Sign in to follow this  
Gizlivadi

The Treachery of Rhudaur - How are you beating this?

I've been playing this quest solo endlessly for the past 2 days, without even being close to winning. I've tried a variety of decks with no success. The 8 progress on the Great Hall really cripples the ability to make any progress in the quests, and the Time 5 in 1a feels is almost nothing. The most I've done is get 1 of the clues and advance to stage 2, only to then be crushed by the enemies. Has any of you beaten this quest solo? How many objectives ahve you managed to get? I'd love some strategy tips, this quest is really hard!

I'm fifty fifty on it with my superhero attachment deck. It is hard, no doubt and I've never even come close to one clue. Fortunately you don't need them. I completely agree it's a stern test. Some of the shadow effects and treacheries make me want to cry.

I've tried the Erestor deck from the FFG article against this quest ans failed each time (although I was testing the deck more then the quest).

Seems to me like this quest needs a lot of willpower. I'm working now on a deck to beat the Antlered Crown solo, with Elrond and Frodo and Merry (Spirit), with crazy location control. I think that if this deck works against Antlered, it should be good against Rhudaur also.

Edited by Lecitadin

It seems strange to me that they would release a decklist in parallel with a new scenario that has absolutely no chance of ever beating it. I haven't tried it myself yet (AP is still in the mail) but that's what I gather from the responses so far. I wonder how much these decklists are tested.

I would rate this one at 7, Wastes at 6, Ettenmoors at 5 and Gram at 3. The best AP in this cycle so far.

I think it is a mistake to try too hard to beat one or more of the side quests. Focus on getting a load of allies out for the extra attacks in the second stage instead. I've used a Loragorn/Grima and Ent deck which works quite well for this one. Ally Treebeard and Loragorn with healing is a key for defending Thranduil's attacks.

Edited by Anders1

Have you tried with any of the power decks, or are you trying to stick to theme? 

I gave it a shot with my buffed up Boromir deck, and crippled myself by not allowing mulligans or use of Amarthiel. Still steamrolled right through the quest on the first attempt.

The thing is that stage 2B is 30 quests points, ot could be nice to get at least 1 clue. Now, the total of quests points from clues is around 45 quest points... in 5 turns!! So, I guess that if you can quest with around 15 willpower points each turn, you should be in business....  :o

The side quests are tough to complete so I've been ignoring them. I think there should have been a bigger penalty for blowing them off. I guess there are some bad shadow effects if you don't get any clues, but then these can hit you in the first turn which is rather unfair.

This sounds like it could be an upcoming monthly challenge: complete all 3 side quests...

I beat it with my Keep It Secret, Keep It Safe deck on the second try. I don't see how you would ever gain one of the clue objectives solo - it would take an absurd amount of luck. Without the clue, I just had to deal with the shadow effects being insane (Staff of Lebethron on Sam was the key for me) but my overall solution was to avoid engagement as much as possible and keep my threat low. I built an ally army so that I could quest through the 30 quest points on stage 2 in a couple of rounds (Ally Faramir was key for this). By doing it this way, I only had to face a couple of attacks from Thaurdir. He did get a Sorcery on the last round, but I had enough attack waiting for him (Ally Beorn is a nice friend to have) to finish him off. For the extra attack caused by the Sorcery I just sacrificed a chump blocker, and the healing didn't matter enough to prevent me from finishing him.

When playing this quest solo, I completely ignore the clues as a viable strategy and just always choose the +1 Threat to locations (Sift Through the Debris). This seems bad, until you realize that the best strategy it to quest aggressively so you should only have one or two locations in the staging area at a time anyway. I basically look at the time 5 as a counter for how long I have to setup for facing the boss and questing to victory. In that regard, an ally army (and avoiding ever making Decipher Ancient Texts the active quest) makes the most sense. Henamarth or other scrying can help you plan for treacheries and player side quests can be chosen when Centuries of Sorrow hits. For that matter, a couple of player side quests buys you rounds in stage 1 that you can at least be doing something productive, since there is no hope in actually finishing one of the 3 starting encounter side quests. Gather Information helped me to get Ally Faramir which was a key component in being able to put 30 progress on stage 2. Likewise, Send For Aid could be used with a similar end result. In general, ally mustering was key to help deal with the power questing and defending and kill one enemy per round (when possible). This quest is basically a race, and you want to get as many characters in play as possible to help you run it.

Tried the quest again solo, and won. I always seem to quest for the enemy side quest. Questing hard right out of the gate is the key strategy. As long as you can get at least one clue before the timer goes away you'll be fine. But easier said than done I guess. In fact, the time where I lost, I didn't have Faramir on the field, he was paramount to all my victories so far. My threat was always skyrocketing thanks to the one-man army Boromir and treacheries (sneak attack Gandalf twice just to lower my threat), but I took down the enemies as fast as they came. Keep in mind, I do play Easy mode, so that can have a real factor in my ability to win (those extra resources is effectively makes it Time "6" instead of "5" when it comes to resource generation).

Finally I managed to beat this quest using my mono-Leadership Gondor deck. I played 2 games and won both. The first one wasn't so hard since I got all my key attachments early and even managed to complete Quiet the Spirits just in time. The second one was really rough due to enemies and treacheries, and in the last 2 rounds I lost Balin and Aragorn AND Steward of Gondor due to treacheries, undefended attacks, etc. But in the very last round I already had tons of allies in play and had already damaged Thaurdir enough, so it was just a matter of summoning more allies with A Very Good Tale, then readying all of them with Strength of Arms and quest for a million, making enough progress. Man, Strength of Arms is so good, especially with cards like Veteran of Osgiliath. In any case, now I understand that the clues are more of a bonus in this quest, but they are still possible to get. This is definately the most difficult quest in the cycle so far to me, and I am actually very afraid of Carn Dum double finale quests. 

Took it out with my mono Spirit Eowyn/Idraen/Glorfindel deck (including OHaUH Gandalf). High willpower, treachery/shadow cancellation, and enough attack to kill enemies carried the day.

Just curious - was it enough willpower to complete a side quest?

Yeah, I completed the Quiet the Spirits side quest. Having 9 willpower out of the gate with the 3 heroes (10 with discard for Eowyn) helps greatly. Still finished it with just 1 time counter remaining. 

I'm curious, is everyone that is having difficulty with clues playing the side quest "progress effects" as triggering at any time, not just when it is the current quest?  I forgot to do that the first time I played.  Any time you kill an enemy, explore a location, or spend a resource from a hero for the "book" side quest you should be placing progress on the side quests.

I was able to get 2 clues before encountering Thaurdir, playing 2-handed.  Beat the quest the second time through, using Dori in one of my decks even!

Took a few tries, but I beat it with a Glorfindel, Pippin, Treebeard deck.  You have to get Asfaloth turn 1 to clear the location if you want any chance of getting a clue.  The time I beat it I had Asfaloth and LoV.  It also helped that the active location whiffed by discarding 5 locations/treacheries.  A couple turns later I got Unexpected Courage on Treebeard, so all three of them could quest and I could take out the quest that penalizes questing allies.  By the time Thaudir showed up Treebeard had 2 Unexpected Courages, Burning Brand, Self Preservation, and +1 defense from the Clue, so stage 2 became trivial.

In another try that I eventually lost, I was actually able to get 2 clues by exploring a bunch of locations and quest pushing with Treebeard's ability (and Healing Herbs on Pippin to heal him afterwords).

Edited by Teamjimby

I beat it pure solo with an Erestor/Grima/Glorfindel 50 cards deck (submitted by another player) and I ALMOST got a clue (a treachery card forced to change the active quest without flipping the table over).

The 50 cards limit really makes the deck give you all good cards and fast. It also has Ents, so after a few turns, you can get ridiculous attack power.

The only thing is that I had to quest for the 30 points of the last stage, so I had to throw a lot of allies under the bus.

(I should take pictures of the cards of my last turn... or is it too geeky?)

Edited by Lecitadin