garm Bel Iblis.

1x A

2x X

2x Y

2x B

300 points.

Came 2nd got MC80 :)

Played vs Gencon Special twice. Won first 9-1 2nd tied 5-5 I could of played the 5-5 better and probably came away with a 7-3 in my favor, sadly first round had the bye. Much rather of played :( Didn't play final game as people were tired so we all just picked what we wanted, but I had a dirty wave 2 list which has 3 ships all firing 7+ dice a shot out their sides at Red range.

Go Squadron ball! :)