Sign in to follow this  
clontroper5

Vassal Wave 1 send off tounrnament results

Onca vs Green Knight

Green Knight wins 10-0

MoV 460-111=349

Objective: Contested Outpost, Green Knight played second

Was a fun game. I lose my AFs pretty early on, but my carrier af and my fighters got some great rolls and did a lot of dmg. I almost closed the MoV by taking out his VSD I, but an unlucky reroll on the single red dice from the gsds side arc killed me before that could happen. 

log: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/102269443/Onca%20vs%20green.vlog

That single shot... it proved the worth of the Glad II to me :D

Had it been a Glad I my flagship would have died next turn. I think I would still have won, but the MoV would have been much, much smaller. 

Edited by Green Knight

Onca vs Green Knight

Green Knight wins 10-0

MoV 460-111=349

Objective: Contested Outpost, Green Knight played second

Was a fun game. I lose my AFs pretty early on, but my carrier af and my fighters got some great rolls and did a lot of dmg. I almost closed the MoV by taking out his VSD I, but an unlucky reroll on the single red dice from the gsds side arc killed me before that could happen. 

log: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/102269443/Onca%20vs%20green.vlog

The MoV is actually 460-117=343.

I forgot to include the 6 points extra for a Glad II. Sorry.

POD-4

Brian_Black vs. DabDarklighter (p1)

9-1 (383-173, MOV 210)

Precision Strike

Much closer than the score suggests, had the game gone another round I would have certainly lost a second VSD after losing the first on the 6th round.  An excellent game of space hippo ballet, despite not being able to log myself into the TS server for some reason.  Looking forward to playing Dab again!

vlog:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/217710022/400Wave1Tournament_Round2_vDabDarklighter.vlog

... had to take a break in the middle of my exiting game with Gowtah. I fumbled my setup (tried to be clever, rather than stick to the plan) and the dice gods have abandoned me (as opposed to the first 2 games). How will it end!? Hope to find out tomorrow...

Deadshane Vs LukesandLadders

9-1 Deadshane victory

(400-142 MOV 258)

Fleet Ambush

Actually much closer than it sounds.  We came within a frog hair of both remaining ships colliding and destroying each other, leaving only my airforce on the table.

(thats what the rules mean when both ships are destroyed simultaneously)

Deadshane Vs LukesandLadders

9-1 Deadshane victory

(400-142 MOV 258)

Fleet Ambush

Actually much closer than it sounds.  We came within a frog hair of both remaining ships colliding and destroying each other, leaving only my airforce on the table.

(thats what the rules mean when both ships are destroyed simultaneously)

Never seen so many fighters on the table. Did they perform to your satisfaction?

Absolutely.  People need to fear the mighty Y-Wing.  Best fighter in the game. (my opinion)

L&L sure had a lot of guns though....and I still started out far too close to him (big weakness of mine is still setup)  He got too many shots off at me, and Tantive died again...which isnt supposed to happen.

...but this is a whole new point level for me.  I'm used to 300pt games, so it's all good.  We will see what happens from here on out....

I like the Y-wing. Compared to the TIE bomber its utterly amazing. 

You can't really compare cross faction stuff like that, people might start thinking that the TIE bomber is crap.

When really, its the best the Empire has, and really does adds to their ships sorely lacking long range firepower.

Compare the Y-wing to the Havok and the B-wing, and the TIE bomber to the Firespray now that we have more squadrons inbound.

I think perhaps the shift from 300 to 400 is catching some people off guard?  It does change the feel and flow of the game, as there are more ships on the board and you don't have quite as much room to zoom around as you do at 300...

I think this is a really good point; the change in size does affect the balance of power between ships and builds. For example playing vs Maturin today we found he had just enough fire power to reach the critical mass to remove a Gladiator in one turn that at 300pts I'd have expected to limp through to the next turn and unleash hell.

Speaking of which:

Matt-Shadowlord (EMPIRE) vs Maturin (REBELS)

Fire lanes

End of turn 2: Matt 0 vs Maturin 153 Points

A risky opening gambit by Matt gives all the objectives to Maturin, who then manouvres very well (and let's be honest, rolls even better :D ) to counter the attempted out-flanking and removes a Gladiator with the final die of the final shot of the turn.

End of turn 3: Matt 132 vs Maturin 153 Points

The brutal destruction of Maturin's Assault Frigate narrows the gap in firepower activations, and the Empire break through rebel lines to take all 3 objectives simultaneously. The Salvation does its legendary Crit/Crit/Crit roll against the imperial flagship, and Rebels manage to bring a Gladiator down to a single hull point remaining while also reducing its engineering value, but it manages to survive the turn.

Maturin remains ahead at half time and a sneeze would kill the most damaged gladiator, but it's far too early to call it -every imperial ship now has at least two rebels in black dice range.

Great game so far, and we hope to finish it soon.

Pod 2

Green Knight vs Gowtah (p1)

3-7 (211-277 for a 66 MoV)

Most Wanted

Crazy long game with an incredible amount of tough calls. Started really well for me with a deception maneuver now dubbed the Dodonna shuffle, but then mistakes were made and luck with dice fluctuated heavily for both of us, it really could have gone either way in the end.

vlog: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8549534/Tourney%20greenvsgowtah%20FINALCUT.vlog

Edited by Gowtah

I think perhaps the shift from 300 to 400 is catching some people off guard?  It does change the feel and flow of the game, as there are more ships on the board and you don't have quite as much room to zoom around as you do at 300...

I think this is a really good point; the change in size does affect the balance of power between ships and builds. For example playing vs Maturin today we found he had just enough fire power to reach the critical mass to remove a Gladiator in one turn that at 300pts I'd have expected to limp through to the next turn and unleash hell.

Speaking of which:

Matt-Shadowlord (EMPIRE) vs Maturin (REBELS)

Fire lanes

End of turn 2: Matt 0 vs Maturin 153 Points

A risky opening gambit by Matt gives all the objectives to Maturin, who then manouvres very well (and let's be honest, rolls even better :D ) to counter the attempted out-flanking and removes a Gladiator with the final die of the final shot of the turn.

End of turn 3: Matt 132 vs Maturin 153 Points

The brutal destruction of Maturin's Assault Frigate narrows the gap in firepower activations, and the Empire break through rebel lines to take all 3 objectives simultaneously. The Salvation does its legendary Crit/Crit/Crit roll against the imperial flagship, and Rebels manage to bring a Gladiator down to a single hull point remaining while also reducing its engineering value, but it manages to survive the turn.

Maturin remains ahead at half time and a sneeze would kill the most damaged gladiator, but it's far too early to call it -every imperial ship now has at least two rebels in black dice range.

Great game so far, and we hope to finish it soon.

Agreed.  My dice have been hot, but Matt's are warming up while mine are starting to cool.  I don't fancy my chances with the current tactical situation.  Demolisher's about to double-arc at close range on a stationary (though undamaged) Neb.   :unsure:

It's been fun maneuvering with this many ships though!  

Pod 2

Green Knight vs Gowtah (p1)

3-7 (211-277 for a 66 MoV)

Most Wanted

Crazy long game with an incredible amount of tough calls. Started really well for me with a deception maneuver now dubbed the Dodonna shuffle, but then mistakes were made and luck with dice fluctuated heavily for both of us, it really could have gone either way in the end.

vlog: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8549534/Tourney%20greenvsgowtah%20FINALCUT.vlog

What he said. My longest - and most exiting game to date.

It started quite badly for me.

I let gowtah's setup trick me into deploying in a very bad manner. From the start of turn 1 I realized my objective ship was in a baaad position, doomed to die. Why couldn't I just have stuck with the plan and deployed it on the other flank with Demolisher!? And why didn't I pick Paragon, rather than his flagships as objective??? I'll never know :D

Dice were crap...and gowtah is REALLY good at maneuvering! Him having 5 ships and going first also helped him a lot - every time one of his ships were in trouble he would double-activate it out of trouble. Sooo annoying. It was also very annoying to get an early Dodonna's Pride crit on my flagship that effectively took it out of the fight. Hate you General Dodonna!

Eventually dice started to even out a bit and ships started dying on both sides. I actually killed more of gowtah's fleet ships, but since I let him murder my objective ship he came ahead in points.

It could have gone the other way... I was mildly optimistic for a while in turn 5... if only he had less skill, less guts, and less luck with his dice... but he had all those things, and (only just) blew up my Warlord at the very end of the game. That shifted the POV with a 108 points in his favor.

All those things said... in the end I think the better player won - and I consider myself quite content with the end result. There were more opportunities for me to get squashed than there were for me to come out ahead.

Well played gowtah!

Edited by Green Knight

Ok so we are now into the 2nd week of the tournament so you shold be on your second game

I will be playing my games over the next few days. I am sorry for holding everyone up in Pod 1

Offering my apologies too, as I've held up my pod. I've messaged my opponents so I'll catch up as quickly as possible. :)

Ok so we are now into the 2nd week of the tournament so you shold be on your second game

I will be playing my games over the next few days. I am sorry for holding everyone up in Pod 1

Offering my apologies too, as I've held up my pod. I've messaged my opponents so I'll catch up as quickly as possible. :)

Oh we will get you caught up.