Sign in to follow this  
robertleegrant

Colored Bases and Pegs

Has anybody attempted boiling it in fabric dye? I've done that to recolor Transformers weaponry in the past. At long as you put it in a permeable bag, the base shouldn't warp and you can color them as you see fit.

I painted my entire fleet bases using one flat black $6 can of plastic paint from Home Depot in a single afternoon. The line of paint I used is always available in every color and in any gloss level. I also painted my movement sticks as well. Its very simple, just be sure to clean the plastic with a little warm water and dish soap before hand.

Also taking a Sharpe to the edges of all the tokens adds a cleaner look. Im tempted to paint the plastic of my command dials as well.

Here is my fleet: ( Also in the case photo are the movement sticks) https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/192113-fleets-of-the-outer-rim-italianjob85’s-shipyard/

Plus it will give you that feeling that this your touch you added to the fleet. :)

That's a nice pic, Stacy.   Did you have any issue with the dials turning or anything fitting after painting?  I guess you just have to be careful not to over-do it on the paint.  That flat black is nice, too.

There hasn't been any issues with the one test run pictured. Best advice I can give for any spray paint job is cleaning the surface (in this case water works or even rubbing alcohol) and be very light with the spray.

You can always hit it with a 2nd coat if it's light, but it will be a bear to remove a super heavy coating.

The difference between the X-Wing FFG product, and the Home Based product, is transparency.

I'm all for Matt (or even Gloss!) black Tees...  But its a very different beast if you want to do something at home that is both coloured and still transparent...

That's the premium product you're paying for here...

If someone can show me how to do it on your own at home and keep it transparent but tinted (and I've experimented with Inks and washes so far, to no avail), then I would argue that, yes, its cheaper to do it at home.

But its a different product and result, and therefore, a direct comparison on which is better cannot be made :)

The difference between the X-Wing FFG product, and the Home Based product, is transparency.

I'm all for Matt (or even Gloss!) black Tees...  But its a very different beast if you want to do something at home that is both coloured and still transparent...

If someone can show me how to do it on your own at home and keep it transparent but tinted (and I've experimented with Inks and washes so far, to no avail), then I would argue that, yes, its cheaper to do it at home.

But its a different product and result, and therefore, a direct comparison on which is better cannot be made :)

I know what you're talking about. Unfortunately to my knowledge, the only way to truly get semi transparent finish like that would be via plastic used to make or possibly getting an airbrush and mixing your own paint in a really thin mix/spray. Even then it may not be as well done as if they made them with somewhat opaque plastic.

And that's your prerogative if that's what you are looking for.

I know what you're talking about. Unfortunately to my knowledge, the only way to truly get semi transparent finish like that would be via plastic used to make or possibly getting an airbrush and mixing your own paint in a really thin mix/spray. Even then it may not be as well done as if they made them with somewhat opaque plastic.

And that's your prerogative if that's what you are looking for.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/tutorials-how-tos/214539-how-dye-figure.html

Again, Boil it in RIT dye. It will remain transparent.

stained glass paint it has color and transparentness.

Tamiya Smoke spray.  It is used to tint model cockpits and looks great.

I had tried washes as well as the Tamiya smoke.  Not available here as a Spray, it seems - but paint on went on blotchy -e ven when I tried a soak and drip.

But I am glad for the tips.

Especially if the tip comes with multiple colour suggestions as standard - because then, we're getting closer to the idea of it...