Sign in to follow this  
Reiryc

I saw wave 2 ships today...

So NK-7 Ions - 10 points.

Blue crit, DEFENDER chooses and discards one defence token... 10 points.

Thoughts?

I could see this being good on a big ship targeting a big ship, but the defender chooses, so they will be able to discard the one that least bothers them.

If this let the attacker choose I think this might be a bit more attractive at 10 points...

Why are the Ion upgrades always like this? Compare this to assault concussion missiles or proton torpedoes - heaps cheaper and a much more immediate and damaging effect.

So NK-7 Ions - 10 points.

Blue crit, DEFENDER chooses and discards one defence token... 10 points.

Thoughts?

I could see this being good on a big ship targeting a big ship, but the defender chooses, so they will be able to discard the one that least bothers them.

If this let the attacker choose I think this might be a bit more attractive at 10 points...

Why are the Ion upgrades always like this? Compare this to assault concussion missiles or proton torpedoes - heaps cheaper and a much more immediate and damaging effect.

Assault concussion missiles give you 2 extra damage immediately on other shield zones.

NK-7 Ion Cannons cause the opponent to discard a defense token that could prevent significantly more than 2 damage over the course of the game.

Advanced Proton Torpedoes deal only 1 extra damage, but it's a face-up card, even through shields, so it will usually have an additional effect.

All three of those seem like reasonable uses of a critical hit to me.  Early-game, the NK-7 is probably the most useful, although late game it's probably the least.

I think Slaved Turrets will take the place of XI7s on the Salvation for me.  I would gladly give up shooting one of my piddly side arcs for another red from my front arc.  Add a CF command, and you are shooting 5 reds.  There is some seriously potent damage potential there.  Even sweeter if you have Home One giving you a guaranteed accuracy to hit their brace.  

I think Slaved Turrets will take the place of XI7s on the Salvation for me.  I would gladly give up shooting one of my piddly side arcs for another red from my front arc.  Add a CF command, and you are shooting 5 reds.  There is some seriously potent damage potential there.  Even sweeter if you have Home One giving you a guaranteed accuracy to hit their brace.

You see the advantages!

I was pondering this before the reveal. The only question was points. The points cost is just about right, so I expect Salvation with Slaved Turrets will be a regular feature of my lists.

I would swap out the Flight controllers for Boosted Coms.

Can't do that because they're not the same upgrade type, but I could swap out the tractor beam for boosted comms.  Also, because I have flight controllers, I think it might even make sense to remove one of the T/I and replace it with another bomber or with Vader.  The bombers can throw 14 anti squadron dice and have counter 1, so they can take care of themselves against anything but a massive swarm.  Vader would provide almost as much bomber damage and would keep the anti-squadron damage high if needed.

I completely understand that but at the same time I want an even playing field for people to understand what is going to go on in the final round.

The rebels have the hardest ships to use and throwing them into a situation where they have 180ish points of ships and a squadron that they know nothing about means that they will have issues competing for that top spot.

As for cracking the packs. . . Spoiling things is all on me. The store just wanted the ships to display and generate interest.

Can somebody post images in the thread or create a separate album for those of us who don't have a facebook account? I would really appreciate it.

Video is almost done. . . I want to put music but alas it will have to do without

Sorry to poop all over the party but something feels off to me about cracking all these packs people will presumably win after a hard fought event. Then add playing with the stuff before the event? Ehh ... c'mon gang.

I wanted to say something but with the opinion war in another thread I wasn't about to jump on the unpopular side of another discussion. Hahaha

Edited by Tirion

Sorry to poop all over the party but something feels off to me about cracking all these packs people will presumably win after a hard fought event. Then add playing with the stuff before the event? Ehh ... c'mon gang.

I wanted to say something but with the opinion war in another thread I wasn't about to jump on the unpopular sure of another discussion. Hahaha
Go right ahead. I don't mind being railed on. Happens all the time to me on here ^_^

I wanted to say something but with the opinion war in another thread I wasn't about to jump on the unpopular sure of another discussion. Hahaha

I have to agree here to a certain respect.  I wont hide that what I say here isn't laced with a slight amount of jealousy.  I ravenously enjoyed looking at the pictures and measurements, going so far as to save them to my computer till such time as I have the models in hand.  An as much as I enjoyed the clear look at them I couldn't help but feel a bit perplexed and unnerved.

Its one thing to take pictures of boxes and show them off.  Its another entirely to open those boxes before the event and start showing them off.  I wont say I didn't enjoy see them, but I would feel a bit chinked if I was one of the two players that participate in the last event, only to know/find out the items where opened WELL ahead of time.  Perhaps I'm only arguing over trivialities.  I know the feeling wouldn't last long, but still it would be there none the less.  EVEN if FFG is condoning it.  I would probably feel a bit cheated.

Further more going ahead and PLAYING with the ships before the event feels even more questionable to me.  I'll assume they are letting said person do it in good standing, but to me it kind of feels like your playing with someone else's toys without permission, it takes the feeling of new and exciting off the item knowing someone else handled them. Kind of like you were just handed down someones lightly used shirt. Perhaps that's just me.

It might also give a particular advantage of foresight.

I wont say I'm not jealous of some peoples luck, but I cant help but feel like that luck might be pushed too far, almost into the realm of taking advantage.

Reguardless, thank you for your efforts.  I just hope nothing bad comes down because of it.

Openning the stuff is really a whatever, it is going to get opened for that last round anyway. I suggested my store inventory the contents to prevent confusion after. But playing with it before the event is just not kosher in my view. Thankfully nothing is likely to break.

Edited by ScottieATF

Go right ahead. I don't mind being railed on. Happens all the time to me on here ^_^

I can understand you opening them up and taking pictures of them, its only a mater of days anyways.  But using them and playing a game with them?  Seems like you breaking an honor code or something.

Maybe I am different, but I wouldn't of spoiled things to the forums or take pictures or anything.  If i find pictures on the internet spoiled by other people, I will jump all over that, but things "entrusted" to me I wouldn't want to break some unwritten understanding.

Edited by Corellian Corvette

Know what would be a nice touch if you finish in the top 2? Ask the 3/4th player to use one of the smaller ships to help build the fleet. That way at least yes it'd been opened before hand, but at least you can say you touched it. Also it gives them a little bit of pride/reason to stick around for the 4th round.

I have to agree here to a certain respect.  I wont hide that what I say here isn't laced with a slight amount of jealousy.  I ravenously enjoyed looking at the pictures and measurements, going so far as to save them to my computer till such time as I have the models in hand.  An as much as I enjoyed the clear look at them I couldn't help but feel a bit perplexed and unnerved.

Its one thing to take pictures of boxes and show them off.  Its another entirely to open those boxes before the event and start showing them off.  I wont say I didn't enjoy see them, but I would feel a bit chinked if I was one of the two players that participate in the last event, only to know/find out the items where opened WELL ahead of time.  Perhaps I'm only arguing over trivialities.  I know the feeling wouldn't last long, but still it would be there none the less.  EVEN if FFG is condoning it.  I would probably feel a bit cheated.

Further more going ahead and PLAYING with the ships before the event feels even more questionable to me.  I'll assume they are letting said person do it in good standing, but to me it kind of feels like your playing with someone else's toys without permission, it takes the feeling of new and exciting off the item knowing someone else handled them. Kind of like you were just handed down someones lightly used shirt. Perhaps that's just me.

It might also give a particular advantage of foresight.

I wont say I'm not jealous of some peoples luck, but I cant help but feel like that luck might be pushed too far, almost into the realm of taking advantage.

Reguardless, thank you for your efforts.  I just hope nothing bad comes down because of it.

Openning the stuff is really a whatever, it is going to get opened for that last round anyway. I suggested my store inventory the contents to prevent confusion after. But playing with it before the event is just not kosher in my view. Thankfully nothing is likely to break.

I can understand you opening them up and taking pictures of them, its only a mater of days anyways.  But using them and playing a game with them?  Seems like you breaking an honor code or something.

Maybe I am different, but I wouldn't of spoiled things to the forums or take pictures or anything.  If i find pictures on the internet spoiled by other people, I will jump all over that, but things "entrusted" to me I wouldn't want to break some unwritten understanding.

You all have valuable points. I am not going to argue that I am excited and want to play with them to play with them but all I want is to drum up interest for this store and the game. Not to mention being able to give the community in General my opinions. Some of you like that and value my ideas which makes me want to put more ideas out there.

So, I was pondering Slaved Turrets, since it does not appear to be the strongest of cards, and I came up with one possible idea. How about placing Slaved Turrets on a CR90A in a list with Admiral Ackbar? You could roll 5 red + 1 blue from a single side arc (base of 1 red + 1 blue; +1 red for Slaved Turrets; + 2 red for Ackbar; +1 red for Concentrate Fire command), which is some serious punch for a 50 point ship that can kite like crazy. You could run 7 of these in a list with Ackbar for 388 points. That is substantial firepower, though it would be tricky to kite with that many CR90s at once. Maybe a more reasonable idea is to stick in 1 or 2 CR90A's with Slaved Turrets to fill out the last points in an Ackbar list.

Edited by chemnitz

Also, someone please tell me why a two ship list of two ISD carriers like the following wouldn't be brutal.  Set speed 3 from the start, bank an engineering token turn one, and then spam squadron commands for the rest of the game.  14 hull gives you plenty of time to chew them up with the bombers and your ISD front arcs...

Points Quantity

Rymer 16 1

Bombers 45 5

Dengar 20 1

Mithel 15 1

Interceptors 22 2

ISD-I 220 2

Tractor Beam 12 2

Expanded Hangers 10 2

Flight Controllers 12 2

Motti 24 1

It can be brutal. That is 22 hull points and 24 shields. They can in theory kill a small ship on their own and kill a medium ship in a combined attack.

It's actually 28 hull and 24 shields. Only two activations, but a crap ton of squadrons, too.