Sign in to follow this  
Reinholt

Massing at Sullust: How Terrible Is This List?

So after a bit of tinkering, here is what I am thinking of bringing to Massing at Sullust. It is a hybrid of the two lists I have been most commonly playing for the rebels:

AFII MkIIB w/Enhanced Armament, Gunnery Team, Intel Officer, Advanced Projectors

AFII MkIIB w/Garm Bel Iblis, Paragon, Advanced Projectors

CR90A w/Jaina's Light

CR90A

300 points

Advanced Gunnery
Fire Lanes (vs. Fleet Ambush?)
Dangerous Territory

My notes:

1 - I think squadrons remain weak (for now... rogue might shake things up a lot), and I think that after Gencon, I am expecting a lot of Imperial Bash lists (mostly glads rushing) to be the norm with regard to what I will encounter. Thus, I have taken a fast list to both avoid being boxed in by Gladiators and to avoid B-wing lists (I can fly away from the B's reliably). My only real worry would be a well-driven Rhymer blob, but in that case, I just have to go all-in on killing the carrier.

2 - I've gone with four ships, rather than triple whale, to make it a very dangerous proposition to let me go first if the other side has three or less ships. That allows the final ship to shoot, move in for a double arc shot (hopefully the paragon ship), then shoot and move again if my opponent is a triple ship Imperial list (still common).

3 - This list wants to go second in most situations other than the one above, which is why I roll at 300 points even. Most of my shooting prefers longer range, so making my opponent shoot first, then move just brings them closer to my guns while not letting them fire at short range first in the opening trade. The worst matchup for me would be a 6 corvette rebel list that wants to hang out at long range and chooses to go first.

4 - Advanced projectors is the pick so that I can maximize the durability of the whales. My goal is to never, ever lose a whale without making an opponent burn literally every shield on the entire ship (hopefully more than once with engineering), and to allow me to spam engineering with extra tokens from Garm in most confrontations to allow shield shifting / regen.

5 - Objectives... I am very comfortable with Dangerous Territory (please, feel free to fly through these obstacles and take damage to get to me, as going for the tokens makes it more likely to table someone and not going for them lets me grab them), and Advanced Gunnery is a trap for the other guy (I would give it to Garm's ship and then auto-activate Paragon every time I have a shot at someone).

Questions:

1 - I am less sure about Firing Lanes, as although I'm confident that in the early going I will control them, that can get dicey late against bash lists. Simultaneously, Fleet Ambush can be very good to split that kind of list up and damage the coordination while shredding the early arrivers, as slow-rolling the middle for the back to catch up is the kind of delay you want to force that list into.

2 - I like Garm with the Whales, but is he the correct choice? I could, in theory, drop Paragon and take MM, but that mainly helps my weakest ships AND requires dropping Paragon, so I think this is a sub-par option. However, if I drop Garm and take Dodonna, I have room for Leia as well and a 2 point bid... I still think Garm is the right choice but I'm open to other ideas.

3 - Is there anything I'm not seeing here that just builds in a weakness versus what I expect will be an imperial heavy, bash heavy (with a side of Rhymer ball) meta?

Edited by Reinholt

Garm always

your one evade on the fatties won't make MM realy worth it, and the flexibility they get from token spam will be sorely missed

as a screed player I respectfully disagree, mm evades are the ONLY thing that keeps me from steam rolling rebels while (in my experience at least) garm seems to too not have much effect on the game.

Garm always

your one evade on the fatties won't make MM realy worth it, and the flexibility they get from token spam will be sorely missed

as a screed player I respectfully disagree, mm evades are the ONLY thing that keeps me from steam rolling rebels while (in my experience at least) garm seems to too not have much effect on the game.

so people never dodge GSDs with well timed nav tokens?

seems like they need Garm more than this list does!

Garm always

so people never dodge GSDs with well timed nav tokens?

seems like they need Garm more than this list does!

well not when I am first player and have demolisher, even with a dial and a token they usually can't dodge with All of there ships (especially whales)

Definitely Garm.  Token spam was huge for me yesterday with this list.  So was Fleet Ambush - broadsides turns 1-2 from two fish can wipe out a Vic (and the nav tokens from Garm help make sure that you can do it).  

If you're first player with Demolisher, you're either getting Fleet Ambushed and isolated from half your fleet, or auto-Paragon'ed from Advanced Gunnery (nobody even tried for Dangerous Territory against me, and with two Corvettes, good luck with that).  You can't withstand firepower of that magnitude.  :-)

Plus, you spam engineer turns 3-6 on both fish.  With the two engineering tokens, that's 10 points of shields you're regenerating on each fish, and with Advanced Projectors, they have to burn off every single one of them to get you.  I took maybe 1-2 hull damage on a fish the entire tournament.  The only things I lost all day were a single Corvette in two of my games.  This build is metal.