Sign in to follow this  
Reiryc

I saw wave 2 ships today...

Hey Lyraeus, mind if you tell me which expansions have which cards?

Specifically, the new expensive "Liaisons" (4 of them), slaved turrets, turbolaser reroute circuits, NK-7's, Rapid Reload, Boosted Comms, and Projection experts?

My video has it split up by expansion. Should be out in an hour or so

Projection Experts looks like it could be really fun. You could literally use an MC80 as a rechargeable shield battery, if it was equipped with redundant shields, as you could transfer 2 shields and then recover 1 shield immediately and the second during the status phase. I think this would be especially helpful for running another MC80 between enemy ships as it could essentially gain back 4 shield points a turn or more if another ship also had Projection Experts.  

I am also wondering what people think of running an MC80 Command Cruiser with Defiance, Overload Pulse and Enhanced Armament with Ackbar, presumably on another ship, as Admiral. That would be 6 red dice and 4 blue dice (so as to maximize likelihood of triggering Overload Pulse) with about a 2/3 chance of exhausting all their defense tokens.

A trailing Neb-B refit with Redemption pays for one of those shield transfers automatically. And gives an MC-80 an extra engineering point on a token (4+1 engineering value, 2.5 token value (rounded up to three)), which you could also use to transfer these. Meaning you can transfer two and regenerate three of your own (four with redundant shielding). I know there's not much love for the Neb right now, but those support titles are still going to be incredibly useful, I think.

So NK-7 Ions - 10 points.

Blue crit, DEFENDER chooses and discards one defence token... 10 points.

Thoughts?

I could see this being good on a big ship targeting a big ship, but the defender chooses, so they will be able to discard the one that least bothers them.

If this let the attacker choose I think this might be a bit more attractive at 10 points...

Why are the Ion upgrades always like this? Compare this to assault concussion missiles or proton torpedoes - heaps cheaper and a much more immediate and damaging effect.

Assault concussion missiles give you 2 extra damage immediately on other shield zones.

NK-7 Ion Cannons cause the opponent to discard a defense token that could prevent significantly more than 2 damage over the course of the game.

Advanced Proton Torpedoes deal only 1 extra damage, but it's a face-up card, even through shields, so it will usually have an additional effect.

All three of those seem like reasonable uses of a critical hit to me.  Early-game, the NK-7 is probably the most useful, although late game it's probably the least.

NK-7 on a Raider II with Screed would do it (58 point ship). Come in hot, roll five blue dice at an AFII with CF, and potentially strip two tokens. Even though the defender chooses, losing two of three tokens is going to hurt, whatever he chooses. Follow that up with Demolisher + Ordnance Experts + ACMs or APTs, and the ensuing round will be rough.

Thoughts?

I could see this being good on a big ship targeting a big ship, but the defender chooses, so they will be able to discard the one that least bothers them.

If this let the attacker choose I think this might be a bit more attractive at 10 points...

Why are the Ion upgrades always like this? Compare this to assault concussion missiles or proton torpedoes - heaps cheaper and a much more immediate and damaging effect.

Assault concussion missiles give you 2 extra damage immediately on other shield zones.

NK-7 Ion Cannons cause the opponent to discard a defense token that could prevent significantly more than 2 damage over the course of the game.

Advanced Proton Torpedoes deal only 1 extra damage, but it's a face-up card, even through shields, so it will usually have an additional effect.

All three of those seem like reasonable uses of a critical hit to me.  Early-game, the NK-7 is probably the most useful, although late game it's probably the least.

NK-7 on a Raider II with Screed would do it (58 point ship). Come in hot, roll five blue dice at an AFII with CF, and potentially strip two tokens. Even though the defender chooses, losing two of three tokens is going to hurt, whatever he chooses. Follow that up with Demolisher + Ordnance Experts + ACMs or APTs, and the ensuing round will be rough.

Ok. . . . I will admit. . . My MC30c's FEAR this.

Hey Lyraeus, mind if you tell me which expansions have which cards?

Specifically, the new expensive "Liaisons" (4 of them), slaved turrets, turbolaser reroute circuits, NK-7's, Rapid Reload, Boosted Comms, and Projection experts?

I wouldn't be surprised if they were broken up across all 4 ship expansions.

Thoughts?

Don't worry, you can only trigger the card one per round.  And Mon Mothma still applies.  So add in Intel officer and your golden.

Thoughts?

Don't worry, you can only trigger the card one per round.  And Mon Mothma still applies.  So add in Intel officer and your golden.

You are right. It has to be exhausted. . . Ok. . . makes me feel better. Any Raider getting that close to the MC30 will die. . . 

Thoughts?

Just caught this, and yes, you're right. Have to exhaust the NK-7 to use it... so there are limits to imperial might after all. :P I completely missed the synergy with Intel Officer, too.

But if the Raider activates last/first in back to back rounds... and has Intel Officer?  :D

Edited by Rythbryt

I'm pretty disappointed with Defiance. You would only really use that in the early turns to get B-Wings a little further out. However, I usually use that time to stock up on some tokens. I can't see paying 8 points for it. Boosted Coms, however, is a great upgrade for a good cost.

I think you mean Independence? I think it's awesome. It really puts squadrons back on the mix, especially when it's coupled with Boosted Comms. First you can use it to get those slow B Wings in position (although it's helpful with any rebel squadrons, B Wings profit the most) and then, after a Yavaris activation or two, you can use Independence again chase down enemy ships that thought they were safe.

"Haha!" he thinks. "I've outrun those pesky squadrons!"

"Oh yeah?" you reply. "Watch this"

It's a title, so it's garbage. 

you might as well take a raider with overload pulse, then use the ISD that prevents the use of exhausted tokens.

How about two Raider IIs, one with Overload and the other with NK-7, with two ISD IIs (one Avenger, one with NK-7). Pair them off as you suggested: the OP Raider softens up for the Avenger, which vaporizes. The other Raider/ISD pair strips two defense tokens a turn. It would be an interesting experiment to see which target gives out first.

you might as well take a raider with overload pulse, then use the ISD that prevents the use of exhausted tokens.

How about two Raider IIs, one with Overload and the other with NK-7, with two ISD IIs (one Avenger, one with NK-7). Pair them off as you suggested: the OP Raider softens up for the Avenger, which vaporizes. The other Raider/ISD pair strips two defense tokens a turn. It would be an interesting experiment to see which target gives out first.

That's a lot of points invested in redundant upgrades.

If Avenger is your big hitter, why bother with the more expensive NK-7 at all when you can just have two Raiders with OP, save a few points, and more effectively guarantee that the points invested in Avenger pay off?

In this scenario, even just the one raider with OP is probably a better choice than both.

NK-7 no doubt has its place, but it's not in the middle of the Avenger/Overload Pulse one-two punch combo.

I can understand you opening them up and taking pictures of them, its only a mater of days anyways.  But using them and playing a game with them?  Seems like you breaking an honor code or something.

Given that Lyraeus will, as I understand it, be participating in the tournaments, it does strike me as...unsportsmanlike, I suppose I'd say. Hands-on experience with maneuvering large base ships is something none of his opponents will have prior to event.

I can understand you opening them up and taking pictures of them, its only a mater of days anyways.  But using them and playing a game with them?  Seems like you breaking an honor code or something.

Given that Lyraeus will, as I understand it, be participating in the tournaments, it does strike me as...unsportsmanlike, I suppose I'd say. Hands-on experience with maneuvering large base ships is something none of his opponents will have prior to event.

Unless you play vassal

Unless you play vassal
Store told me no but in all honesty is it?

Is it any different than someone making a base with the exact dimensions (because we have them) and testing with that

You are completely correct.

In the article today FFG suggested running 5 Firesprays in a list.  Anyone thinking about buying five packs of R&V?  I have to admit I'm thinking about it, because 5-6 firesprays would be slightly cheaper than the bomber fleet I posted earlier and wouldn't require loading up the ISDs with squadron commands, so they could get damage boosting upgrades instead.  The only benefit of the carrier list is you can use an Intel ship to avoid engagements (and 4 more anti-squadron dice because of the Flight Controllers), whereas the FIresprays operating away from your ships can't have an Intel ship with them.

There are so many combos now, it really seems like just building a balanced list and then getting good with it will be the most important thing, as setting up and commanding well is just as important as an optimized list and helps a list shine.