Sign in to follow this  
DigitalChicanery

Fixing wing on my Raider

Hey all, I know this isn't terribly uncommon, but my Raider came with a bent wing (it wasn't packaged correctly, so the top half of the starboard wing is bent in, touching the main fuselage).

I can bend it back to the right place no problem, and could put something there to hold it in place for however long... Should I try heating it with a hair dryer or something?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

You can use a hair dryer but VERY carefully. Most plastics have a very narrow temperature range where they change from pliable to too soft. Keep a glass of very cold water on hand to 'set' the wing after heating.

Be very careful and heat slowly. The injection molding process can induce stress into the part and you might end up with a warped wing rather just a bent one.

Good luck!

^ I came here to post the exact same things as already mentioned.  Take pics to send to customer support, offer to send your broken one back, etc.  Basically, let them know that you aren't trying to rip them off.  Be cool.  They are really good about this.  You may even get lucky and get a second one.  Which means you get to play with the broken one in the bathtub without worrying about it.

I had good luck just boiling some water, and dunking the wing in a coffee mug.  The edge of the mug was the right size that it held the wing in a good spot while the boiled water softened it up.  Let it sit for a few seconds and remove it from the water.  :)

^ I came here to post the exact same things as already mentioned.  Take pics to send to customer support, offer to send your broken one back, etc.  Basically, let them know that you aren't trying to rip them off.  Be cool.  They are really good about this.  You may even get lucky and get a second one.  Which means you get to play with the broken one in the bathtub without worrying about it.

I'd read some reports that a slightly bent wing wasn't a big enough defect for FFG to replace. It's not actually snapped or anything, just a little annoying.

My wing/solar panel is the same way.  Annoying but on mine is on the underside so I don't see it much.

That is of course when I'm not holding it over my head, running around the living room yelling "pew, pew, die rebel scum".

Other than that I'm okay.

Edited by Ken at Sunrise

Mine is doing that too, due to the way it was sitting in the package.  The forward peg holder also came loose; it tends to come out and stay on the peg rather than stay in the raider's body.  I haven't bothered to get in touch with customer service yet, since it doesn't impact it in game so much as long as I'm careful with it, but if people are getting it replaced, perhaps I should?

I have it on mine, too. Wrote FFG this week and am waiting for a reply... 

iec4-e2-b1bc.jpg

Mine has the exact same warped fin. It's not even close to requiring a customer service request, just a little blemish. I plan on trying the hot water fix tomorrow.

Otherwise? Oh so much cooler looking than the Tantive IV. ;)

Mine's a bit worse than that - the fin actually got caught under the pop-up turret in packing or transit so it now sits resting on the gun.

I'll try the D6 first for a few weeks, failing that I'll give the hot water a go.

Interesting... That's exactly what happened with mine... Wonder if its just a flaw in the packaging design.