Sign in to follow this  
jdubs

Terrible player looking for mentor

Hello.  I lose approximately 95% of my games both IRL and on vassal, usually only killing zero or maybe 1 ship of my opponent.  I'm very close to just throwing away my collection because I'm tired of just losing over and over, would anyone be willing to try to mentor me on vassal and see if it's even possible for me to improve and worth keeping my stuff?  Thanks.

What are you flying? While there aren't any truly broken lists, it is possible to make very weak ones that give you an uphill battle from the start.

There are a ton of great "Flight School" videos on Youtube that I'm sure a few posters in this thread will link. Some of them have some great tricks.

Have you tried checking out some of the X-Wing tactics videos on youtube? There's quite a few explaining things like Formation flying, and being able to set up favourable position's.

You could also watch some of the big tourny games on youtube and see how the top players go about doing things.I did alot of reading and watching in relation to this game before even having my first friendly match so I had a firm grasp of the concepts of how tactics work in X-Wing

Do you play different people all the time or just one?

I used to only play a single person and I really was bad and lost the vast majority of games. However once I started playing lots of different people at my local gaming place both my gameplay (I'd now consider myself average) and enjoyment of the game have increased massively.

Dude! don't hang your head! When i first started, getting an action was a bonus-i collided with ships/asteroids that often :wacko:

Practice obviously really helps but two things in particular really made a difference for me;

1) the movement guide in the "earning your wings" thread (can be found in the "index of useful links" thread pinned to page 1 of the forum page)

2) we ran a league using only base level generic pilots (with no upgrades allowed) where we learnt to put more emphasis on ship piloting rather than using/beating amazing pilot/upgrade combo's

I've never used vassel so i can't help on that platform unfortunately however, if you live/play anyway near me/my local gaming group (NW England) you'd always be welcome to come play, learn (and teach us - we're always happy to learn from people ourselves). Failing this, as mentioned above, there are loads of informative vids out there too...

Don't give up mate, if you're anything like me my learning was in fits and spurts rather than linear as particular aspects of the game suddenly clicked into place for me... :D

Hey guys, I found a mentor who has been really helpful and awesome and gotten me to be more positive about the game again.  He spent a few hours with me on vassal and I learned a lot :)

Awesome. I'm hoping I can find one too. Glad to hear it. 

I have been playing for about 6 months now. In the beginning, I would basically always lose. There is a learning curve that you get over as you play... It will come to you naturally :)

Edited by mtrein

Hello.  I lose approximately 95% of my games both IRL and on vassal, usually only killing zero or maybe 1 ship of my opponent.  I'm very close to just throwing away my collection because I'm tired of just losing over and over, would anyone be willing to try to mentor me on vassal and see if it's even possible for me to improve and worth keeping my stuff?  Thanks.

I was just remarking to a friend that the game has reached a complexity that the difference between newer players and veteran players can be rather large -- along with what may be hunderds of games of experience.  There are at least twice the number of ships as when I entered the game and more than twice the pilots and pilot abilities.   I guess my point is, don't get discouraged but try to do the following, and not necessarily in this order:

1)  Try to create lists that don't have too much going on, featuring a couple of ships that you like.   Play it a few times and then switch things up, but get to know it.

2)  See if there are players at your level of experience and ask them for some games.  

3) If you're playing someone more experienced, let them know in advance.  In those situations, I change up my own list and approach the game differently. Even ask for advice/feedback even during the game after making a decision ("Ok, I'm going to boost left.  What would you have done?" )

4)  Watch the videos here:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVfyteSBiELJQtovkGkFxyg

5)  Read the article here:  https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/110115-earning-your-wings-a-guide-for-understanding-movment/

6)  Practice flying on your own tabletop.

Hope that helps.

Don't give up, man. I remember when I was new to this, I watched a bunch of Worlds and Nationals videos on YouTube (this was back during Wave 3) and that really helped me to get into my opponent's head and think what they're thinking, and to build squads that would anticipate the favored tactics of the meta. However, I guess that was back during wave 3, where there was a meta.

I haven't seen a meta in my local group since wave 5. Waves 6 and 7 utterly destroyed any predictability or sure-fire win methods. It's only when going to Regionals and other such big events that I see people flying the same lists.