Sign in to follow this  
shmitty

Roges and Villains Spoilers

On the one hand, some of these upgrades are pretty cool. It will be neat to fly the Falcon from time to time.

On the other hand, I wish I didn't need a freighter babysitting my dedicated star fighters to make them more effective. It's like putting a Cessna in the air with an F22 to boost the F22's performance. It's a bit of a headscratching moment.

I'd rather think of it as an E-2 Hawkeye of sorts. Yeah, it's a 1960s prop-driven plane, but it's still very capable of supporting front line jets.

EDIT: Ninja'd... again!

Edited by DiabloAzul

Seems they made normal squadrons somewhat obsolete. Just include some of these 'heroes' and you have all the anti squadron firepower you'll need, plus they are useful vs ships too. :(

The cost though... Just including a pair of these new uniques runs you 40-50. But in the end it's gonna depend on the list and tactics/strategy.

On a seperate note, although I am a mainly imperial player, I will build a rebel list that includes Luke, Wedge, Dutch, Tycho, and Han... Rogue squadron and the millennium falcon.

-edit-

On an additional additional note... Gonna have to get some of Mel's or the like replacement models for the bounty hunters.... Because although I like some of the abilities and stats there's bound to be an imperial equivalent, say like a gunboat replacing the fire spray... Because we don't need that scum.

Edited by Indomitable

Seems they made normal squadrons somewhat obsolete. Just include some of these 'heroes' and you have all the anti squadron firepower you'll need, plus they are useful vs ships too. :(

This is the problem I foresee and i generally have mixed feelings about the R&Vrelease. Yes it will be occasionally cool to run some of the iconic characters from the star wars universe but I have a real issue with the imperial military machine conscripting in ships of this nature into their fleet. Thematically it just doesn't work for me. It is less of an issue for the Rebels as the fiction shows them relying extensively on whatever ships rallied to their cause.

I want the current squadrons to be sound options on their own without the crutch of an out of place beaten up junk freighter.

Edited by Replicant253

On an additional additional note... Gonna have to get some of Mel's or the like replacement models for the bounty hunters.... Because although I like some of the abilities and stats there's bound to be an imperial equivalent, say like a gunboat replacing the fire spray... Because we don't need that scum.

I like that idea, some of the S&V ship&character rules could work well as a Tie-Defender or Assault Gunboat squadron.

The S and V expansion doesn't come close to invalidating anything. It provides a set of options. All the ships with rogue are not as efficiently costed as their non-rogue comparables. So you can invest in a squadron command or you can invest in @3-4 points of rogue per squadron.

i'm not interested in the exact points efficiency for tournaments to the third decimal like some people here.  Each to their own.  I'd love to play a tournament, but geographical location forces me to be beer and pretzels only.  As such, I love these characters.  Having grown up with the star wars movies and Dark Horse comics, I will pick one of the the named characters **** near every time I play just for the coolness factor.

On the one hand, some of these upgrades are pretty cool. It will be neat to fly the Falcon from time to time.

On the other hand, I wish I didn't need a freighter babysitting my dedicated star fighters to make them more effective. It's like putting a Cessna in the air with an F22 to boost the F22's performance. It's a bit of a headscratching moment.

It kind of bugs me FF's whole approach to pile on upgrades and special characters onto everything, why does the Imperial navy have to fly around with civilian ships in order to make it's fighters effective, pretty irritating. Making squadrons relevant by having to use more unique characters again also bugs me.

Ah the bossk, darth vader, rhymer, tarkin (or whatever) combination has shown up to this minor skirmish yet again!

Edited by Zoring

Hello B-wings

Moldy, a YT-1300 and 4 B-wings along with the Independence. 

84 points, and my B-wings moving 4, considering enemy fighters as heavy, and you can't attack the until you kill the 7 health YT-1300...oh my.. 

Of course its not as easy as that with maneuvering but I see some nice combo's.  Sure bring no squadrons now...  

It kind of bugs me FF's whole approach to pile on upgrades and special characters onto everything, why does the Imperial navy have to fly around with civilian ships in order to make it's fighters effective, pretty irritating. Making squadrons relevant by having to use more unique characters again also bugs me.

Ah the bossk, darth vader, rhymer, tarkin (or whatever) combination has shown up to this minor skirmish yet again!

They dont Need them to make their fighters Effective.  They already are.  This is just the easy mode...  Hell, if you want to call your opponent on it and gain a measure of superiority that way, don't let me stop you.

I think the whole thing is rather thematic. The main TIE and TIE bomber are ruthlessly efficient but tied to the command structure and less capable of independent action. That's very apropos for any large imperial organization.

However, an Admiral willing to buck imperial dogma can hire some mercenaries for some independent action. They'll probably get left out of the AAR, and certainly out of the news. But the Admiral may be able to advance their career by stomaching the scum.

uh...no

see, turns out the best way to murder rogues are the normal squadrons they supposedly made obsolete.

we can't forget that 5-6 dice interceptors with swarm exist in this game, and that they are capable of killing any of these awesome characters in a single squadron command

not to mention that the anti-ship capabilities are pretty **** compared to normal bombers. Apart from the firespray, none of these guys bring enough anti-ship per cost (except the Silly Bomber, but he's not a rogue)

Rogue represents sheer utility and independence from Squadron commands at a very steep efficiency cost. They will not be replacing a single thing; they are merely offering new options

Edited by ficklegreendice

Hello B-wings

Moldy, a YT-1300 and 4 B-wings along with the Independence. 

84 points, and my B-wings moving 4, considering enemy fighters as heavy, and you can't attack the until you kill the 7 health YT-1300...oh my.. 

Of course its not as easy as that with maneuvering but I see some nice combo's.  Sure bring no squadrons now...  

wait, what does Independence do and when was it spoiled?.

confirmed, Independence is Shite-varis :P

Not entirely. Sending out a wave of generic YT-1300s should gum up most any squadron list. They don't need to attack, just get there. (IG-88 being a notable exception). But yes, many times not so good. Particularly when compared to Tallon

Edited by Tranenturm

I think there are still advantages to not running Rogue and relying on squadron commands, mainly that you get to activate during a ship's activation and before the squadron phase when all the Rogues get to move.  Sure, you can still activate a Rogue with a command or token, but if you do, you're likely greatly overpaying for that squad.

While I agree with your assessment in many ways, I think we have to remember that the rogue keyword is an option, not an obligation. It is perfectly fine to activate rogues with a squadron command, particularly if your dedicated carrier has some upgrades like flight controllers or is a corruptor. The good part is, you can fling them out of command range without any regrets, as they will stay effective on their own.

confirmed, Independence is Shite-varis :P

Not entirely. Sending out a wave of generic YT-1300s should gum up most any squadron list. They don't need to attack, just get there. (IG-88 being a notable exception). But yes, many times not so good. Particularly when compared to Tallon

Being able to send those B-Wings a turn ahead and get them into position for a strong squadron command next turn sounds great to me.