Sign in to follow this  
Slothgodfather

New Hero: Erestor - deck building ideas

Those would be my choices to cut as well, but i think having an abundance of allies to make sure Very Good tale hits is really nice to have.  I'd actually trade a Denethor and something else to include either Erebor Hammersmith, Ered Nimrais Protector or Master of the Forge to help get anything important back.   And I'd trade Daeron's Runes out for Hidden Cache and maybe try to find some space for a Protector of Lorien or two.

Yeah, you definitely want to keep a lot of allies.  I thought about some of those lore allies, but preferred to keep the Gondor theme/synergy.  I also found it was hard to keep lore resources on Erestor.  I always use them from Envoys or Wardens, or move them away to the leadership heroes.  So those lore allies would be hard to play. 

Lastly, my goal is to make as much use of the initial 10 cards as possible.  The really money games are when you can get down the Citadel Custodians for free or cheap on the first turn and then use them for a Very Good Tale to bring out Gandalf or Faramir.  I've simulated a few dozen openings on Rivendell Councilroom, and a few times I have been able to hit that sweet spot and get out like 8 allies costing a combined 20+ on the first turn.  Those lore allies are mostly wasted because it's very difficult to get a 2nd lore resource on the first turn.  Daeron's Runes are also good for the first turn because there are inevitably some cards you can't play, so getting 2 or 4 extra cards exponentially increases the chances of having a monster first turn.

I thought about Protector of Lorien, Burning Brand, and/or Cloak of Lorien, but wanted to keep the ally percentage as high as possible.  I've also found that I can typically play about 3 out of my 4 cards every turn, so there aren't a ton of extra cards for Protector of Lorien.  Plus there are just so many chump blockers, I rarely need to defend with a hero.

Hidden Cache is a good idea though and something I might need to add.  Although it fits in better if you are running the Prospector or Protector of Lorien, which I am not.

Interesting to see that a good Erestor deck size would vary depending on the spheres you play it with. I'm waiting to see a player trying Erestor comboed with 2 tactics heroes for solo play! Because card draw is always an issues with tactics.

Hmm, I can't think of good tactics heroes to pair him with for a solo deck.  Questing is going to be a problem.  Beregond would be decent with him because you can play his attachments for free so you can use more of your cards before losing them.  Legolas would also be good to use Elven Spear.  You could use the Noldor allies that make you discard cards, but those guys are so mediocre.  Maybe you could use Aragorn and include Wingfoot to get some action advantage.

Yea, I really like both those deck ideas.   And I understand trying to keep the Gondor theme going.  Was just thinking about if you missed out on your Stewards due to unlucky A Very Good Tales, a few of those guys would allow you a chance to get em back.

The trouble with the tactics idea would be the complete lack of questing, and Lore doesn't offer very strong questing allies either until you get into the high cost range.   Erestor, Elrond and Beregond might not be a bad way to go though.  Elrond would be able to split his resources between lore/tactics allies and a starting will power of 5.  Maybe use ally treebeard and ents?  the lack of low cost questing characters are an issue.

Or perhaps Theoden and Aragorn and just always use allies as chump blockers.  Needs Wingfoot, as mentioned.  

What about Erestor, Tactigorn and Beorn?

Also, I really want to make an Erestor/Gandalf/?? deck just to get as many cards a turn as I can with Expert Treasure Hunters

Erestor works great in ally swarm decks. I put him with Elrond and Theodred in an Ent swarm deck that works pretty well. It's just tough to make good use of that opening hand. In an ideal start I use Legacy of Numenor, and then use Theodred's resources to play Steward on Elrond. Followed by a Wealth of Gondor/Gaining Strength I start off with 6 resources on Elrond and 2 on Erestor and play down a few Ents. Then I am generating 3+2(Steward)+1(Theodred)+1(Treebeard) resources every turn and can play down all the Ents that I draw. That's the basic idea.

Also, I really want to make an Erestor/Gandalf/?? deck just to get as many cards a turn as I can with Expert Treasure Hunters

My first Erestor deck, which included Peace and Thought, taught me very quickly that effects that let you draw cards after the resource phase is over are not such a great idea... 

Erestor works great in ally swarm decks. I put him with Elrond and Theodred in an Ent swarm deck that works pretty well. It's just tough to make good use of that opening hand. In an ideal start I use Legacy of Numenor, and then use Theodred's resources to play Steward on Elrond. Followed by a Wealth of Gondor/Gaining Strength I start off with 6 resources on Elrond and 2 on Erestor and play down a few Ents. Then I am generating 3+2(Steward)+1(Theodred)+1(Treebeard) resources every turn and can play down all the Ents that I draw. That's the basic idea.

How successful has this proven to be? It seems pretty cool.

My first Erestor deck, which included Peace and Thought, taught me very quickly that effects that let you draw cards after the resource phase is over are not such a great idea... 

Its to help pay for the discard effects from Protector or the new tactics weapon, plus the wizard pipe can let you protect a key card by putting it back on top of your deck instead of discarding it at the end of the round.  but i see your point.  It will only matter if your really pushing the "discard to pay for effects" theme.  The Gondor theme is better, certainly.

Anyone found use for Ancient Mathom in an Erestor deck yet? I have barely used it before, but it's Spirit, 1-cost and lets you draw 3 more cards if you time it well (or all the time in solo). Could be used for feeding Protector of Lorien in the combat phase.

How successful has this proven to be? It seems pretty cool.

It's pretty good. It managed to beat NM Journey Along the Anduin despite having to defend against the hill troll on turn 1, so I call that a success, though it required a decent start.

Its to help pay for the discard effects from Protector or the new tactics weapon, plus the wizard pipe can let you protect a key card by putting it back on top of your deck instead of discarding it at the end of the round.  but i see your point.  It will only matter if your really pushing the "discard to pay for effects" theme.  The Gondor theme is better, certainly.

Yeah I see the value in using them for discard effects. I was mainly joking about my use of Peace and Thought. Using Wizards's Pipe to save cards sounds like a great idea.

Erestor-Elrond-Gloin might be a fun way to get the Gloin deck back. With Protector of Lorien you can regulate how much damage Gloin gets while you set him up with Boots, Draught, Burning Brand, Record Keepers etc. Once he's setup, let him soak in damage to help pay for all the cards Erestor is drawing. Probably no where near top-tier, but fun enough to try.

I've been working on and tweaking a Good Stuff Erestor deck that I am quite happy with. It goes in a much different direction than the Gondor decks that have been posted thus far. It probably needs more testing but so far, I am loving Erestor. It is a pretty convention deck featuring the Heroes Glorfindel, Erestor and Aragorn. 3 copies of Glorfindels attachments Asfaloth and Light of Valinor to improve consistency. Some cool ally choices that I have found for it are Spirit Bofur as he can pop into play during the questing round and stay if you quest unsuccessfully. The Ranger of Caldoran is amazing with Erestor because he shuffles back into the deck after coming in during combat. Lastly, Hobbit Gandalf- I have just always loved this version of Gandalf when I am playing Lore Aragorn so he usually makes it into those deck. There are lots of ways to get back cards from the discard (silver harp, Erebor Hammersmith, Dwarven tomb, Stand and Fight).

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com The Lord of the Rings Deckbuilder

Total Cards: (50)

Hero: (3)
1x Aragorn (The Watcher in the Water)
1x Erestor (The Treachery of Rhudaur)
1x Glorfindel (Foundations of Stone)

Ally: (24)
1x Quickbeam (The Treason of Saruman)
3x Warden of Healing (The Long Dark)
3x Erebor Hammersmith (Core Set)
1x Bofur (The Redhorn Gate)
2x Arwen Undomiel (The Watcher in the Water)
1x Wellinghall Preserver (Across the Ettenmoors)
2x Silvan Refugee (The Dr√∫adan Forest)
3x Ranger of Cardolan (The Wastes of Eriador)
2x East Road Ranger (The Wastes of Eriador)
2x Galdor of the Havens (The Treachery of Rhudaur)
2x The Riddermark's Finest (The Hills of Emyn Muil)
2x Gandalf (Over Hill and Under Hill)

Attachment: (12)
3x Protector of Lorien (Core Set)
3x Light of Valinor (Foundations of Stone)
3x Silver Harp (The Treachery of Rhudaur)
3x Asfaloth (Foundations of Stone)

Event: (14)
3x Will of the West (Core Set)
3x Dwarven Tomb (Core Set)
2x Strider's Path (The Hunt for Gollum)
2x Secret Paths (Core Set)
2x A Test of Will (Core Set)
2x Stand and Fight (Core Set)

Side Quest: (0)
Edited by JTG81

That could be a solid deck.  There are a lot of expensive cards and no resource generation though, so you're going to be discarding a lot of cards (hopefully to the protector of Lorien instead of at the end of turn).  At least you have the Will of the Wests to give you multiple passes through the deck.  The one card I would for sure add to that deck is Elrond's Council, because you can always play it and it helps offset Gandalf.

That could be a solid deck.  There are a lot of expensive cards and no resource generation though, so you're going to be discarding a lot of cards (hopefully to the protector of Lorien instead of at the end of turn).  At least you have the Will of the Wests to give you multiple passes through the deck.  The one card I would for sure add to that deck is Elrond's Council, because you can always play it and it helps offset Gandalf.

Resources generation is terrible in this deck. I am going to test out two song of travel to see if resource smoothing can help before I go more extreme with something like Ziggy or resourceful.

Achivement unlocked, beat Deadmans dike with my Erestor good stuff deck. I lost my first attempt with all my heroes dying in stage 2b. I honestly never felt like I would lose by running out of cards since I have so much recursion in my deck.

@JTG81, since you plan on keeping Gandalf around, you could put the pipe in to protect a card each turn and his staff to add some additional flexibility/options per turn.

I wanted to try an Erestor-Outlands deck, but if you get 4 or 5 Outlands on the first turn and can't play them, well... good luck!

Erestor, Elrond, Hirluin might be good, or trade Elrond for another leadership so you can first turn Steward onto Hirluin.
Edited by Slothgodfather

Resources generation is terrible in this deck. I am going to test out two song of travel to see if resource smoothing can help before I go more extreme with something like Ziggy or resourceful.

With two lore heroes you could always try Love of Tales. Then turn Glorfindel lore with another song and give him another Love of Tales and you'll have super resource smoothing and generation. I don't know if that would dillude your deck too much though, but if anybody can pull of Love of Tales is't Erestor.