Sign in to follow this  
superbabs84321eu

What will wave 3 contain? TFA, Rebels, CW or Legends?

With wave 2 pretty much out of the box, the next question is, what will wave 3 look like?

The first thing we should note is that in Wave 1 and 2 we got pretty much all the original trilogy starships (and some Legends). So, there isn't enough content to fill wave 3 with new original trilogy ships. This means that FFG needs to expand wave 3 into a new directions. For that, I think there are five possible options, all with their pro's and con's. In this thread I'd like to discuss those options and figure out what's likely and what's not. The options are:

1) The Force Awakens

TFA is right at the door, so it is a tempting choice to expand into that direction. While TFA does introduce several fighters and other small craft, insofar we only have one seen one capital ship, the Finalizer Star Destroyer. That's not enough to fill the wave, even if you would combine it with the original trilogy stuff that is left (i.e. the Liberty type)

2) Rebel's stuff

Rebel's, would be a second avenue to expend into. It's not as tempting as TFA, but more suitable than either CW or Legends. More importantly, it's got a few more capital ships. Namely: the Pelta, Arquitens, and Gozanti. These capital ships, are all, however, small based, so again they would have to be reinforced with original trilogy ships. That choice is a bit more logical here since Rebels and OT take place in approximately the same era.

3) Clone Wars stuff

The main advantage is that it features a lot of capital ships (especially episode III). However, Clone Wars is an era which features factions that do not logically extend to the factions in OT. I don't think Armada is ready to introduce more faction's, but I consider it quite possible for republic ships like the Venator, V-wing and ARC-170 to be introduced in the empire faction. After all, canonically, they were used by the Empire (see Tarkin). The main objection against this reasoning is, however, that most Trade Federation ships were not used by the Rebels (altough there are a few exceptions, again, see Tarkin).

4) Legends stuff

The advantage of Legends is that it features a wide array of capital ships that could be introduced. Legends, however, is being phased out, so in that context, it doesn't make sense to create a wave with Legends ships.

5) Mixed

Of course, FFG could always go for a mix of the above, which, given that the most tempting options all lack sufficient content is still an attractive choice.

So what do you think? Discuss!

Babs out!

The more I read the newer books the more I think that the Expanded Universe is not so much phased out vs being picked through for goodies. Things they like are being left in place or re-used into the story. The Aftermath book gives a clear idea on where things are going. Including the line about the New-Republic buying up Imperial naval ships from defecting systems. Either case, I think many of your popular EU vessels will remain on schedule for introduction into the game, as they are the only reasonably well known options outside of the movies. Episode 7 will either feature additional ships we have not seen yet, or simply leave us wondering what else is out there. We do know that the SUper Star Destroyer is once again in the movie, and flashbacks of the past are discussed.

I see mixed as the most likely, similar to Wave 8 of X-wing. That wave has Legends (Scum ships), Rebels(Rebel and Imp ships), and Force Awakened(new TIE/X-wing). That would probably would be the most lucrative option, as it gives both older fans and newer fans ships to purchase.

I'm hoping for more EU stuff.  They could tie it into Ep. VII by using "Aftermath" or "After Endor" in the same way they have used the "Massing at Sullust" as a lead in for Wave II.  That gives them the opportunity to build to things like the new universe's Battle of Jakku, while at the same time using EU ships to do so.  The Liberty is a good option, as would the Interdictor cruiser (if they could find a way to make it fit into the game), and the Wave could be rounded out with some sort of carrier, Correllian Gunships, Dreadnought-Heavy Cruisers that could be used by both sides, and a new fighter pack with EU designs.  E-Wings and TIE Defenders would be nice, but they could also include Z-95s so the Rebels could have a cheap squadron, TIE Avengers, or Missile Gunboats.

Otherwise, I really hope they stay away from The Force Awakens for quite some time.  I remember the hoopla for Episode I, and then realized how pointless all of the Episode I-centric stuff was in terms of timeline and canon.  (and now bad that movie has aged).  Let's hope they don't make a similar mistake with Ep. VII. 

I would really like to see some scum and villain stuff that could be used either as a supplement to imps/rebs or as a stand alone faction. But then, FFG would probably only be able to release 1-2 ships in a single wave, so they would lack variability for at least another wave or so..then again, that would be true for any new faction being introduced. However, they could start as additions to rebs/imps and later be given the option to be used as a 3rd faction. 

TFA is another option, but I am not too fond for "new" TIEs and Wings with slightly differing stats/rules. Not sure what capital ships might be expected from TFA other than the star-destroyer-on-top-of-another-bigger-star-destroyer. 

Supposing we don't see TFA, this would be my dream wave 3 list.

Rebels

Assault Frigate Mark 1 - Medium - We have seen it in Adar Talon's art work

DP-20 - Small - It's just so iconic and in EU a very commonly used ship

Rebel Fighter Pack II - Z-95s E-wings K-wings Laat/i

Empire

Venator class Star Destroyer - Medium? - We know the Empire still uses them, but maybe they should be saved for a Rise of the Empire wave

Interdictor Imobilizer 418 - small - one f the most iconic EU capital ships of all time.

Imperial Fighter Pack II - Tie Avenger Tie Defender Chiss Clawfighter (or whatever) Sentinal class landing craft

The Venators are the same size as the MC80s so I would say they would be large if they appear. I would love for the DP20s to show up. I'm not sure about the AF I though because is so close to the AF II statwise I'm not sure if there is a need for both in Armada. I never understood why the EAW designers created the AF II rather then use the AF I in the game to begin with really.

If they did TFA, I'd like to see that in wave 4, not 3. As for CW, don't think they'll do that at all. That leaves Legends and Rebels, so I'm hoping for a mix of both! Arquitens, Pelta, Ghost/Phantom and Gozanti as a light cruiser/carrier are my hopes for that wave. I'd love to see them all as I both love Rebels and think they are all fantastic ships.

The reason why I don't want TFA ships is because I haven't seen the films, and to get a feel for the ships I think I need to see the films first. Plus, how exciting can they really make slightly different X-Wings/TIEs/Triangles of Doom.

Saying that, aforementioned DP20 would be interesting. Liberty (winged), GR-75, Dreadnought etc

Edited by ElSee

The Venator star destroyer seems like a petty good choice for an Imperial ship. I imagine it'd be something like a cross between the Victory and the Gladiator?
 As for other ships for the Imperial side, I feel like the ones shown in Rebels would be the most likely choice.

On the rebel side, I think there's still a few ships to pick from. The Mon Calamari cruiser could be a very likely choice for another large ship on the Rebels side (I forget what kind of ship it was, but it was the one that wasn't Home One. Empire at War used them as the main rebel capital ships). For smaller ships, they could choose some of the missile frigates and gunboats from Empire at War.

Even if the old books and games arn't cannon, I still think that's the best place to grab wave 3 content.

I would expect one of each faction to get an EpVII ship beyond wave 3 (unless they gave them access to the new stuff a few months ago). At this point they'd need rough drafts to start designing if the next wave is going to come anytime in the next 6-9 months.

Like what Wes Janson said, I think that EU/Legends still has a lot of purchase on the community, and it's definitely something that gets drawn from. Three of the five ships we have now are EU/Legends. There's still more to draw from.

Now, admittedly, there's also a lot of junk in the EU/Legends which I sometimes feel FFG is too ready to draw from. (There's been stuff since Wave 4 in X-Wing that I've questioned the good taste of, but them's the breaks.) Hopefully, they'll give us the cool stuff, only some of the not-so-cool, and none of the junk.

I don't know about TFA, though. They're probably going to have some exec over at Disney breathing down their neck to help Disney make the new stuff popular. Right now I'm not super hyped about that stuff for the same reason as ElSee. I don't love it because I don't know it yet. Hopefully that will change when I get to know it.

Assault Frigate Mark 1 - Medium - We have seen it in Adar Talon's art work

I agree on the Mark 1, though so much of the imagery we see of that - including the Adar Talon art work - makes it look more like a small. Given how it's so much longer than it is wide (compared to the Gladiator), I'd argue that it might be more of a Small than a Medium.

With the Mark 1, however, that also suggests that we should get a Dreadnaught-class cruiser.

I'm hoping for Rebels stuff with a few extra fighters thrown in.

Edit: and a GR-75 Transport.

GR-75 is OP

it can take two fighters against a Star Destroyer and survive :o (stupid cheaty planetary ion cannon)

I really think we should get a GR-75. It's astounding how many of them we see in RotJ.

Nevertheless, the GR-75 in X-Wing does prove how totally OP it is. They would have to nerf it down.

[/irony]

From the original trilogy: what's still missing?

Ships: Super Star Destroyer, Interdictor SD

Really small ships (single model squadrons): GR75, Lambda Shuttle, Dorn Gunship

For fighters, I think we'll see a pack that's a bunch of elite squadrons, even though it's implied by the pilot, rather than named after the key pilot (eg: Rogue Squadron, Gold Squadron, Blue Squad, Obsidian Squad, Sabre Squad, etc). This could be a little response to the weak fighters thought: some non-uniques with some higher stats, etc.

I definitely think next wave will have as many episode vii ships as ffg can put in there, likely a star destroyer from the imps and at least a corvette of some form from the rebels.

I think they will then fill in any gaps using Rebels stuff and if they need a rebel big ship still break out the EU

I imagine we will see the things that exist in X-Wing that we still do not have:

Defender, Phantoms, Decimators, Punishers, Lambdas, Inquisitors TIE, EP7 TIE

E-Wing, Z-95, K-Wing, Ghost, EP7 X-Wing

I know we wont see all of these wave 3, but I do think we will see a fair number of them. I feel all of them are inevitable.

I want to see:

1) Dedicated fighter carriers for rebels and imperials, as medium base ships.  These would have serious fighter boosting abilities as titles, that combo with upgrades for a huge bid towards fighter supremacy.  They would suck against ships though.

2) Elite fighters.  K/E wings, Assault gunboats and TIE defenders would make a good pack, or included in with the fighter carriers (or both).

3) Arquitens class light cruiser for imps, Corellian gunship for rebels as small base ships.  These 2 keep the continuity of faction-look best.

4) Interdictor for imperials (faction specific unique ability ship - interdiction) and GR75 for rebels (faction specific unique ability ship - kamikaze or commando boarding attack).  The game needs some kind of mechanic that either side has that the other just can not do.

Edited by D503

I hope we still get more from the old iconic ships we know about , before we go to any new designs.

I would love to have some old ships that is not so powerfull but iconic to take with in a battle.

A real rebel fleet with old bulk cruisers and so on..

If the wave doesn't have the Liberty Mon Cal, I am going to be fairly angry. It's the only major OT ship we don't have in the game with wave II (SSD shenanigans notwithstanding).

Would also like to see some more proper fighter squadrons. I know Han and Boba sell models, that doesn't make me happy about it.

I guess TFA stuff is inevitable in this game, if it's bad I guess we'll just have to deal.

Just to remind all the imperial players, that while you see the Home One, you have 2 other on screen variants that fight your star destroyers in RotJ

(the one we have)

Mchomeone2a.jpg

(winged-Forward firepower, or even strength forward and side arcs)

MCLiberty.jpg

(wingless- broadside power)

WinglessLiberty.jpg

Although, I would expect to see them between waves 4-6, because Disney is most likely pulling some strings to get force awakens stuff out.