Sign in to follow this  
robertleegrant

Colored Bases and Pegs

Man, I love the new colored bases and pegs that FFG just revealed for X-Wing.   Those are super.   (Where's black?  Technically not a color, but my Imperials need black.)

I wonder if they have any plans to continue that idea for Armada?   I suppose the round squadron bases would not be too hard, but the capital ship bases may be cost prohibitive? 

(Also, yes, I know I can paint them myself.  But why pass up a chance to give FFG more of my money?  It's like tithing to the church at this point.)

I'm also in the 'Paint it Black' crowd.

"I see a Glad base and I want to paint it black.

No transparency anymore, I want it all painted black.

I see the girls go by dressed in their summer clothes,

But I'm a nerd playing Armada, with too many love woes."

If you're having nerd problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a base ain't one.

Not really on board with the whole "Purple Base" idea. It seems like it's too much. Black with flecks is cool because it fits in with the theme but having coloured bases seems akin to having flame or other such decals on cars - could be cool looking but most of the time not and otherwise completely unnecessary. 

Back on topic, what I currently do with my bases:

I take the "base" portion, by which I mean the bottom stand that the maneuver tool actually slots into, and I primer it black. Matte black works better than gloss for me, but that's just my own personal preference.

Then, I leave the actual peg/stand that the ship is mounted upon clear. This was driven by my views on assault frigates, where the black colored stand actually obscures a portion of the ship from many angles (as in, a black stand for a VSD wouldn't), and I like consistency across my fleet, so all the pegs/ship stands are clear where the base itself is jet black.

I think I prefer that to the colored ones, but I am also a big fan of options, so I'm fine with the colored stuff existing and might mix/match black bases for armada with clear pegs if those ever arrived.

Edited by Reinholt

I could use some extra bases any color, because I have broken 2 and had others brake 3 fighter bases for me. and they don't sell replacements parts. and I will just paint them flat black anyway. So far the after market bases are lacking.

In other (similar) news, FFG just announced some very cool upgrades for the x-wing maneuver dial. 

I'm at work trying to remember the size of my x-wing dials vs. the size of the Armada command dial.   Does anyone think they would be compatable? 

If not, I would like to see FFG jazz up some of the Armada components the way they have with x-wing...

In other (similar) news, FFG just announced some very cool upgrades for the x-wing maneuver dial. 

I'm at work trying to remember the size of my x-wing dials vs. the size of the Armada command dial.   Does anyone think they would be compatable? 

If not, I would like to see FFG jazz up some of the Armada components the way they have with x-wing...

The maneuver dial is bigger than the command dial.

Additionally, the Armada command dials need to be able to stack, which could limit the type of designs they do, if they ever consider it.

On a side note, I totally grabbed a can of flat black paint while gathering supplies to paint the bathroom this weekend.

So gonna do my stands while the room dries and I've got time to kill. Combine that with the B2 conversion... Boy I'm really drifting to the dark side of this game.

But don't expect paint jobs out of me past sharpie jobs on my squadrons!

The idea of a base any other colour than black seems strange to me.  I can't even stand transparent ones.  I prefer to spray it black, then sharpie the edges of the cardboard to make even the brown go away.

The idea of a base any other colour than black seems strange to me.  I can't even stand transparent ones.  I prefer to spray it black, then sharpie the edges of the cardboard to make even the brown go away.

Does that make it harder to measure from the hull zone for range?

A hull zone is a section of a ship token delineated by the two firing arc lines that border it. It does not include any part of the plastic base.

having said that, I love the look of black bases

Man, I love the new colored bases and pegs that FFG just revealed for X-Wing.   Those are super.   (Where's black?  Technically not a color, but my Imperials need black.)

I wonder if they have any plans to continue that idea for Armada?   I suppose the round squadron bases would not be too hard, but the capital ship bases may be cost prohibitive? 

(Also, yes, I know I can paint them myself.  But why pass up a chance to give FFG more of my money?  It's like tithing to the church at this point.)

I really hope they do this for Armada. I too want black. Green, red, and clear would be my next choice. I haven't broken any yet, but should that happen. It would be nice to be able to buy replacements of different colors.

If we had black/colored bases, we'd ask for clear ones :)

I feel like this is what happened to magpul pmags: first we got black, then clear, then fde, then sand, and then we want fde and clear again

Hear that?

It's the ball in the can of any color you want spray paint. ;)

I mean I went to Home Depot for the paint! I tested one overnight, and it comes out well if you're able to have a place to spray and some cardboard to spray on. Don't wait for FFG, just make it happen!

I painted mine with flat black enamel paint from a model store, the finish is smooth and really recedes when on a dark playmat. Its very noticeable with a clear stand that any reflected light "reads" to the eye as light or white having the opposite effect of what they are going for with the clear (that it isn't there). I did my fighter bases as well but not the fighter stands, i'm not sure why not...