Sign in to follow this  
Kdubb

Cool Hand vs Adrenaline Rush- Does Cool Hand add up?

So I've been looking at cool hand and adrenaline rush, and I don't know if I feel cool hand adds up, but it does have niche cases where it's nice.

cool-hand.png

Cool Hand benefits

-Can be triggered with stress from sources other then a red maneuver

-Can give a ship without the evade action an evade

adrenaline-rush.png

Adrenaline Rush benefits

-Doesn't take stress from a red maneuver, creating more movement options for next turn

-Allows a red maneuver when stressed

-Can perform any action on action bar after red maneuver

Based on these points, I can only see cool hand being a better option then adrenaline rush on PTL A-wings, or R3-A2 EPT carriers. If the stress meta is especially heavy in your area, perhaps it is a better take there as well, but I'm under the impression that outside of these cases, adrenaline rush is always going to be superior.

Am I missing anything that needs to be mentioned? Because I would love to see more utility for both of these upgrades.

you're missing crackshot

not that it has anything to do with stress, I just mean in general ito one shot upgrades (that **** is cool :P)

Haha ya, I don't think either of these compare with crack shot. Most cases if I'm choosing between the 3 for filler points, crack shot is going to take the cake 9 times out of 10.

It's pretty much if the enemy stresses you, Cool Hand is better. Another corner case, though, is if you think you're going to be blocked or go over an asteroid. You can pull a red maneuver and still get that token that you wouldn't have had otherwise.

Edit: If you pull some sweet play with Cool Hand, and someone says something like "I thought you had nothing", you get to say "Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand."

Now I'm seriously thinking about putting this card in a squad just to try and make that situation happen.

Edited by Biophysical

Cool Hand wins because it has awesome artwork. 

Cool hand may have the best artwork in the game. Hence why I want to find reason to use it so desperately.

I feel like if it traded the stress for a focus or an evade, it would be pretty great, while not overpowered. But in that case, adrenaline rush would then become the trumped upgrade.

fickle's wild baseless theory:

mr PS 7 t-70 (Who is described as "reckless" in EP 7 fluff) has a once per round ability to hold onto one-use epts :D (hence why coolhands exists in an otherwise hand as balls expac)

That would be an awesome ability...I just wish it would be on a Defender pilot.  Imagine the fun (and variety) you could get with a Defender that doesn't have to discard his EPT.  Obviously Crackshot is awesome, but Adrenaline Rush, Lightning Reflexes, Cool Hand all add some cool nifty abilities to the ship (and drastically change the way they play).  You could even make it not discard cards in general and have a legitimate missile boat.   

I'm thinking of trying with 1 A-wing. 5 A-Wings. All have AT and crackshot. 1 A-Wing however has expert handling. Point with that one is to make a unexpected barrel roll and take evade/focus.

fickle's wild baseless theory:

mr PS 7 t-70 (Who is described as "reckless" in EP 7 fluff) has a once per round ability to hold onto one-use epts :D (hence why coolhands exists in an otherwise random as balls expac)

Except that this ability is already in use by Tomax Bren and FFG have yet to duplicate an ability.

I'd maybe say that such a pilot could have the ability to equip a second different EPT card for free, as long as both his EPTs are discard on use.

Cool Hand wins because it has awesome artwork. 

Cool hand may have the best artwork in the game. Hence why I want to find reason to use it so desperately.

I feel like if it traded the stress for a focus or an evade, it would be pretty great, while not overpowered. But in that case, adrenaline rush would then become the trumped upgrade.

yes and no as Cool hand only give you 2 options Adrenaline rush can give you better options depending on your tactics

You could use Cool Hand with any ship using Hera crew, so that you really don't care all that much about all your red maneuvers for days.

Actually, saying that now, it might be a marginally good upgrade on a "keeping it cheap" Bwing to allow that evade when you're in a bad spot.

Edited by CheapCreep

I have used cool hand on luke (Had to be done). I want to try it on Poe as well in a list where i dont have a lot of wiggle room on points. The problem I run into is (as others have said) that crack shot is really good for that " ive got 1pt I don't really know what to do with"

Edited by Spaceman91

I've considered using Adrenaline Rush for an elite Bomber Buddy for Defenders so it has at least a moderate chance to keep up with them once they start k-turning, but I've not playtested it yet.  Seems like it should be worth the point, and Crack Shot is less useful when your goal is just to stick o the ships you're supporting and give them goodies.

Tomax Bren running a shuttle with fleet officer would get tons of mileage out of cool hand. He would be generating out three tokens a turn and always have one for himself. Could be great as a support ship. Heck maybe I would play Kir Kanos again for the second time!

Tomax Bren running a shuttle with fleet officer would get tons of mileage out of cool hand. He would be generating out three tokens a turn and always have one for himself. Could be great as a support ship. Heck maybe I would play Kir Kanos again for the second time!

Yes and he's going to cost nearly as much as or even more than a palpmobile for the privilege, as opposed to a regular Bomber Buddy for 18-22 points.

Tomax wants Crack Shot and munitions, trying to make him into a TIE shuttle is square peg/round hole stuff.  Paying an extra 9 points to get up to PS8 for your support ship in order to give it a single extra evade token per round is... terrible.  Just terrible.

Edited by thespaceinvader

Yes and he's going to cost nearly as much as or even more than a palpmobile for the privilege, as opposed to a regular Bomber Buddy for 18-22 points.

Tomax wants Crack Shot and munitions, trying to make him into a TIE shuttle is square peg/round hole stuff.  Paying an extra 9 points to get up to PS8 for your support ship in order to give it a single extra evade token per round is... terrible.  Just terrible.

The guy wants cool hand to work, I got cool hand to work!

No, you didn't.  Not any more than putting it on ANY other ship is 'making it work'.

Cool Hand is not worth the opportunity cost for ANY ship.

It would probably be just about worth taking if it were not discard-on-use though it would have to cost two or even three; compare it to Outlaw Tech which costs two, but is in a less-hotly-contested slot and provides a better token, but is limited to red manoeuvres rather than just any source of stress.

Edited by thespaceinvader

No, you didn't.  Not any more than putting it on ANY other ship is 'making it work'.

Cool Hand is not worth the opportunity cost for ANY ship.

It would probably be just about worth taking if it were not discard-on-use though it would have to cost two or even three; compare it to Outlaw Tech which costs two, but is in a less-hotly-contested slot and provides a better token, but is limited to red manoeuvres rather than just any source of stress.

It could be a fun and interesting ship to those who don't have their heads shoved so far up the "metas" rear end that they can't see anything else.