Sign in to follow this  
eagletsi111

Stop the Merry Go Round. Allow Obstacle to be placed anywhere!!

The merry go round is making the game boring.     The best way to fix this is allow obstacles to be placed anywhere on the board as long as they are not within 1 of each other.     Even just 1 per player would be helpful.

Will that help get rid of the merry go round battle?   That should help promote Flying squadrons and piloting.

That way you could put one in the path of the merry go round as a tactic.

Edited by eagletsi111

Actually!   Played in a tournament a week ago where they allowed it was actually very helpful to stopping the madness of the Merry go round!

The rules were  anywhere on the table, but no asteroid could be closer than 2 from any other and not in either players deployment zones

Definitely changed the games and made them less merry go round.

Edited by eagletsi111

No.

The outside causeways insure a fair start for all list types.  Regardless, there is no "merry-go-round" problem.  The game is over in 75 minutes.  Action must happen in a timely fashion.  Two lists flying right at each other, and this being the only way to play, sounds boring to me.

Ok you do that. I'll run a swarm, I'll place my 3 on the side edge were no one will be around them, ever. Then I can batter you in a no objects map where all we do is roll dice cause we don't have to worry about silly things as asteroids. Hell I'll even take the newest ones so I can uber tiny ones.

See where this gets you?

1 killed ship = 1 new debris token. would be good too.

I think the debris clouds in this game are meant to represent the remains of much larger ships.

The debris from a destroyed starfighter doesn't pose much threat to another starfighter.

Or 1 hull 4 agi firepower 2 range 2 space mines?

Space Mines are 1 Attack, 0 Agility, 1 Hull, 0 Shield with no movement and a PWT.

Then I can batter you in a no objects map where all we do is roll dice cause we don't have to worry about silly things as asteroids.

And?

Edited by DarthEnderX

While I agree that there is no problem with the astroid placement rules, there could be an updated version to keep things interesting. I have had no problems with other player regarding the merry go round technique, so I don't have any quarrels there. However, I have see the merry go round and it's boring to watch and not really a viable option in tournaments because of the time limit (thank goodness). 

I do have a couple of suggestion to open up the "random" factor of debris/ asteroids/ obstacles. 

1) I would like to see Huge ships as obstacles in tournament play. It's legal in casual play and some TO's will let them on the board. The rules stating that a Huge Ship can replace 3 asteroids and are placed first (before other asteroids or debris). I've played this a few times and it's AMAZING! I love swarms and mini swarms and it made maneuvers and formation flying so much harder, but in a good way. Opening up the option means some people will take advantage of the new rule and others wont. This is great! I hate a stale play style, so coming to a tournament will be very different every time. 

2) Open Asteroid/ Debris/ Obstacle placement to range 1 of any edge and increase possible asteroids/ debris/ obstacles to 8. This will keep a similar play feel to the game.

3) Those "tiny" asteroids in the Force Awakens starter pack? They should be able to be place within range 1 of an other tiny asteroid. I like the idea of "creating" space lanes or "blocking" space lanes like the way FFG illustrates on the back of the core sets.

These three suggestions open up a world of new play styles. Try them out in your games! It's a lot of fun!!!

Edited by Black Arrow

1 killed ship = 1 new debris token. would be good too.

I think the debris clouds in this game are meant to represent the remains of much larger ships.

The debris from a destroyed starfighter doesn't pose much threat to another starfighter.

Really? Which is why the debris field tokens look like starfighter bits?

Or 1 hull 4 agi firepower 2 range 2 space mines?

Space Mines are 1 Attack, 0 Agility, 1 Hull, 0 Shield with no movement and a PWT.

Amount of guns does not equate firepower.

There I said it and meant it this time.

And also no they aren't as at this point unless it's in one of the raider missions (not read yet) or core rulebook missions (look i'm busy, not read yet either). Then they are purely hypothetical.

Unless of course they are in one of the special missions, in which case my mistake - i've just not read them yet.

Even then, as a hypothetical upgrade as an ordnance dropped mine, it could have 7 attack dice, as it doesn't need to be like a mission token. Mission tokens do whatever they do in the mission...

Edited by DariusAPB

Actually, I take it back.  Looking at the debris tokens themselves, it's obvious that they are mostly starfighter remains.

Amount of guns does not equate firepower.

There I said it and meant it this time.

That's nice.  But it doesn't change the fact that a space mine has perhaps the weakest and least threatening attack in all of the X-Wing games.  Not only is a single gun, it's also low damage and slow firing as well.  If anything in the entire game deserves a 1 attack, it's Space Mines.

They only represent a threat if you run into a dozen of them, and even then, only if you stupidly fly into the middle of them instead of taking them out from the edge.

As a Bomb upgrade, I could see it as an upgrade that automatically comes with several munitions tokens already installed on it, so that ships can use them the way they're supposed to, laying down, like, 5 of them(6 with extra munitions).

Of course, that's just Mine Type A.  The others are potentially more of a threat.

Edited by DarthEnderX