Sign in to follow this  
Obihobit

Dice question and Yog-Sothoth question

1. I've seen this mentioned in a few topics, but it still sounds too good to be true - additional die ablity (Musician and Expedition Leader have it, or Urban Guide) applies to ALL tests? So, basically Jim Culver (Musician) gets +1 Strength and +1 will in combat, along with other bonuses to Strength/Will from other items? As for Urban Guide it applies to all tests, whether it's Influence, Observation right?

2. In the setup section of Yog-Sothoth's card it states that some monsters (I think a Goat Spawn and a Dark Young) are set aside. Why?

1. Correct. Additional dice are added to rolls regardless of the bonus you currently have (a bonus is specifically anything that says +X). So if you already have +1 strength (bonus) to combat checks from a weapon, Jim's additional die STILL applies and you get another one. However, you cannot apply more than one BONUS to a die roll, and you must always apply the largest bonus you can.

In regards to Jim, yes, it IS good. People overlook it sometimes...BUT he starts with shriveling a ritual spell and no weapon... so to REALLY take advantage of it, you're gonna need to go shopping... or get lucky. It only applies to rolls during combat. And Urban guide IS good for sure, but that's why the influence cost for it is so high. And remember, you have to be on a city space to get that extra die. Here's the kicker, if Jim has the Urban guide and is fighting a monster IN A CITY, he gets TWO additional dice during the combat since neither is a BONUS and both conditions are true.  :lol: 

2. This is mostly so you don't run into the circumstance where a Ancient One mechanic spawns a monster of that type... but they are already all on the board.... You put them aside so they won't spawn UNTIL the mechanism triggers. In the case of Shub-Niggurath (pretty sure this is the one you mean), the lore behind him is tied to those specific monsters. If you didn't know, Eldritch Horror is based on the stories of H.P Lovecraft and his contemporaries (Derleth, etc). It's flavor and recognition of the game's inspiration.

Edited by Soakman

Yeah, I meant Shub-Niggurath. We were playing a game against Yog-Sothoth and were preparing for Shub-Niggurath said, so I made the ol' switcheroo. I'm familiar with the lore.

Thanks for the clarification, still learning the ropes!

Edited by Obihobit

Since I've asked a few beginner's questions here and there doesn't seem to exist a general Q&A topic, thought I'd ask this one too - which conditions are common and which aren't? I'm thinking Debt and Injuries are common, but I'd like to be sure since I didn't really see it in the rules (page reference would be great if it exists).

Also, what's the point of the Mystery token?

Edited by Obihobit

Debts are currently the only common conditions (notice that they outright say "common" in the type line).

The mystery token is used by some mysteries to indicate spaces on the map where the investigators can encounter the mystery. They are only relevant for some mysteries though.

Keywords such as "common" are probably specified as they are trying not to write themselves into a mechanical corner. By leaving the keywords there and being more specific in terms of triggers, the designer can choose to add additional conditions down the road that will hit those triggers without having to rehaul old cards. Pretty clever.  

This does not guarantee that there WILL be more cards with any particular keyword in the future however.

I'm guessing this question is in regards to Jacqueline's ability. It's a good thing you asked, because if injuries couldn't trigger her ability, you would be missing out!

Actually, the injuries are THE LEAST common condition that I've seen coming up in games. It's usually madness or debts (or unfortunately, dark pacts). Past two games, I haven't seen a single injury. Weird.

Anyways, here I am with more questions after the last game:

1. Is it possible to take a loan from the bank (during the Acquire Assets action) and try to pay the debt (Local Action) in the same turn? I'm aware those are different actions but both are based off Influence, so I'm wondering if there's some kind of collision there...

2. When a card which isn't a Mythos card advances the Omen (I think it was an Azathoth Research card or perhaps Other World encounter, I can't remember), does it also moves the Doom count forward if the next symbol matches the current gates? Or does that only happen with Mythos cards? I'm aware there are beneficial Mythos cards that allow you to move Omen as you see fit without the consequences of Advancing Omen mythos effect, this isn't the card I'm talking about.

Edited by Obihobit

1: Yes you can pay the debt off in the same turn you acquire it as they are separate actions. The fact that both rely on influence does not matter.

2: Unless the card telling you to advance the omen mentions "without advancing doom", you should always advance doom as needed as the triggering cause for that is the omen advancing, not the mythos phase (although that is usually when it will advance). 

There's the sanctuary asset, but that is one asset in a deck of assets that is growing with every expansion, so I wouldn't count on it.

There's also at least one easy mythos card that can help with dark pacts, but that's even more rare.

In short - if you're very lucky, you can get rid of dark pacts, but the only reliable way not to have one is to not enter one in the first place.

I don't have any expansions, so it's not that hard to go through the whole Assets deck in one game. Well, good to know that there are ways to remove it. In both our last games we where in a situation where we solved the three mysteries, doom counter was at 1 and the only thing there was left to do was survive until the end of the turn. Both times the player with the Dark Pact rolled a 1 and advanced the Doom to 0. Once it was against Yog-Sothoth so we managed to salvage the situation, the second time was against Azathoth, so bye bye world...

I just remembered another question - can you use multiple clues to get rerolls? Burn one to get a reroll, the result still isn't success, burn another one, etc?

Edited by Obihobit

I just remembered another question - can you use multiple clues to get rerolls? Burn one to get a reroll, the result still isn't success, burn another one, etc?

Yes, you can use as many clues as you want.

The key thing to remember (which you seem to get, but some don't) is that clues are giving you a re-roll of an existing die, not an additional roll. So if you need two successes to take down that monster but are rolling only one die, then no amount of clues will get you to what you need!  :)