Sign in to follow this  
Funkleton

How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love TLT Spam

I've set a challenge for my gaming group over the next few weeks to help us get over the fear and hatred of TLT spam - not that I think it's going to become a thing in our local meta, but when tournament season comes around we do get some out of town players who are very meta-netlist oriented players (not a criticism - they are great guys)

Each of us brings 2 lists; our nastiest TLT spam list (minimum 3 TLTs) and what we consider to be our best counters - and we try them out on each other to see what works.

I think it will be fun.

The nastiest combination I can think of at the moment looks like this:

Roark Garnet (28) HWK-290 (19), Twin Laser Turret (6), Moldy Crow (or maybe Recon Spec) (3)

Gray Squadron Pilot (29) Y-Wing (20),  Twin Laser Turret (6), R2-D6 (1), Swarm Tactics (2)

Horton Salm (31) Y-Wing (25), Twin Laser Turret (6)

Bandit Squadron Pilot (12)

With Roark passing PS12 to the Gray, then Gray passing it back to Roark using ST - and Horton shooting at PS8, it's going to put a lot of pressure even on high PS arc dodgers.

Downside is that with "only" 6 TLT shots and the Bandit at PS2, I'm going to struggle to take Y-wings off the board before they shoot - which as I see it is going to be one of the keys to beating them. Perhaps drop the Swarm Tactics from the Gray and upgrade to a Tala.

Thoughts?

In terms of my Anti-TLT list I'm less sure - I'm thinking I should aim to beat PS2, force attack dice rerolls, gain defensive rerolls, add some high agility autothrusters, and limit mobility

So I've come up with this:

Green Squadron Pilot (23) x 2
A-Wing (19), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Chardaan Refit (-2), Wired (1), Autothrusters (2), Push the Limit (3)

Ibtisam (34)
B-Wing (28), Sensor Jammer (4), Elusiveness (2)

Lieutenant Blount (20)
Z-95 Headhunter (17), Ion Pulse Missiles (3)

Feedback ?

Edited by Funkleton

I love A-wings. (with ptl/autothrusters of course; rest may vary)

3 of them with named pilots (Tycho/Jake) and a hefty missile strike tends to murderize tlt spam in a spanking sparkly way.

Works well vs fat pancakes too. Not nearly as good vs elite ships with lots of greens.

Workable though. And the most fun you can have with your pants on. (shared with below interceptors)

3 Interceptors do a similar job.

No missiles but 'standard' 3 red dice means a slightly different tactic but still works.

And yes; as much fun as A-Wings.

Me? biased?

im-not-in-denial-denial-reality-japanese

Syndicate Thung, Twin-Laser Turret, Unhinged Astromech x4 = 100 pts.

That's up to 8pts of damage per turn damage output, more manoeuvrable than a rebel y-wing list and a whopping 32 hull/shields. You're not gonna find a much better list to showcase a y-wing with TLT setup because although pilot abilities and combos can be nice, but raw numbers beat chance and skill.

To counter TLT lists? Easy, just fly ships that can rush to close range and lay immense damage down (Tie-Swarms, Interceptors, A-Wings, Starvipers, Khirakx), ships that can equip autothrusters and stay out the Y-wing arcs at range (A-wings, Interceptors, IG-2000 etc) or ships that can futz with the Y-wings manoeuvring (bombers, ion cannons etc)

I need to try out quad Phantom against it. Problem is that I'm the only one in our meta that flies quad TLT so I feel the need to fly it. The last time I didn't fly quad TLT everyone else at the event was flying falcon/dash and Miranda, with one other guy flying chewy leebo. >_>

Our meta is very net-listy/fat Turretwing oriented. I don't enjoy flying it that much but fat Turretwing must die.

I need to try out quad Phantom against it. Problem is that I'm the only one in our meta that flies quad TLT so I feel the need to fly it. The last time I didn't fly quad TLT everyone else at the event was flying falcon/dash and Miranda, with one other guy flying chewy leebo. >_>

Our meta is very net-listy/fat Turretwing oriented. I don't enjoy flying it that much but fat Turretwing must die.

Yes brother make those PWT users weep tears of blood!

in reference to the xizor list, it doesn't pass the damage from the tlt it avoids it completly, mostly because in my experience when tlt swarms shoot rarely do they have focus, so try it get 3 red dice, 3 green dice and simulate no focus on both but one red turns to a focus and one blank green turns to an evade and see how many times a damage actually gets through.  It isn't that often, I've tried it and let me tell you its why I often run xizor against lots of things that only throw 3 dice thru a turret he is very very hard to actually hit, you only use him instead of guri so if someone shoots him with something not a tlt you can shift damage you take from that.  So see how it works IMO its pretty amazing.

You can still miss with tlt, you could take four tempest with AC and get eight hits a turn which those y-wings will not dodge the damage most of the time and you still have points for a fifth ship.

Skip the fifth ship; put Cluster Missiles on all of the Tempests. With proper flying, you an potentially take out two TLT-wings in a single turn.

Fat turretwing will never completely die. As much as some of us want it to. (I still scratch my head sometimes when I read the description of X-wing- a dog-fighting game with nimble starfighters?!) It's part of the 'paper, rock, scissors' meta that we all have to deal with.

Xizor, Sensor Jammer, Autothrusters, someone to fob the rare point of damage onto.

Practically immune to TLTs.

Xizors ability doesn't work against TLTs, better of doing Guri.

It does beg the question WHY Xizor's ability doesn't work against TLT's, though.

"When defending a ship at Range 1 may suffer one uncancelled hit or crit instead of you."

So if there's only one uncancelled hit from a TLT left, you SHOULD be able to pass it off to a friendly ship, which then takes the damage from the TLT attack instead of Xizor.

Not arguing that it doesn't work, just wondering why it doesn't work.

Edited by FTS Gecko

You can still miss with tlt, you could take four tempest with AC and get eight hits a turn which those y-wings will not dodge the damage most of the time and you still have points for a fifth ship.

You could take 4x AC Storm Squadrons, 2 with Cluster Missile, and burn down Ys before they shoot, or you could take 3x AC Tempest and a 37 point ATC Vader for flexibility against other lists.

PS bidding with TLTs will become a thing, I think. There's real potential to kill a Gold/Thug a round for the first two rounds of actual combat, preventing 8 TLT shots from even occurring.

Gray Squadron Pilot (20)

Twin Laser Turret (6)

Gray Squadron Pilot (20)

Twin Laser Turret (6)

Gray Squadron Pilot (20)

Twin Laser Turret (6)

Green Squadron Pilot (19)

Push the Limit (3)

Chardaan Refit (-2)

Autothrusters (2)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Scum variant can use N'dru, Black Sun Soldier, Scyk, or an Autoblaster Warthog Hired Gun with three TLT Hired Guns.

Edited by Skargoth

Xizor, Sensor Jammer, Autothrusters, someone to fob the rare point of damage onto.

It does beg the question WHY Xizor's ability doesn't work against TLT's, though.

"When defending a ship at Range 1 may suffer one uncancelled hit or crit instead of you."

So if there's only one uncancelled hit from a TLT left, you SHOULD be able to pass it off to a friendly ship, which then takes the damage from the TLT attack instead of Xizor.

Didn't Alex say something about Xizor vs. TLTs on the last S&V?

fools that you are, some of you may laugh at me, but if you want yet another counter TLTs you might actually want to dig up Redline

yeah yeah, the horror of one agility

here's how it works:

assuming you didn't trundle the punisher into range of every dang TLT on the table, you're actually not tacking nearly enough damage to die. You are, however, spitting back enough ordnance to reliably one-round a TLT with an accompanying mini-swarm (zeta + PTL and 3 obsidians, currently)

torps of any kind (currently plasma for cheapness, but you my wish for protons instead) at range three will reliably rip off shields. Cluster missile will simply savage poor agility 1 opponents.

If Redline isn't focused down (if he is, the ties get to do their thing) he gets to start boosting into doughnut holes in the late game.

Redline hits like an absolute bastard at the cost of being a bit of a glasscannon (Wedgeitis, only he's not in a crappy X-wing). His success is ultimately predicated how well you and your opponent can concentrate fire (and avoid having fire concentrated on you).

On the other end of the line, here is my counter thrusters TLT list:

Miranda (TLT, c3po)

Warden (TLT, conners, munis, a-slam)

Gold (TLT, r4-d6)

high PS aces like soontir or even Vader (though vader will get diced by tlts something fierce) are helpless before the might of the conner net :)

problem is I ran this almost perfectly against aggressors (conners against FCS ggressors do work,and the ionization really butchers their positioning ability) and they still came out ahead; stupid green dice <_<

From the FAQ:

If Prince Xizor is hit by an attack with an effect that triggers upon being hit and cancels dice results (such Ion Cannon, Ion Cannon Turret, Flechette Cannon, or Ion Pulse Missiles), he cannot use his ability and must suffer the effect of that card.

Though it doesn't specifically mention TLT since the update, it falls under the same rules.

Xizor only pawns off uncanceled hit and crit results

TLTs immediately cancel all dice results upon hitting the opponent (so after greens cancel reds) and then deals a face-down damage. Xizor's ability does not apply to damage, only to an uncancelled die result

XIZOR CANNOT PAWN OFF TLT (or ions/flechette/tractor beams/tracers for that matter)

not that he needs to, between 3 agility and thrusters, but still

the man's gotta have a weakness or two, right? :P

Edited by ficklegreendice