Sign in to follow this  
Reiryc

I saw wave 2 ships today...

A store running a Sullust event of any size and not handing out prizes is problematic.

A store cancelling its Sullust event (even if they also run casual Armada games) is something that might happen.

Knowing how much the kits cost, an event that has 2 or 3 players isn't going to approach a break-even point for the store unless they charge enough that they're basically selling the ships. So I think there's a difference between just not handing out prizes, and cancelling the event due to lack of attendance.

That being said, if they get 4-8, they absolutely could run an event. They might have to increase their entry fee from what it would have been for 10+, though.

My tournament tonight was only 4 people. And they stuck to the $10 fee. What a shaft that store took to host it.

That is very disappointing.  Thus far my local gaming store has hosted two regular tournaments.  In one we had four players and in the second we only had four because I, as tournament organizer, also played.  In both cases our FLGS took in a minor loss.  For tomorrow's Massing at Sullust it sounds like we should have at least six competitors and perhaps as many as eight or nine.  In this case the tournament kit cost is more and even with a $10 entry fee they will probably loose a little money (not nearly as bad as having only 4 players though).  Thus far the owner has had no problem with the minor expense, looking upon it as an advertising expense, he has been selling Armada stuff so hopefully it is helping him out in that way.  However, I fear that unless the turnout increases he may become reluctant to risk funds on tournament kits.

I'd gladly have paid 15 or maybe 20 knowing the turnout was so flat. I may come down here again, but I would have to do so for a weekend thing or schedule time off from work to come for the Thursday Star Wars night.

I debated buying some X Wing ships... But money is a bit tight. Given the expense traveling for all the tournaments.

All the stores in the POrtland Vancouver area are charging $20. 

Tonight at Red Castle we got 6 players so the store made money.

The 2 I am TOing have stated that if they get over 8 players, that they will give gift cards out as well. 

I cringe at the thought of players forgoing actual fighters and bombers and instead running modified light freighters as their squadron support.

why?

Because I can think of no examples (apart from hero ships like the Falcon or the Ghost) where a freighter has been used to engage enemy squadrons. The Rebellion always appears to have access to fighters. I would be very sad if the R&V squadrons proved to be so much better that all the proper fighters were left at home in favour of YT1300s or HWK290s.

The owners of the store should be pricing the events higher. $10 is absurdly cheap for a pre-release event that requires a 6 foot space per game.

I think this is a catch 22. It's still a VERY small crowd playing the game. I think charging more than the cost of the smallest ship you can win is a bit...cheesy.

But regardless that's a store's discretion. Charge more and you may force the really inexperienced from attending, charge less, and you may not suck in enough to cover the kit. Rest assured, the store still has the alt art cards (8 of em) to give away at future events as everyone got 2 for coming.

I cringe at the thought of players forgoing actual fighters and bombers and instead running modified light freighters as their squadron support.

why?

Because I can think of no examples (apart from hero ships like the Falcon or the Ghost) where a freighter has been used to engage enemy squadrons. The Rebellion always appears to have access to fighters. I would be very sad if the R&V squadrons proved to be so much better that all the proper fighters were left at home in favour of YT1300s or HWK290s.

they won't

especially not the HWK, that thing is junk apart from oars or as anything other than a "one-of"

Right now 2nd tournament is looking like 4 of us. Had a 5th but he got called into work.

Edit- 6 players total. Had two walk in as we were getting ready. Even split Rebs and Umps. Running a 2 Vic carrier fleet for giggles (won a Raider last night anyways).

Edited by Stasy