Sign in to follow this  
Echoseven

Is X-wing Prize Support (slowly) Getting Worse?

I think the acrylics are great. But what about the other things that seem to have kinda jumped around looking for interest: the crash coin, the cloth patch, the Oversize pilot cards, the medals, the deck boxes, the cheapish, then somewhat better quality dice bags? 

It seems the store plaques for 2016 look very unattractive and bland compared with years past.

16220632581_aac07c347f.jpg

vs

swx_2016_storechamp_productlayout.png

And what about the alternate art cards?  I understand some people like the art better than the movie stills, and vice versa; but is there a downward creep in quality of art for the pilot cards?

I mean, it seems that there is a lot of really good star wars art out there and lately the pilot cards don't seem to be utilizing that as much. 

For example:

han_solo_web.jpg vs SWS06.png

and

dashrendar_alternate_art_web.jpg VS 3789367-2165440568-32178.jpg

It doesn't seem like this is really the best FFG has, especially when you look at the great art Armada and Imperial Assault is getting in their prize cards.  What's the deal?

FFG is making enough money from X-Wing that I'd disagree that "they had to save costs somewhere."

I think that it's more of an issue of running out of ideas about what to include. There are only so many tokens to hand out acrylic versions of.

Honestly, I haven't been super-impressed with the printed quality of the movie-still art cards, so transitioning to questionable artwork is more of a sidegrade than a downgrade, IMO.

I really like including upgrade cards as the participation prizes, as it keeps the acrylic rare (I wanted last year's focus tokens sooo badly, and just couldn't pull it off).

I would have prefered another kind of acrylic than yet another range ruler (spring 2015 was also a range ruler), but other than that, I like it. 3P0 as the alt card is a very nice move from FFG for the players that don't play epic.

Or a really good ha-ha to the players who bought the Tantive just for C-3PO!

I think so, yes. Even with the sub par printing on the movie stills, they are still better than the art imho. I can appreciate the fact that there simply weren't enough stills for all the major pilots in this game, let alone upgrades. But come on, that Dash card is pretty horrid, and even Han and Luke (and Fett too for that matter) don't look nearly good enough. Very comic-booky. Don't get me wrong, I love comics, but not all comic art is created equal. As for the acrylics, it certainly seems like they are moving away from tokens for every kit. RR for 2015 spring and for 2014 & 2016 store championships. Also, we used to get ten tokens per set (15 for shields) and now it's 5 and 10 respectively. The deck boxes were a bit meh, but still useful at least. Dunno if the same can be said for the dice bags. I'm super stoked that they are bringing back the coin (I think it was first given at GenCon 2013). I'd like to see them do more generic squaddie cards with the movie stills, and for winners it'd be pretty awesome if they made bases with the pilot chit 'baked into it' so to speak. Even nicely done acrylic asteroid or debris field sets would be pretty sweet. But I figure that x-wing players don't need the incentive. We'd show up for less than they give us now, I'd wager. So yes the prizes are getting a little chincy-er, but that probably won't change.

What is a challenge coin anyway?

It's a coin/medallion that's a bit bigger than a liberty dollar and has and imperial cog on one side and the rebel firebird on the other side. Good for determining initiative. First awarded at GenCon 2013 I believe. Maybe 2012.

This is one of the best yet.

Really?

One of the best yet?

Yeah the coin is freeking cool (I love coins, I back a lot of kickstarter coins) and having 3PO is nice but the rest is very average

But I guess to be fair that is half the kit

The alt art card doesn't add much for people who already own C-3PO, and I would have preferred tokens over the challenge coin. It's one of the less interesting kits in my opinion. Also, what happened to the winter kit?

Guys I know some of you have the c-3po but consider this. A lot of players wanted the card but not the whole corvette pack and ffg showed they are not douchebags and wont force you to buy an expensive  30cm ship just to get 1 card. They didn't have to do it since they will sell less corvette's now unless epic takes off. I think its really awesome. For one - I am SO happy :)

PS: Yeah Dash was horrible and too bad its my favourite guy and favourite ship rules wise.

The alt art card doesn't add much for people who already own C-3PO, and I would have preferred tokens over the challenge coin. It's one of the less interesting kits in my opinion. Also, what happened to the winter kit?

If your a regular tourney player you most likely have at least 1 copy of every card - so you could level the same criticism at any alt-art card offered as prize support

It is not important what you get, it is just important to win it

Most prices (independent of the genre) have just a symbolic value. It´s all about to earn them. Orange dice at worlds 2015? No value of raw material, but I absolutely would like to win them (if I could). Same with any other price.

Store championship kits don't usually have tokens anyway. Even Wade head of OP said this on Facebook.

This kit is amazing. Great job ffg. I especially appreciate the better judge support.

Last years had focus tokens and a nice looking plaque Edited by Krynn007

Point is with what he said don't expect tokens to be a store championship level prize. Last year XWing was the only game with any tokens.  So he is correct they are not a normal store championship thing.

Yes the plaques were cooler and I'm glad I have the two I do but I'm sure they have a budget for the kits so if they had to remove the art to add the other prizes I'm okay with that. Even though the plaque was a large part of my drive for first place 

Edited by Toqtamish

If your a regular tourney player you most likely have at least 1 copy of every card - so you could level the same criticism at any alt-art card offered as prize support

Yeah, but with cards like Push the Limit, several copies can be useful, and they gave as an Imperial version. C-3PO is unique and limited to one faction.

Yes the plaques were cooler and I'm glad I have the two I do but I'm sure they have a budget for the kits so if they had to remove the art to add the other prizes I'm okay with that. Even though the plaque was a large part of my drive for first place

They charge money for the kits, and I'm not sure the old design would be more expensive to produce. I guess they simply wanted to do something different. Edited by TobyW